Build thread of my 1970 Ghia Vert

Beetle, Karmann Ghia, Thing.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Re: Time to refresh the engine and tranny

Post by Bleyseng » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:32 am

Ok Colin, pulled it apart and got it to .004 as the tranny rebuilder is taking his sweet time on my rebuild. Finally I hear from him as he opened it up for inspection. Tells me the gear stacks are sweet, bearings are in great shape and except for a trashed reverse and the shot syncros it's a good tranny. Yep, that's why it was so hard to shift and downshift and had a reverse that popped out (duh). When I got the ghia of course the tranny was out of oil so this is good news. It leaked almost as bad as the engine did.

Another week or two before it's done so I will finish up the engine assembly including adding back in the warm up flaps and a thermostat. Why do people rip those out? Without those it took this poor ghia quite a few miles of driving before it got hot enough to de-mist the windshield and just run properly.
The sheetmvetal repair work is at a standstill as I haven't had anytime for that with all the other BS life has thrown at me. Back to digging up a sewer line connection that needs repair and I hate digging....and pulling apart a rockery just to get to the line....
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:29 am

Bleyseng wrote:Ok Colin, pulled it apart and got it to .004 as the tranny rebuilder is taking his sweet time on my rebuild. Finally I hear from him as he opened it up for inspection. Tells me the gear stacks are sweet, bearings are in great shape and except for a trashed reverse and the shot syncros it's a good tranny. Yep, that's why it was so hard to shift and downshift and had a reverse that popped out (duh). When I got the ghia of course the tranny was out of oil so this is good news. It leaked almost as bad as the engine did.

Another week or two before it's done so I will finish up the engine assembly including adding back in the warm up flaps and a thermostat. Why do people rip those out? Without those it took this poor ghia quite a few miles of driving before it got hot enough to de-mist the windshield and just run properly.
The sheetmvetal repair work is at a standstill as I haven't had anytime for that with all the other BS life has thrown at me. Back to digging up a sewer line connection that needs repair and I hate digging....and pulling apart a rockery just to get to the line....
From .004" to digging up sewer lines . .. . a day in the life of a Renaissance Man.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:03 am

Yes, I envy you with no house to mind and with its endless chores.
The ghias engine tin is mostly repainted satin black and getting assembled.
Sundays are now Framers Market Day as we sell local fresh havested cranberries a HS friend grows. Lots of fun meeting people at the markets.
Sewer line is fixed!
Geoff

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:35 pm

Finally drove out to Ken's (thebusco) to pickup the fan flap assembly as it was ripped out for no good reason. Spent two hours chatting with my old friend so it was fun to see him. Now to finish assemblying the engine and for me to finish the welding.
Geoff

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:28 am

Bleyseng wrote:Finally drove out to Ken's (thebusco) to pickup the fan flap assembly as it was ripped out for no good reason. Spent two hours chatting with my old friend so it was fun to see him. Now to finish assembling the engine and for me to finish the welding.
Why satin black on the engine?
What did you and Ken have to say about the state of/future of the hobby?
Colin

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:33 am

Why satin black? cuz it's the color of oem stock in a rattle can as I can't afford powder coating for the tin this time.
We chatted about the loss of local VW friends as we are getting old and people are dying right and left......his projects that never seem to have any progress.....79 California exhaust crossovers that he should list here to sell and a lots of other good parts and that he should come to Maupin this year finally and enjoy the camping party community there.

Tons of progress on the engine as it's all back together so now to finish the welding while waiting waiting for the transmission to be finished. :scratch:

I did pick up a 79 wiper switch with the intermittent function and the special wiring harness. So now I can have intermittent wipers and control a electric washer, Yay! Lots to pull apart to install the wiring harness but that's a good rainy day project. :sunny:
Geoff

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:59 am

Bleyseng wrote:Why satin black? cuz it's the color of oem stock in a rattle can

I did pick up a 79 wiper switch with the intermittent function and the special wiring harness. So now I can have intermittent wipers and control a electric washer, Yay! Lots to pull apart to install the wiring harness but that's a good rainy day project. :sunny:

I have two original Volkswagen engines in my stable, the Squareback and the BobD. Their tins have a finish most closely approximating "universal black" with maybe just a touch more white than the commonly available universal black engine enamels (minimum temperature rating at least 500*).

Chloe had a satin black that was not engine enamel. I was so appalled the first time I tried to wipe down the engine with a gas soaked rag and the paint stripped right down to the primer (no primer, please).
So, last spring, I painted the tins and the fan housing with Rustoleum Engine Enamel. Looked a bit glossy:

. . . but after 20,000 miles, it looks as factory as the BobD and the Squareback.
What brand of paint did you use?
Colin

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:02 am

Rustoleum statin black and that 1600 Single Port looks just like mine except for the muffler
Geoff

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:40 pm

Bleyseng wrote:Rustoleum statin black and that 1600 Single Port looks just like mine except for the muffler
I have great affection for my little 1600. It has been a loyal little trouper.
Colin

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:47 am

The assembled engine waiting for the final pieces and still waiting for the transmission
Attachments
IMG_6373.jpg
Geoff

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:58 am

Shiny new muffler. Nice. I hope it went on better than the new one I just put onto Bertha.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:27 pm

Probably about the same as in "it fit like sh*t"! A few attempts at straightening stuff so it lined up and Voila it fit like a glove.

Now to soda blast the carb, fuel pump and dizzy so they are shiny and new looking and I will be happy. Can't wait to run it with newish heat exchangers that won't stink like burnt oil and exhaust fumes!
Geoff

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:40 pm

Yep, I failed to do that, so must back-track and do the "bending" to get a better fit, as I have an exhaust leak that is going into the cabin heat.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:16 pm

Lookin good, long may she run.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:18 am

Bleyseng wrote:Probably about the same as in "it fit like sh*t"! A few attempts at straightening stuff so it lined up and Voila it fit like a glove.

Now to soda blast the carb, fuel pump and dizzy so they are shiny and new looking and I will be happy. Can't wait to run it with newish heat exchangers that won't stink like burnt oil and exhaust fumes!

Is that a sticker I see on the muffler? If so, I'm guessing that's the paint that came on it. After your first run on the highway, all that paint will peel off and leave you with a pink/green primer showing all over, followed soon by surface rust and structural rust. If you're going the blasting route for the smaller stuff, can you blast the muffler off and hit it with VHT Flame Proof coating? 7$ a can, one primer and one paint, will cover the whole thing. It happened to me last year, and it totally put a damper on my vibe, man.

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.