Republicans walk out

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Re: Republicans walk out

Post by Velokid1 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:11 am

:geek:

Another way of explaining what I'm saying: there are all kinds of bicyclists. They argue endlessly about what kind of bike is best, what kind of riding is best, etc. Just like any other hobby.

If I speak in front of a group of bicyclists and say "Scream out loud if you think singlespeed mountain bikes are best. Okay, now scream out loud if you think multi-speed commuter bikes are best." What about all the people who didn't scream? Do I assume they all agree that multi-speed mountain bikes are best? Some of them may. But not all of them. Someone may have refrained from screaming because they are uncomfortable with screaming. Some because they think multi-speed road racing bikes are best. Or singlespeed road bikes. Or tricycles. Or they only came to the event with their wife and they don't like ANY kind of bike. It would be strange to assume that everyone in the room who didn't scream was silently supporting singlespeed mountain bikes or multi-speed commuter bikes.

The fact is that room of cyclists is probably representative of a very wide range of types of cyclists.

Of course, I would say to everyone, "20 of you screamed for multi-speed commuter bikes and 20 of you screamed for singlespeed mountain bikes... but I happen to KNOW, based on the Law of the Silent Majority, that the 40 of you that didn't scream actually WANTED to scream for singlespeed mountain bikes... so that's where our club's money is going to go... toward building new flowy singletrack trails, because I can tell that's what the silent majority wants.

:flower:

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:22 am

Velokid1 wrote:Of course, I would say to everyone, "20 of you screamed for multi-speed commuter bikes and 20 of you screamed for singlespeed mountain bikes... but I happen to KNOW, based on the Law of the Silent Majority, that the 40 of you that didn't scream actually WANTED to scream for singlespeed mountain bikes... so that's where our club's money is going to go... toward building new flowy singletrack trails, because I can tell that's what the silent majority wants.

Then the 40 non-screamers go away bitching their opinion was not taken into consideration and quit your club.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:30 pm

Sylvester wrote:
Velokid1 wrote:Of course, I would say to everyone, "20 of you screamed for multi-speed commuter bikes and 20 of you screamed for singlespeed mountain bikes... but I happen to KNOW, based on the Law of the Silent Majority, that the 40 of you that didn't scream actually WANTED to scream for singlespeed mountain bikes... so that's where our club's money is going to go... toward building new flowy singletrack trails, because I can tell that's what the silent majority wants.

Then the 40 non-screamers go away bitching their opinion was not taken into consideration and quit your club.
Well, jeepers, Wally... what would they have to be upset about? They're all in agreement. They're the silent majority.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:07 am

Velo, your example suggests to me that those who didn't scream, essentially didn't vote, didn't weigh in, didn't voice a position. Did not participate for whatever reason. Perhaps falling between the two proffered choices, without truly embracing either whole heartedly.

Although I suspect the classic definition of the "silent majority" when cited politically is with the assumption that the silent majority participates in the process by voting on election days.

The silent majority are truly, the disenfranchised non-voters. The bulk of which just don't care about politics, no connection to immediate circumstance. Getting by personally takes a priority. More people don't vote than do. That's a silent majority, not without political consequence, or perhaps even design.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:57 pm

Velo u rite gud. 1000x hi-fives.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:35 pm

I just wish the Republicans would start working towards the good of this country's people instead of what seems to be their single effort against Obama.

neal

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:04 pm

ruckman101 wrote:I just wish the Republicans would start working towards the good of this country's people instead of what seems to be their single effort against Obama.

neal
Wouldn't the first accomplish the second by default? I know, too easy.
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Post by steve74baywin » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:35 am

dtrumbo wrote:
ruckman101 wrote:I just wish the Republicans would start working towards the good of this country's people instead of what seems to be their single effort against Obama.

neal
Wouldn't the first accomplish the second by default? I know, too easy.
That's sounds about right.
I don't like the partisan smoke and mirrors, but I certainly don't want anything Obama is doing.
If they did what was good for this country they would be going against what Obama is doing and what their own Party did for the last 12 decades, and that would be great.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:44 am

Gee, I've heard this refrain before, although the stance has flopped. When the shrub embroiled us in a never-ending war against terrorism, anyone who dared disagree was loudly labeled anti-american. Now, anyone supporting the president is loudly labeled anti-american?

I agree, it is a positive that the republicans, now that Obama has embraced their past positions, decry those positions now, working from a "Against Obama is for the country" position already being echoed even here, I guess the question is "Whose country?". All I've seen is efforts to steal money from the poor to give to the elites. If we're a plutocracy, dandy, if you're a working stiff, this country has been stolen.

neal

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Post by steve74baywin » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:19 am

Yes, it is amazing, it actually pisses me off to see the two faced lying Republicans up there pretending to understand a few things. The republican primary debates is an excellent example, there are stooges up there repeating small portions of what Ron Paul has been saying, but they are just saying that to get elected, they are still owned and influenced by the CFR and it's leaders, they are doing the same thing Obama did, telling the people what they think is best for the people to hear, but they know all too well that later they follow what their rich associates who have guided then thus far in life tell them to do.

Anyone who promises to get you something via this Fed Reserve(hidden tax) and Income Tax system should not be trusted, I mean, come on, why trust someone who wants to point guns and use the threat of jail to take from someone else and give to you. They are just getting you to sell your soul and get down and dirty like them. They feel less guilty when they steal from the population and live rich, the guilt is removed from them by each and every one of you that lets them know you want them to steal from some one else and give it to you. Of course, they hardly ever give it to you, but someone who steals and would hurt should not be expected to hold true to their promises.

Step back, observe the bigger picture, this is an interesting concept. They get you to be all happy and begging to get them to use force, guns, violence and incarceration to make an aspect of your life better. They get you to join their evil, criminal team. Don't let them do this to you.

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:19 pm

I'm pulling for Obama here. The Republicans are so blatantly playing partisan political games, all the while adopting a self-righteous attitude.

But the truth is, both sides are playing politics and the Repub vs Dem bullshit is nothing more than a distraction from the true issue. Business needs to get the fuck out of public policy. Campaign finance reform should be top priority. Right NOW. Nothing else matters until you find a way to change the culture, and our culture is "hey, it's okay to suck d**k for money."

The Republicans are douchebags.
The Democrats are hot on their heels in the Douchbag World Championships.
And the Libertarian "Freedom as Religion" shit is hollow, not pragmatic in the least, and frankly I'm so sick of the Libertarian zealots that even if I wanted to support Ron Paul this go-round, I wouldn't... just because I do not want to hear another word about "freedom" from people who don't understand the word "balance."

[And yes, that was a rant. I have gotten better at tempering those thoughts and being less judgmental on the whole, but I think bottling some of those thoughts leads me to sudden fits of letting off steam now and again. Today my steam landed on IAC. Peace.]

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:33 pm

" Politics is a brothel "

Nicole Minetti, a former 'dental hygienist ' to Silvio Berslusconi , now regional councilor for the ruling party.
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:47 am

Velokid1 wrote:I'm pulling for Obama here. The Republicans are so blatantly playing partisan political games, all the while adopting a self-righteous attitude.

But the truth is, both sides are playing politics and the Repub vs Dem bullshit is nothing more than a distraction from the true issue. Business needs to get the fuck out of public policy. Campaign finance reform should be top priority. Right NOW. Nothing else matters until you find a way to change the culture, and our culture is "hey, it's okay to suck d**k for money."

The Republicans are douchebags.
The Democrats are hot on their heels in the Douchbag World Championships.
And the Libertarian "Freedom as Religion" shit is hollow, not pragmatic in the least, and frankly I'm so sick of the Libertarian zealots that even if I wanted to support Ron Paul this go-round, I wouldn't... just because I do not want to hear another word about "freedom" from people who don't understand the word "balance."

[And yes, that was a rant. I have gotten better at tempering those thoughts and being less judgmental on the whole, but I think bottling some of those thoughts leads me to sudden fits of letting off steam now and again. Today my steam landed on IAC. Peace.]
Fantastic! See? No personal smears but good hot impassioned principled ranting.
Colin
(in my best kindergarten teacher sing-song voice:
"good diatribing, Velokid1!")
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:37 pm

This recently hailed compromise sickens me. Stewardship my ass.

neal

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Post by steve74baywin » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:18 am

ruckman101 wrote:This recently hailed compromise sickens me. Stewardship my ass.

neal
I don't know if you all are rubbing off on me, or having an effect on me, or maybe it is everything in general combined, but I am about to the point of saying, let's just talk about VW's and camping.
Yeah, just VW's and camping.

I was thinking about discussing this a bit,
Velokid1 wrote: I do not want to hear another word about "freedom" from people who don't understand the word "balance."
Peace.]
How I think balance can be found in Libertarianism, not gun pointing to bring about ones desire, that sounds out of balance to me, using guns to just prevent stealing, hurting and killing sounds balanced, using guns for welfare, medicafare or whatever seems to lean things out of balance, but who am I.