What Is Really Happening

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

What Is Really Happening

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:51 pm

Read this. It explains a lot about the angry confusion that seems to have overtaken this country.

We have a problem here.
Fast Track to Inequality
By BOB HERBERT
November 1, 2010

The clearest explanation yet of the forces that converged over the past three decades or so to undermine the economic well-being of ordinary Americans is contained in the new book,
“Winner-Take-All Politics:
How Washington Made the Rich Richer — and Turned Its Back on the Middle Class.”
The authors, political scientists Jacob Hacker of Yale and Paul Pierson of the University of California, Berkeley, argue persuasively that the economic struggles of the middle and working classes in the U.S. since the late-1970s were not primarily the result of globalization and technological changes but rather a long series of policy changes in government that overwhelmingly favored the very rich.

Those changes were the result of increasingly sophisticated, well-financed and well-organized efforts by the corporate and financial sectors to tilt government policies in their favor, and thus in favor of the very wealthy. From tax laws to deregulation to corporate governance to safety net issues, government action was deliberately shaped to allow those who were already very wealthy to amass an ever increasing share of the nation’s economic benefits.

“Over the last generation,” the authors write, “more and more of the rewards of growth have gone to the rich and superrich. The rest of America, from the poor through the upper middle class, has fallen further and further behind.”

As if to underscore this theme, it was revealed last week (by David Cay Johnston, a Pulitzer Prize-winning former reporter for The New York Times), that the incomes of the very highest earners in the United States, a small group of individuals hauling in more than $50 million annually (sometimes much more), increased fivefold from 2008 to 2009, even as the nation was being rocked by the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression.

Last year was a terrific year for those at the very top. Professors Hacker and Pierson note in their book that investors and executives at the nation’s 38 largest companies earned a stunning total of $140 billion — a record. The investment firm Goldman Sachs paid bonuses to its employees that averaged nearly $600,000 per person, its best year since it was founded in 1869.

Something has gone seriously haywire in the distribution of the fruits of the American economy.

This unfortunate shift away from a long period of more widely shared prosperity unfolded steadily, year after year since the late-’70s, whether Democrats or Republicans controlled the levers of power in Washington. “Winner-Take-All Politics” explores the vexing question of how this could have happened in a democracy in which — in theory, at least — the enormous number of voters who are not rich would serve as a check on policies that curtailed their own economic opportunities while at the same time supercharging the benefits of the runaway rich.

The answer becomes clearer when one recognizes, as the book stresses, that politics is largely about organized combat. It’s a form of warfare. “It’s a contest,” said Professor Pierson, “between those who are organized, who can really monitor what government is doing in a very complicated world and bring pressure effectively to bear on politicians. Voters in that kind of system are at a disadvantage when there aren’t reliable, organized groups representing them that have clout and can effectively communicate to them what is going on.”

The book describes an “organizational revolution” that took place over the past three decades in which big business mobilized on an enormous scale to become much more active in Washington, cultivating politicians in both parties and fighting fiercely to achieve shared political goals. This occurred at the same time that organized labor, the most effective force fighting on behalf of the middle class and other working Americans, was caught in a devastating spiral of decline.

Thus, the counterweight of labor to the ever-increasing political clout of big business was effectively lost.

“We’re not arguing that globalization and technological change don’t matter,” said Professor Hacker. “But they aren’t by any means a sufficient explanation for this massive change in the distribution of wealth and income in the U.S. Much more important are the ways in which government has shaped the economy over this period through deregulation, through changes in industrial relations policies affecting labor unions, through corporate governance policies that have allowed C.E.O.’s to basically set their own pay, and so on.”

This hyperconcentration of wealth and income, and the overwhelming political clout it has put into the hands of the monied interests, has drastically eroded the capacity of government to respond to the needs of the middle class and others of modest income.

Nothing better illustrates the enormous power that has accrued to this tiny sliver of the population than its continued ability to thrive and prosper despite the Great Recession that was largely the result of their winner-take-all policies, and that has had such a disastrous effect on so many other Americans.
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Ashtarot
Getting Hooked!

Post by Ashtarot » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:29 pm

Did you vote today?
"I hold the most archaic values on earth ... the fertility of the soul, the magic of the animals, the power-vision in solitude.... the love and ecstasy of the dance, the common work of the tribe."
Gary Snyder

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:57 pm

Ashtarot wrote:Did you vote today?
Nope. Yesterday.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:25 pm

I worked apolitically 4 the Cook County Board of Elections as a data transmitter in Wheeling Township in the NW suburbs. Fascinating. It's down to the wire 4 the governorship. Bill Brady (R) had the money from the corporate interests. Pat Quinn, the ex-lieutenant guv of Blago, and the incumbent, may still win. It's not a Republican thing here in Illinois. Dems still control by proxy. The class warfare thing is a red-herring here. It doesn't matter here. I voted Republican on principal. Changing the guard. They're all crooked.

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:15 am

Now that I don't understand! I vote the issues and the person not the party nor "just to change the guard". Are we in prison? I look at what the elected person has done in office and accomplished.
All crooks? hmm, the lobbys and the way people must finance there campaigns is what is crooked. Corporations rule the government now by their contributions to people.

Yes Colin, I read that and want to buy/read that book when I get a chance. From my viewpoint, the Game changed under Reagan and we have no chance. I am just hanging on til retirement unless they change the rules again!
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:50 am

Bleyseng wrote:Now that I don't understand! I vote the issues and the person not the party nor "just to change the guard". Are we in prison? I look at what the elected person has done in office and accomplished.
All crooks? hmm, the lobbys and the way people must finance there campaigns is what is crooked. Corporations rule the government now by their contributions to people.

Yes Colin, I read that and want to buy/read that book when I get a chance. From my viewpoint, the Game changed under Reagan and we have no chance. I am just hanging on til retirement unless they change the rules again!
You obviously don't know the little catchphrases used by the Obama juggernaut. :-) nor much about Illinois politics, or the little fact there are distinct ideologies in competition in this election apparently.

satchmo
Old School!

Re: What Is Really Happening

Post by satchmo » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:06 am

Amskeptic wrote:Read this. It explains a lot about the angry confusion that seems to have overtaken this country.

We have a problem here.
Fast Track to Inequality
By BOB HERBERT
November 1, 2010

The clearest explanation yet of the forces that converged over the past three decades or so to undermine the economic well-being of ordinary Americans is contained in the new book,
“Winner-Take-All Politics:
How Washington Made the Rich Richer — and Turned Its Back on the Middle Class.”
The authors, political scientists Jacob Hacker of Yale and Paul Pierson of the University of California, Berkeley, argue persuasively that the economic struggles of the middle and working classes in the U.S. since the late-1970s were not primarily the result of globalization and technological changes but rather a long series of policy changes in government that overwhelmingly favored the very rich.

Those changes were the result of increasingly sophisticated, well-financed and well-organized efforts by the corporate and financial sectors to tilt government policies in their favor, and thus in favor of the very wealthy. From tax laws to deregulation to corporate governance to safety net issues, government action was deliberately shaped to allow those who were already very wealthy to amass an ever increasing share of the nation’s economic benefits.

“Over the last generation,” the authors write, “more and more of the rewards of growth have gone to the rich and superrich. The rest of America, from the poor through the upper middle class, has fallen further and further behind.”

As if to underscore this theme, it was revealed last week (by David Cay Johnston, a Pulitzer Prize-winning former reporter for The New York Times), that the incomes of the very highest earners in the United States, a small group of individuals hauling in more than $50 million annually (sometimes much more), increased fivefold from 2008 to 2009, even as the nation was being rocked by the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression.

Last year was a terrific year for those at the very top. Professors Hacker and Pierson note in their book that investors and executives at the nation’s 38 largest companies earned a stunning total of $140 billion — a record. The investment firm Goldman Sachs paid bonuses to its employees that averaged nearly $600,000 per person, its best year since it was founded in 1869.

Something has gone seriously haywire in the distribution of the fruits of the American economy.

This unfortunate shift away from a long period of more widely shared prosperity unfolded steadily, year after year since the late-’70s, whether Democrats or Republicans controlled the levers of power in Washington. “Winner-Take-All Politics” explores the vexing question of how this could have happened in a democracy in which — in theory, at least — the enormous number of voters who are not rich would serve as a check on policies that curtailed their own economic opportunities while at the same time supercharging the benefits of the runaway rich.

The answer becomes clearer when one recognizes, as the book stresses, that politics is largely about organized combat. It’s a form of warfare. “It’s a contest,” said Professor Pierson, “between those who are organized, who can really monitor what government is doing in a very complicated world and bring pressure effectively to bear on politicians. Voters in that kind of system are at a disadvantage when there aren’t reliable, organized groups representing them that have clout and can effectively communicate to them what is going on.”

The book describes an “organizational revolution” that took place over the past three decades in which big business mobilized on an enormous scale to become much more active in Washington, cultivating politicians in both parties and fighting fiercely to achieve shared political goals. This occurred at the same time that organized labor, the most effective force fighting on behalf of the middle class and other working Americans, was caught in a devastating spiral of decline.

Thus, the counterweight of labor to the ever-increasing political clout of big business was effectively lost.

“We’re not arguing that globalization and technological change don’t matter,” said Professor Hacker. “But they aren’t by any means a sufficient explanation for this massive change in the distribution of wealth and income in the U.S. Much more important are the ways in which government has shaped the economy over this period through deregulation, through changes in industrial relations policies affecting labor unions, through corporate governance policies that have allowed C.E.O.’s to basically set their own pay, and so on.”

This hyperconcentration of wealth and income, and the overwhelming political clout it has put into the hands of the monied interests, has drastically eroded the capacity of government to respond to the needs of the middle class and others of modest income.

Nothing better illustrates the enormous power that has accrued to this tiny sliver of the population than its continued ability to thrive and prosper despite the Great Recession that was largely the result of their winner-take-all policies, and that has had such a disastrous effect on so many other Americans.
So the premise here is that the wealthy control the political process and so push for de-regulation of industry and favorable tax laws? I'm not sure I agree with the de-regulation part. I've been in health care for 30 years. Regulation has only increased during that time, not decreased. I think most* businesses would say the same.

What strikes me is the ability of the wealthy to shield themselves from ANY swing in the economy. I don't think they do it primarily by controlling the political process, or engineering laws or de-regulation with monetary influence. That's too obvious, and too subject to whims by the proletariat (witness the last two election cycles). It's more subtle than that. Once you get a certain amount of money, you can pay a bunch of people to manage your fortune, to find the tax loopholes and tax shelters, to take advantage of a falling market (short sells or whatever they call them), and to just generally move money around, which apparently is a skill valued more than any other in the US as evidenced by how much the money changers in America make off the process. How else do you explain the salary and bonuses paid to Wall Street types? They don't work any harder than your average blue collar stiff or small business owner, and they produce nothing (but money, of course).

There has always been great disparity of wealth in the US, and there probably always will be. The myth of a prosperous middle class and vanishing lower class, and the feeling we could all participate as one in an enhanced standard of living was born in the decade or so after WWII. A huge shift occurred in the economy as we welcomed soldiers home, began a new technological age (TV, appliances, cheap cars for everyone, space race, etc), and thought of ourselves as the new de-facto world power. New ways of feeling part of the american dream were brought to us by housing manufacturers (like Levittown), discount retailers (like Woolworth's Five and Dime), and fast food (like McDonalds). Labor Unions gained new power as the hunger for American manufactured goods soared and the owners of industry needed to guarantee a stable and happy work force to insure the uninterrupted flow of goods. But the decade of the 50s was definitely an anomaly. And we came out of that experience thinking the natural order dictated that we should all share in the nation's wealth. It's not gonna happen. So quit wringing your hands about it.

Tim (feelingalittlecynicaltoday)

* Notable exceptions to this, of course, are Glass-Steigel and the airline industry deregulation.
By three methods we may learn wisdom:
First, by reflection, which is noblest;
second, by immitation, which is easiest;
and third, by experience, which is bitterest. -Confucius

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Post by steve74baywin » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:15 am

I hoped you all would be a little further along in your understanding.
I am pleased to see some signs of at least moving along.
Have fun.

satchmo
Old School!

Post by satchmo » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:57 am

And another thing:

I think the issue of regulation/deregulation is a red herring in the argument posted above.

Let me give you an example of industry taking the 'lemon' of regulation and turning it into a very profitable lemonade.

I think everyone that has health insurance is experiencing the sticker shock of premium increases for next year which are, on average, about 25% higher (those of you who don't have health insurance get to revel in your good fortune and increased wealth compared to those who do). The insurance industry blames this increase on new regulations brought about by health care reform. "We can't help it!" they cry. "Obama made us quit dropping your coverage when you got breast cancer! We HAVE to charge you more or, or, we will go bankrupt!"

In actuality, most experts believe the added costs to comply with new health reform regulations amount to about 2%. Yes, TWO percent. That doesn't stop the insurance companies from blaming regulation for their premium hikes. Pretty convenient. They get the mine. We get the shaft.

Now that congress has changed hands, and the repeal of health care reform is just a stone's throw away, I look forward to a big refund check from my health insurance company for the over-charge. (And if anyone believes that will actually happen, I have to ask, "What have you been smoking?")

Tim
By three methods we may learn wisdom:
First, by reflection, which is noblest;
second, by immitation, which is easiest;
and third, by experience, which is bitterest. -Confucius

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: What Is Really Happening

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:18 am

satchmo wrote: So the premise here is that the wealthy control the political process
and so push for de-regulation of industry and favorable tax laws?
I'm not sure I agree with the de-regulation part.
I've been in health care for 30 years.
Regulation has only increased during that time, not decreased.
I think most* businesses would say the same.
Look at the highlighted phrase. From 2008 to 2009 (that's one year), the incomes of those who made $50,000,000.00 or more, increased 5 times in a recession considered as serious as any since the Great Depression!
What part of this infuriating immoral fact escapes you?

You think this is a polemic on deregulation? In your industry?
I am not talking about your industry, neither is Bob Herbert, Jacob Hacker, nor Paul Pierson. The trend in deregulation for those looking across the broader landscape is clearly evident in the financial sector.
satchmo wrote: What strikes me is the ability of the wealthy to shield themselves from ANY swing in the economy. I don't think they do it primarily by controlling the political process, or engineering laws or de-regulation with monetary influence. That's too obvious, and too subject to whims by the proletariat (witness the last two election cycles). It's more subtle than that.
"Shield themselves?" No. At the very top of the food chain, they make out like bandits. The great losses in wealth that occur in recessions such as this are not "vaporized", they don't just "disappear", wealth is transferred (see above).
And no, it is not obvious, now is it? We have only belatedly discovered who made out like bandits during the S &L crisis under Bush Sr, who made out like bandits during the Iraq War under Bush Jr, who made out like bandits under crisis spending like Katrina. And look at who then moves to offshore tax havens to hoard their loot?
satchmo wrote: There has always been great disparity of wealth in the US,
But never at the current tax rate. Ever.
Please note that our infant mortality, drop-out rate, and infrastructure failure rate is going up while the rich get richer by amounts unfathomable.
Rationalize it all you like. There is no justification for this "trend'.

satchmo wrote: The myth of a prosperous middle class and vanishing lower class, and the feeling we could all participate as one in an enhanced standard of living was born in the decade or so after WWII. A huge shift occurred in the economy as we welcomed soldiers home, began a new technological age (TV, appliances, cheap cars for everyone, space race, etc), and thought of ourselves as the new de-facto world power. New ways of feeling part of the american dream were brought to us by housing manufacturers (like Levittown), discount retailers (like Woolworth's Five and Dime), and fast food (like McDonalds). Labor Unions gained new power as the hunger for American manufactured goods soared and the owners of industry needed to guarantee a stable and happy work force to insure the uninterrupted flow of goods.
What? The rise of labor unions was a far longer and bloodier process than this whitewash. Greed and its adherents have been "at war" with the people who actually produce the wealth for a long time.
satchmo wrote: But the decade of the 50s was definitely an anomaly. And we came out of that experience thinking the natural order dictated that we should all share in the nation's wealth. It's not gonna happen. So quit wringing your hands about it.
Tim (feelingalittlecynicaltoday)
This is quite remarkable, to read this Apologia For The MegaRich.
I come from a different perspective. Quit wringing your hands.
Quit wringing your hands, children die of starvation every damn day.
That we could easily afford to prevent their deaths . . .

I do not so much "wring my hands" as try to comprehend what is really happening. I call it out as I see it. That is all.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:35 am

Let's just look at one aspect of the larger problem for a minute.

Much of America's manufacturing industry moved offshore during the 90s, to the detriment of the "middle class", ie, those who operated the "local" portion of the manufacturing biz.

What factors enabled this massive shift of operations?
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:41 am

glasseye wrote:Let's just look at one aspect of the larger problem for a minute.

Much of America's manufacturing industry moved offshore during the 90s, to the detriment of the "middle class", ie, those who operated the "local" portion of the manufacturing biz.

Cheaper to manufacture things offshore, for the bottom line and for a healthy "environment" -here that is. But some of the pollution -the heavy metals, particulates, and soot-, ends up back here anyway. But that's the biggest "factor": consumerism and "environment" here. Or we can start thinking about Marxist socialist new world order models, which is hinted at a lot.

Adventurewagen
IAC Addict!

Post by Adventurewagen » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:50 am

We are seriously a nation of idiots. Yah, the economy still sucks shit but do people really believe it's because of the Democratic party as a whole??? Why in the hell would ANYONE vote partyline for the Republican party who I feel has completely lost their way? I always thought their party line was to simply "Make Money" but obviously it's more lucrative to just make money for those few rich at the top. I knew this election would turn over a bunch of positions along the party line, people are simple, but seriously? What happens now with more right wing dumbasses in power? Vote for more tax breaks for the top 1%. Yaaay, I see a solid 2 years of nothing happening with a very questionable election coming up.

I'm just frustrated in the future. I'm seriously thinking I need to take most of my business and push growth internationally and more or less forget about the US. I'm obviously not a big fish and because of that I'm going to lose if I keep my business here.

Screw the US and their inability to simply do the right thing. The Republicans are all "yippity haha, look we won"... So fucking what?!? Are you going to actually do anything good with that? Probably not. All I see is 2 years of the Republican Party trying to brainwash the public into thinking this whole mess was created by Obama and that Bush and his War, policies, cabinet and ignorance had nothing to do with the downfall of the US. I see 3rd world nation as our up and coming new name tag for the US.

I'm ready to move to Canada or Mexico at this point :blackeye:

-Mr. Negativo
63 Gulf Blue Notch
71 Sierra Yellow Adventurewagen
DjEep wrote:Velo? Are you being "over-run"? Do you need to swim through a sea of Mexican anchor-babies to get to your bus in the morning?
:wav:

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:37 pm

"Report: Prison Industry Helped Draft Arizona Anti-Immigrant Law

A new investigation has found the private prison industry played a key role in the drafting and passage of Arizona’s notorious anti-immigrant law. According to National Public Radio, the bill was formulated at a Washington, DC meeting of the American Legislative Exchange Council, or ALEC, last December. The group brings together state legislators and major corporations, including the nation’s largest private prison firm, the Correction Corporation of America, CCA. Attendees helped write the bill, gave it a name, and then voted to approve it. The bill’s eventual sponsor, Arizona State Senator Russell Pearce, then brought it back to his home state. The ensuing months saw a frenzy of lobbying to enact the bill. According to NPR, thirty of the measure’s thirty-six co-sponsors received campaign donations from lobbyists working for CCA and two other major private prison companies. In an internal document last year, the CCA predicted that contracts with Immigration and Customs Enforcement would bring in "a significant portion of our revenues.""

From Democracy Now headlines for October 29, 2010.

ALEC is what's been going on, generating legislation by bringing together corps and legislators. Check out their website. They're crafting more than just prison industry favorable law.

http://www.alec.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Home

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:37 pm

glasseye wrote:Let's just look at one aspect of the larger problem for a minute.

This has been in the works for a long time, manufacture the goods where the labor is already dirt poor, and you can pay their government to let you in. Manufacture things that pollute or kill where health laws are lax, and the environment is no concern.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.