Yesterday's earthquake in DC was Bush's fault. :)

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Yesterday's earthquake in DC was Bush's fault. :)

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:36 am

steve74baywin wrote:
vdubyah73 wrote:it was just the founding fathers rolling in their graves ;-)
RussellK wrote:I thought it was Atlas shrugging

Wow, excellent thinking. I think it is both the founding fathers rolling and Atlas shrugged, and Colin and Obama are the reason. The great novel "Atlas Shrugged" did come out as a movie just a few months ago.
Leave me out of it.
That is a distinction here in Free Speech that I have had to belabor.
Yes, public persons are in a position to suffer the slings and arrows of our opinions, but we members of the forum deserve to have our autonomy.
Remember the "you" statements that I try to forbid, the ones where a poster does not have the right to tell others what they think or who they are ("yore just a liberal sociallist") ?
I do not want my name associated with the above.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:05 pm

"And don't forget the Atheist ~ God bless them. " =D>

A great Rachel Maddow line from last night that cracked me up. She was reporting on all the fringe groups muddling up our political process.

Will have to look for Atlas Shrugged movie, read the book too many yrs ago. Have a new paper back copy I really don,t have time for.
'69 weekender ~ Elwood

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Post by steve74baywin » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:34 pm

Elwood wrote: Will have to look for Atlas Shrugged movie, read the book too many yrs ago. Have a new paper back copy I really don,t have time for.
The official Atlas Shrugged the movie's site. http://www.atlasshruggedpart1.com/

The Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W07bFa4TzM

It was already in Tampa, I didn't get to see it. I'm waiting for it to be on DVD.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:20 pm

L Ron Hubbard was a much more prolific writer.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:02 pm

Gotta admit, at first I assumed it was facetiousness when you called Atlas Shrugged a great novel. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:58 pm

Velokid1 wrote:Gotta admit, at first I assumed it was facetiousness when you called Atlas Shrugged a great novel. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.
lol, sorry, but I suspect Steve holds Ayn Rand's work of fiction in high regard, correct me if I'm wrong Steve.

Based on the movie reviews, waiting for the DVD of Atlas Shrugged would be a good call in my book.

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Post by steve74baywin » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:40 am

ruckman101 wrote:
Velokid1 wrote:Gotta admit, at first I assumed it was facetiousness when you called Atlas Shrugged a great novel. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.
lol, sorry, but I suspect Steve holds Ayn Rand's work of fiction in high regard, correct me if I'm wrong Steve.

Based on the movie reviews, waiting for the DVD of Atlas Shrugged would be a good call in my book.
I have not read any of her novels. I have seen the old movie "The Fountainhead" a little bit ago. I have see interviews of her and I understand her work. I do agree with much of what she has to say. I do think it is funny how some people have a real hard time with a few of her ideas. They seem to get hung up on certain words and then become unable to think clearly through the concepts. It seems very similar to what is happening when a few people parrot incorrect, illogical statements about Libertarianism. I actually can look and see the clever way the media and others have conditioned them to such simpleton logic.

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Post by steve74baywin » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:01 am

Amskeptic wrote:
steve74baywin wrote:
vdubyah73 wrote:it was just the founding fathers rolling in their graves ;-)
RussellK wrote:I thought it was Atlas shrugging

Wow, excellent thinking. I think it is both the founding fathers rolling and Atlas shrugged, and Colin and Obama are the reason. The great novel "Atlas Shrugged" did come out as a movie just a few months ago.
Leave me out of it.
That is a distinction here in Free Speech that I have had to belabor.
Yes, public persons are in a position to suffer the slings and arrows of our opinions, but we members of the forum deserve to have our autonomy.
Remember the "you" statements that I try to forbid, the ones where a poster does not have the right to tell others what they think or who they are ("yore just a liberal sociallist") ?
I do not want my name associated with the above.
Colin
I have mentioned on here how I sometimes "miss" certain things. Sometimes people comment on something and I think "oh cool, they like that too" only to find out they were being sarcastic and actually dislike it.
So I am telling you Colin that I am uncertain how to take what you posted.
Are you taking the humor to an even greater level? or
Are you really upset and think what I did was wrong and you don't want to see that anymore around here?
I sincerely ask. I dislike being clueless.

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:12 am

My own dislike of Atlas Shrugged has very little to do with the concepts in the book. To be honest, I was very young (19) when I read the book and it came to me without any notion of it being a political or social commentary and frankly I wasn't able to read it that way at the time. I had zero interest in politics at that age and the point was lost on me. So I'm speaking entirely to Ayn's mastery of the craft. I don't really agree with Hemingway's ideas but you can't deny that he was a master of the craft. Atlas Shrugged seemed overly long and clumsy to me. I should have a look inside it's covers again, I suppose.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:10 am

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:37 am

ruckman101 wrote:Michelle Bachmann called it.

http://news.yahoo.com/bachmann-irene-go ... 24573.html

neal
For some reason all I heard was Twilight Zone music

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Post by steve74baywin » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:48 am

RussellK wrote:
ruckman101 wrote:Michelle Bachmann called it.

http://news.yahoo.com/bachmann-irene-go ... 24573.html

neal
For some reason all I heard was Twilight Zone music
I think it is an article, reading only.
Oh wait, I think I've been had again.
Yeah, it is like something from the Twilight Zone, but I encounter that feeling often.