Consumer economy you say

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Re: Consumer economy you say

Post by Lanval » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:58 pm

turk wrote: I hear about wind farms and it's mostly bad news.
Without something to back it up, this is just hot air.

From Wikipedia ~ you can go back and look at the citations:

"At the end of 2009, wind power in China accounted for 25.1 gigawatts (GW) of electricity generating capacity,[33] and China has identified wind power as a key growth component of the country's economy.[34] With its large land mass and long coastline, China has exceptional wind resources.[35] Researchers from Harvard and Tsinghua University have found that China could meet all of their electricity demands from wind power through 2030.[36]

By the end of 2008, at least 15 Chinese companies were commercially producing wind turbines and several dozen more were producing components.[37] Turbine sizes of 1.5 MW to 3 MW became common. Leading wind power companies in China were Goldwind, Dongfang Electric, and Sinovel[38] along with most major foreign wind turbine manufacturers.[39] China also increased production of small-scale wind turbines to about 80,000 turbines (80 MW) in 2008. Through all these developments, the Chinese wind industry appeared unaffected by the global financial crisis, according to industry observers.[38]

In 2009, China became the third largest wind energy provider worldwide (behind USA and Germany), with the installed wind power capacity reaching 20 GW at the end of 2009. According to the Global Wind Energy Council, the development of wind energy in China, in terms of scale and rhythm, is absolutely unparalleled in the world. The National People's Congress permanent committee passed a law that requires the Chinese energy companies to purchase all the electricity produced by the renewable energy sector.[40]"

But I'm sure you've done a good deal more study than the various Chinese Ph.Ds, experts, think-tanks and so on... :dontknow:

I'm not saying that wind power is awesome compared to oil in dollars to megawatts, but it's a hell of a lot cheaper to not poison the planet. Or perhaps you think cleaning up oil spills (Exxon Valdez, Gulf Oil Spill)for a few million/billion is preferred to NOT spending that money?

Turk, it's incredibly dispiriting to hear you say things that:

1. Aren't true
2. You don't fact check

I don't mind arguing, or differing opinions ~ I prefer it. But there has to be some standard for discussion. If we just say whatever we think, regardless of proof, evidence or relevance, that's not a discussion; it's a shouting match. Most of what I see you doing here is shouting down others with your views. Can you please take the time to substantiate your claims, so we can have a real discussion about whether or not economic stimulus (or anything else) is working?

Best,

L.

L.

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:13 pm

I think Germany and the U.S. have been at this a lot longer than China but nonetheless, wind power hasn't been more than a pipe dream in cost-effective terms. I think China has a lot more of the rare earth minerals needed for this kind of industry, and not as worried about the toxic hazards of mining it. Nonetheless, it always degenerates to a shouting match only to them who are dispirited by a different opinion on speculative matters. China is pursuing nuclear energy at a faster pace than the U.S., as well as every other type. Not that I have to provide any other opinion on this than my own but a recent article by one of ruckman 101's prized "green energy" devotees: link
A man said to the universe, "Sir I exist! "However," replied the universe, "the fact has not created in me a sense of obligation."

"Let me be perfectly clear" "[...] And so that was just a example of a new senator, you know, making what is a political vote as opposed to doing what was important for the country." Barry Sotero

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:18 pm

You need rare earth metals for a wind turbine? I thought you just slapped a propeller onto an alternator.

"Not that I have to provide any other opinion on this than my own but a recent article by one of ruckman 101's prized "green energy" devotees: link"

Excuse me? "Prized"? I had to google Bjorn Lomborg to remember who he is. The skeptic converted. Sort of. A statistician with no background in the sciences needed to study climate change issues. He's best been described as "a performance artist disguised as an academic." I merely made note of his reported flop as an often cited "expert" of the skeptics camp into reality. But apparently it was just for show. He's an attention whore, bucking reality he gained notoriety as a denier. So now it would seem he's trying to straddle the fence. I find nothing "prized" there.

I do agree though, passive solar water heating is proven, cheap and effective. Hot water is one of a household's largest energy costs. To take the load off the grid would be a huge step. Just sun and black piping.

It should also be noted that The Washington Post is a contributing corporate member of ALEC, thus, considering the source and author, I'm skeptical of the "facts" presented. Old habits die hard, and I have gotten no sense the "green" camp has embraced this statistician.

Too bad we can't harness rhetorical hot air.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:22 am

I've always thought Freud was saddled with deep issues of his own. I lean towards Jung.

neal

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:48 am

Started part two. And about 14:44 into it, VW spotted. Full on no mistake by 14:45.

I bet it has semaphore turn signals.

neal

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:16 am

Apparently US democracy is one large freudian experiment.

neal

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:51 am

ruckman101 wrote:Apparently US democracy is one large freudian experiment.

neal
:lol: The United States of Sigismund : One Nation Under Psychotherapy, with Interpretation and Repression for All.
A man said to the universe, "Sir I exist! "However," replied the universe, "the fact has not created in me a sense of obligation."

"Let me be perfectly clear" "[...] And so that was just a example of a new senator, you know, making what is a political vote as opposed to doing what was important for the country." Barry Sotero

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:20 pm

A great article I came across on Facebook: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opin ... 1126.story

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Post by steve74baywin » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:04 am

Let there be no doubt, people at least attempt to control the masses.

yondermtn
Old School!

Post by yondermtn » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:11 am

turk wrote:A great article I came across on Facebook: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opin ... 1126.story
Dreamers have been replaced with complainers.
1977 Westy 2.0FI
1990 Vanagon MV 2.1 Auto

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:44 am

That's a good comment Y. I agree. The article makes some good points about both sides of the "entitlement" debate. I wouldn't subscribe to the idea, "it's over" 100% necessarily. I would agree, we are likely looking at some lean times ahead. Not as abundant as we saw in the past few decades. In the past we survived this kind of condition. I'm not sure the people today are of the same character as those of the past. That's worrisome.

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Post by steve74baywin » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:43 am

turk wrote: :lol: The United States of Sigismund : One Nation Under Psychotherapy, with Interpretation and Repression for All.
I like that statement, it is more accurate than the one that has been around.
The the that says something about liberty (gone), justice (criminal mob rules) for all.

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Post by steve74baywin » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:04 pm

turk wrote:Who or what is that "other entity"? Is it a secret? The Bohemian Grove? The Illuminati? The Bilderberger Group? The Koch Bros.? Do they all get together? Even George Soros?
Are they watching you right now?
I'm watching a vid right now that may take a stab at answering your question.
I'm only about 15 minutes into it.

The Awakening-Part 1-Divine Connections 1/7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T7346dF ... 3B87E3CA0C

This may be worthy of it's own thread.

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Post by steve74baywin » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:48 pm

steve74baywin wrote: The Awakening-Part 1-Divine Connections 1/7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T7346dF ... 3B87E3CA0C

This may be worthy of it's own thread.
I am going to post another one by the same guy in its own thread.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:11 pm

At 28:51 of part three, VW's are highlighted as an example of growing individualistic expression.

neal