American Income Inequity (good read)

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Re: American Income Inequity (good read)

Post by Sylvester » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:23 am

glasseye wrote:Like I used to read Playboy for the articles,
It has articles? On a side note I discovered my box of 1960's Playboys. Hoo boy.

And now back to our regular programming!
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:52 pm

Cindy wrote:
glasseye wrote:OK. "nearly" :salute:

“From the moment [Europeans] encountered the native people of North America [they] classified them in order to make them sensible [and] in the process reduced them simplistically.” Indians became either “noble” or “savage,” depending upon the needs of the conquering whites, and “noble” has traditionally indicated a romanticized environmental ethic. "Like preindustrial people on other continents, some of them deforested landscapes and might have brought too many salts onto arable land . . . or helped place animal populations on the brink of extinction. The first humans in North America demonstrated all of the intelligence, self-interest, flexibility, and ability to make mistakes of human beings anywhere.” To assume otherwise is to diminish the complexity of the native experience.

I'm just sayin'. :study:

Yes. I agree. The people who lived in America before the European settlers were land intensive. They managed the forests (better than us but nonetheless). They regularly burned them to create the parklike forests that are rarer nowadays.
A man said to the universe, "Sir I exist! "However," replied the universe, "the fact has not created in me a sense of obligation."

"Let me be perfectly clear" "[...] And so that was just a example of a new senator, you know, making what is a political vote as opposed to doing what was important for the country." Barry Sotero

Spezialist

Post by Spezialist » Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:28 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
glasseye wrote:
Cindy wrote:Quotes in passage above are from The Ecological Indian: Myth and History, by Shepard Klech III.
Interesting. I'd always understood that the native Americans were pretty gentle on the land. But what do I know? I read stuff on the Internets. :flower:
Here, let me guide your interpretations.

Each new piece of information that comes across your understanding that destroys some nice or naive inner belief, can give you both the relief that we are not as bad in the present as it feels, and they in the past were not as good as they looked. This will flatten your outlook somewhat, but it is a good thing.
Colin
I guess that depends, if you think everything following the industrial revolution a good thing, than sure.
But I don't, Amerindians cultivated the entire Western Hemisphere with what are called sustainable farming practices for eons, and there is no reason to believe that wouldn't still be happening if it were not for Columbus or some later "discoverer"
To compare that to today's world is misinformed or disingenuous or totally insensitive to Traditional Native American Values
But we all make excuses for our existence don't we?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:53 pm

Spezialist wrote:
Amskeptic wrote: Each new piece of information that comes across your understanding that destroys some nice or naive inner belief, can give you both the relief that we are not as bad in the present as it feels, and they in the past were not as good as they looked.
I guess that depends, if you think everything following the industrial revolution a good thing, than sure.
But I don't,
I made no such assumption, no such sweeping generalization.

I said that I like being exposed to a more realistic understanding than the simplistic.
I am Native American and did not know my tribe until I was 46 years old. So guess what? In my childhood universe, I was thanking things and talking to trees in private. I gloried in this planet and the stars. Right in the middle of striving for success family that would have liked to see me a doctor.
I have discovered that Native Americans were not ecological purity from enlightened spirituality. They found what worked. They got abused and mangled not even a reservation for them in San Juan Capistrano. They did not rise above, they drank and dissipated and I have seen some brutal trash on sacred lands.

No excuses for no one.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Spezialist

Post by Spezialist » Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:58 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Spezialist wrote:
Amskeptic wrote: Each new piece of information that comes across your understanding that destroys some nice or naive inner belief, can give you both the relief that we are not as bad in the present as it feels, and they in the past were not as good as they looked.
But I don't,
I made no such assumption, no such sweeping generalization.

I said that I like being exposed to a more realistic understanding than the simplistic.
I am Native American and did not know my tribe until I was 46 years old. So guess what? In my childhood universe, I was thanking things and talking to trees in private. I gloried in this planet and the stars. Right in the middle of striving for success family that would have liked to see me a doctor.
I have discovered that Native Americans were not ecological purity from enlightened spirituality. They found what worked. They got abused and mangled not even a reservation for them in San Juan Capistrano. They did not rise above, they drank and dissipated and I have seen some brutal trash on sacred lands.

No excuses for no one.
Colin
But I will make excuses for everyone, in kind.
I made the sweeping generalizations with me included!
Because I was a lump of coal as are many in this world , the love we express for the granduelr of nature without its dovetail of Native American Identity proves the heart of what I'm trying to express!
The angry indian who destroys what he considers sacred is a quickening of time to move forward to be done with it all, because he feels helpless.
I feel him.
The spirit moves and proves itself in you because you didn't know your tribe! It's the lesson we could have never have had if it wasn't being had right now!
Look how many turn away from their traditions because it's tradition!
But yours was there in your subconscious and genetic memory!
Truly Awesome