Re: Climate Of Hate - Paul Krugman

Post by deschutestrout » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:10 am

I rest my case.
"You're not always obligated to paint an outhouse." Ruckman 2011

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:13 am

Funny how I become the example of bad behavior from a guy with a 1,00000000000 lb bucket of shit, flung freely for some time. The vast majority of my posts revolve around unification, compassion, and trying to view a larger picture.

One question, why the HELL do we suddenly need a moderator? The pride of this place has been our self-governing.
I think maybe I should just stay out of Free Speech. It's become a lead hat. I can understand this vast experiment unfolding before our eyes, but I'm not eager to be a white lab rat.
As Barb would say, "always go where the sun shines brightest" (or something like that)
Or, keep holy company to avoid being dragged down into a dark pit that one may not be able to climb outa.
Carry on, no change for my dime please.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

deschutestrout
IAC Addict!

Post by deschutestrout » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:20 am

Posting that you "often post things that make other people feel stupid" ... isn't that a bit arrogant? How the hell do you know how your posts make people feel about themselves? The point I was attempting to communicate to you...which obviously failed...is how your posts often make people (at least me) feel about you.

And no, I'm not even going to respond to the bulk of your last post as it's another shining example of why I often exit these threads.

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:28 am

hambone wrote: One question, why the HELL do we suddenly need a moderator? The pride of this place has been our self-governing.
We don't need a moderator, but I believe that we do need turk. I think that it's a brilliant idea to put him in this role. You want turk to tone it down, well put him in charge of this board's tone. He'll be forced to examine himself and if the end result is more debates without the personal shots then that is fucking fabulous. edit... not strickly aimmed at you turk

Question though; how do you handle those who have blocked turk? Will they receive his warnings?
1975 Riviera we call "Spider-Man"

deschutestrout
IAC Addict!

Post by deschutestrout » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:32 am

And by the way...your attempted slam didn't make me feel stupid at all. It just proved my point and in itself is the example you were seeking. Thank you for saving me the time of a more extensive rebutal.

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:58 am

deschutestrout wrote:And by the way...your attempted slam didn't make me feel stupid at all. It just proved my point and in itself is the example you were seeking. Thank you for saving me the time of a more extensive rebutal.
I am not supposed to respond to a hostile "observation". It is a "slam" to answer such, and request some substantiation other than you just stating it? I don't think so Mark. This brings up anther rule I will make sure gets adhered to: any claims or citations must, whenever possible, be backed up with a link or a source. If it's not possible I may let it by, but in most cases I will request that.
A man said to the universe, "Sir I exist! "However," replied the universe, "the fact has not created in me a sense of obligation."

"Let me be perfectly clear" "[...] And so that was just a example of a new senator, you know, making what is a political vote as opposed to doing what was important for the country." Barry Sotero

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:06 pm

BellePlaine wrote:
hambone wrote: One question, why the HELL do we suddenly need a moderator? The pride of this place has been our self-governing.
We don't need a moderator, but I believe that we do need turk. I think that it's a brilliant idea to put him in this role. You want turk to tone it down, well put him in charge of this board's tone. He'll be forced to examine himself and if the end result is more debates without the personal shots then that is fucking fabulous. edit... not strickly aimmed at you turk

Question though; how do you handle those who have blocked turk? Will they receive his warnings?
Hey, I don't take anything too seriously, so I welcome this experiment. I didn't ask for it, just for the record. But sure, I'll do it. I imagine it might get a little aggravating after a while, but HEY, I'm no stranger to THAT!
A man said to the universe, "Sir I exist! "However," replied the universe, "the fact has not created in me a sense of obligation."

"Let me be perfectly clear" "[...] And so that was just a example of a new senator, you know, making what is a political vote as opposed to doing what was important for the country." Barry Sotero

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:11 pm

deschutestrout wrote:Posting that you "often post things that make other people feel stupid" ... isn't that a bit arrogant? How the hell do you know how your posts make people feel about themselves? The point I was attempting to communicate to you...which obviously failed...is how your posts often make people (at least me) feel about you.

And no, I'm not even going to respond to the bulk of your last post as it's another shining example of why I often exit these threads.
You know what? It may be a bit arrogant, but I believe that is the case sometimes. I don't go outta my way to attack people. I do respond to what they say, and often turn their own words against them. That is what I meant. They may be left feeling stupid, I really don't know. It is my intention to do just that. I'm not gonna lie. But I see the problem with that if I am moderator. I have to tone that down, and give them an out. That's my story, arrogant as it may seem, I'm sticking to it.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:12 pm

Free speech ain't free without opinions. DUH! :pottytrain2:

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:17 pm

I haven't had so much fun since fifth grade when Tom Kelly threatened to bust Bobby Faber in the chops at lunchtime. It was 11:50 and those 10 minutes were the longest wait ever for what was to be an epic battle. That danged Mrs Hensley stepped in and ruined it. Jeez I hope that doesn't happen here.

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:31 pm

Yes free speech is all about opinion, and backing it up. If it aint backed up it is subject to critique. I want no schoolyard brawls, no petty insinuations, et.. I think I made it clear above. If someone has a claim and only their word (opinion) to back it, it is certainly eligible to be challenged. Especially by the subject of that opinion. Now, if we are just discussing topics and ideas, rather than individuals, and someone makes a claim and cites a source, I want the link if possible. If it's not available I'll let it pass - it usually is. If someone states a case with nothing but their own logic and word to back it, I think that can fly but generally it will be challenged.

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:39 pm

Wow, the b.s. factor is at an all-time high now.

You're going to ask people to cite their sources? Our observations must be "substantiated" by "examples and sources"? Good luck with being ridiculous. This is going to be so much fun.

The great thing about this experiment is that it's going to force you to either get real or ban yourself.

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:58 pm

You are not interpreting the rule correctly. Again: if it is ideas or topics other than individuals, and the poster cites a source, I want the link to the source in the body of the post, or it will be requested. If it is observations alone with only logic and the persons' word, they are likely to be challenged in the discussion. Is this a problem? I don't see how. It may be no one will challenge it at all, but it certainly is open for discussion. Now, like Mark posted above, about an individual, namely me, and his opinion based on his observation: I have every right to request the evidence, and that's not a slam on him in the least. He made the allegation but didn't have anything but his word. I countered that I do indeed make a clear position every time I contribute, and it is not about ruffling feathers, but the topic. See, if someone makes a critical observation of a person, they are totally eligible to be called on it to back that up with at least one example supporting it. I think it is uninteresting, but I don't see how it is a problem. If something like that goes on and on in a circle, I would lock the thread, because it is just stupid at that point. I think we are better than that.

Cindy
IAC Addict!

Post by Cindy » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:05 pm

Velokid1 wrote:Good luck with being ridiculous.
Spit take.

=D>

Cindy
“No one can tell what goes on in between the person you were and the person you become. No one can chart that blue and lonely section of hell. There are no maps of the change. You just come out the other side.
Or you don't.” ― Stephen King, The Stand