American Income Inequity (good read)

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Re: American Income Inequity (good read)

Post by glasseye » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:07 pm

We might also add to Mr Obama's statement that the continent of North America was blessed with an unmatched array of natural resources, completely unexploited by the native inhabitants.
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:08 pm

ruckman101 wrote:Revolution without violence is possible.

REV. DR. MARTIN LUTHER KING, JR.: "A true revolution of values will soon look uneasily on the glaring contrast of poverty and wealth with righteous indignation. It will look across the seas and see individual capitalists of the West investing huge sums of money in Asia, Africa and South America, only to take the profits out with no concern for the social betterment of the countries, and say, "This is not just." It will look at our alliance with the landed gentry of South America and say, "This is not just." The Western arrogance of feeling that it has everything to teach others and nothing to learn from them is not just.

A true revolution of values will lay a hand on the world order and say of war, "This way of settling differences is not just." This business of burning human beings with napalm, of filling our nation’s homes with orphans and widows, of injecting poisonous drugs of hate into veins of peoples normally humane, of sending men home from dark and bloody battlefields physically handicapped and psychologically deranged, cannot be reconciled with wisdom, justice and love. A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death.

America, the richest and most powerful nation in the world, can well lead the way in this revolution of values. There is nothing, except a tragic death wish, to prevent us from reordering our priorities, so that the pursuit of peace will take precedence over the pursuit of war."

April 4th, 1967

Sadly, a very slow revolution.

neal
That guy had foresight, brilliant. Now, will turk respond directly to your thankfully eloquent answer?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:16 pm

Hasn't yet.

As I recall it was a corporate flag-waving sidestep under the guise of intellectual pursuit.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:33 pm

turk wrote:Dr. King was a brilliant speaker and a revolutionary but I'll take the other side for rhetorical purposes today. What about the good things those capitalist westerners helped to create and achieve? They don't count? It's all or nothing? Think about it and have a peaceful MLK Jr. day.
So, although I can't disagree with all the bad things pointed to in the speech, my intention is to take off the blanket of negative politics outlined and emphasized in the words, ONLY for a moment, to recognize, the western capitalists ALSO had some benefits for everyone. Not to take away from the quote, to show grey areas exist in negativity. My mom once told me: "I have to go through the negative to get to the positive". I take the words of King to heart. I suggested widening the lens.
A man said to the universe, "Sir I exist! "However," replied the universe, "the fact has not created in me a sense of obligation."

"Let me be perfectly clear" "[...] And so that was just a example of a new senator, you know, making what is a political vote as opposed to doing what was important for the country." Barry Sotero

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:08 am

Where would we be without the iPhone! Tossing in Brietbart really takes that negativity down a notch. So inclusive. Thanks for that alternative broader view, except that it seems to me an even heavier "blanket of negative politics outlined and emphasized in the words".

neal

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:19 am

I am not aware I injected Breitbart into this thread. But thank you for informing me. I'll go back and re-examine the Breitbart comment I injected. [sarc/off]
A man said to the universe, "Sir I exist! "However," replied the universe, "the fact has not created in me a sense of obligation."

"Let me be perfectly clear" "[...] And so that was just a example of a new senator, you know, making what is a political vote as opposed to doing what was important for the country." Barry Sotero

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:28 am

If you mean the Michael Barone article, my apologies for posting that utter trash of commentary on the inequality in America. It never should have been posted. Just despicable.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:34 am

turk wrote:I am not aware I injected Breitbart into this thread. But thank you for informing me. I'll go back and re-examine the Breitbart comment I injected. [sarc/off]
You lie!

Oops, maybe not this thread. Pesky minutia of language semantics.

neal

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:49 am

turk wrote:If you mean the Michael Barone article, my apologies for posting that utter trash of commentary on the inequality in America. It never should have been posted. Just despicable.
I don't believe you.

neal

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:55 am

Well, as I recall, you had some good criticism of the article. Maybe the last line was trash.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:16 am

My criticism was a single sentence, so I have to conclude the trashy last line would be from the Barone bit.

neal

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:20 am

I was referring to the Trudeau reference, which I agree with.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:22 am

Well there you have it.

neal

Cindy
IAC Addict!

Post by Cindy » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:41 am

glasseye wrote:completely unexploited by the native inhabitants.
Not completely.

Cindy
“No one can tell what goes on in between the person you were and the person you become. No one can chart that blue and lonely section of hell. There are no maps of the change. You just come out the other side.
Or you don't.” ― Stephen King, The Stand

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:04 am

OK. "nearly" :salute:
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.