the price of gold

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:03 pm

Just trying to figure out what has you so giddily glib today, most unusual to find you so far from your usual state of curmudgeonly harumphs.

As for the trick or treaters, I'll be at the work front, missing those brave few who still dare go door to door for goodies.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:11 pm

Mistress of The Salmon Salt

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:33 pm

ruckman101 wrote:
turk wrote:Can't crack wise with U neal. I avoid the HFCS as much as possible in the diet. Lighten up mate. Ya' should for the trick-or-treaters coming to the wrecking yard.
Just trying to figure out what has you so giddily glib today, most unusual to find you so far from your usual state of curmudgeonly harumphs.

As for the trick or treaters, I'll be at the work front, missing those brave few who still dare go door to door for goodies.

neal
Oh. Nothin' but a cold day. Saw lots of hawks 2day. 1 flew low within 10 feet of me at eye level as I shot the shit with some good ole boys from Georgia. I pointed it out as we discussed fishing. 1 of 'em chased it around the shed. I work at and captured it on vid with a chipmunk or something in its talons. Huntin' season. ;-)

denjohn
Getting Hooked!

Post by denjohn » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:55 pm

Peace
'71 bus, stock running gear ex SVDA and pertronix

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:43 am

This has been spelled out several times.
Capitalism's requirement for endless expansion meets the finite resources of the planet. Tricks and machinations cannot change the laws of physics.

The Peak Oil doomsayers wrote about the inflationary spiral that would ignite, next in line after inflation is social unrest, as you'd expect.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:53 am

So we have "alarmists" whining about the reflection of the declining value of the dollar via gold, and we have "doomsayers" of "peak oil"; and now it is confirmed as all true despite the vitriolic self-righteous rants of _mskeptic and his cohort _. How amusing. :-D

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:02 am

turk wrote:So we have "alarmists" whining about the refection of the declining value of the dollar via gold, and we have "doomsayers" of "peak oil"; and now it is confirmed as all true despite the vitriolic self-righteous rants of _mskeptic and his cohort _. How amusing. :-D
Turk,
I don't even know how to respond to your post above. It is so insane.
Again and again, you bring it all back to personal attack.
Try to stick to the topic and leave personal invective out of it.
My tolerance for nonsense is at an all-time low.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:10 am

Well that's what I read here with my own two eyes. If blatzer says it, it's stupid , etc. (and worse, read what you and yer pal said about it). On the other hand, it's all true if someone else brings it up. Ya see it's framing and denial. Two things leftists aspire to excel at, but fail miserably. No this isn't personal. It's clear interpretation of the discussion.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:08 pm

I read gibberish.

neal

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:45 pm

What's the difference between what denjohn and blatzer posted? The gibberish is what a few people so long-windedly lectured in response to blatzer, browbeating throughout, and not a peep of dissent when denjohn said almost the same via a Bloomberg News report. That qualifies as gibberish. :-)

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:26 pm

No, that would be a disparity.

neal

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:39 pm

A capitalistic economic model is unsustainable. It is predicated on growth, like a corporation. Measured growth is exponential. In a finite world, it will eventually collapse. A sustainable equilibrium is what is needed.

Alas, corporate barons have a grip on our politics, so I don't expect a transition until there is a collapse of the current. I'm not buying into the gold thing, though. It will be sweat equity. Gold has value only to those who are able to accumulate wealth from the labor of others.

neal

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:38 pm

ruckman101 wrote:A capitalistic economic model is unsustainable. It is predicated on growth, like a corporation. Measured growth is exponential. In a finite world, it will eventually collapse. A sustainable equilibrium is what is needed.

Alas, corporate barons have a grip on our politics, so I don't expect a transition until there is a collapse of the current. I'm not buying into the gold thing, though. It will be sweat equity. Gold has value only to those who are able to accumulate wealth from the labor of others.

neal
So, even if capitalism has produced a record amount of material wealth in world history; facilitated invention of most of the technology for the developed world; and increased standards of living worldwide from subsistence on wood and animal dung and living in isolated communities and tribes; we're CLEARLY at the tipping point of collapse. It's unsustainable. How long have we heard this now? It's a work in progress, like everything else. Perfect? No. Equilibrium? Nice theory. Disparity? Yeah. The Chilean miners lived because of a drillbit invented and built in Pennsylvania. Communism never fixed disparity where it was implemented yet. I don't know of a Communist nation state that enjoys any wealth or standard of living I would want to change to. Are U not compensated sufficiently enough for your sweat that U would rather see the system which facilitated your present lifestyle collapse? To change to a more equitable one I surmise. What would it be? This is still the best.

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:00 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
This has been spelled out several times.
Capitalism's requirement for endless expansion meets the finite resources of the planet. Tricks and machinations cannot change the laws of physics.

The Peak Oil doomsayers wrote about the inflationary spiral that would ignite, next in line after inflation is social unrest, as you'd expect.
Colin
"Tricks and machinations" apparently disproved the great die-off predicted by Paul Ehrlich and our current "Science Czar" John Holdren. That was supposed to happen at the end of the 20th century. Meanwhile population increased since then. AND John Holdren lost his bet that mineral resources would deplete in the late eighties and we were gonna see massive chaos due to it. This guy predictably pushes for "zero carbon" emissions based on NO EMPIRICAL EVIDENCE. Carbon dioxide isn't a pollutant. The ideologues have no proof. It's politics. I hope that changea.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:09 pm

Did I mention a time frame? No. A tipping point? No. Imminent collapse? No.

The wonders you attribute to capitalism are certainly grand leaps of unsubstantiated faith on your part.

I was merely observing that a model based on growth will eventually collapse because growth cannot be sustained into infinity.

The disparity post was an effort to point out that what you were calling gibberish is actually a disparity. Different words and definitions, and totally unrelated to my second post.

Gibberish is how many of your posts read to me. Now the above post is an example of a non sequitur or gibberish, take your pick.

neal