Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:57 am

glasseye wrote:
turk wrote:
Ashtarot wrote:
glasseye wrote:I hereby submit to the administrators that turk's username be permanently, unilaterally and irretrievably changed to "nonsquitur"
What a way to start the day, with a brilliant observation!
Thanks
. Ge , if yer gonna use. 50 ¢ words, spell 'em right or lay off the bong dude. :-D
I wanna clear this up. I am an excellent speller and I infrequently make spelling mistakes.

Which word did I spell wrong, turk?
nonsequitur?
Coln
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:06 pm

No, I purposely spelled it that way because it was supposed to be his new login name.

Still waiting, turk.
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:06 pm

glasseye wrote:No, I purposely spelled it that way because it was supposed to be his new login name.

Still waiting, turk.
Zooooooooom, right over my baldy head.
ColinLetItGoCleanTheEnergyAroundHere

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:05 pm

Amskeptic wrote:.
ColinLetItGoCleanTheEnergyAroundHere
K
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:49 pm

A better name would be non sequturk - the recircumsized version. Have a nice weekend. :-D
A man said to the universe, "Sir I exist! "However," replied the universe, "the fact has not created in me a sense of obligation."

"Let me be perfectly clear" "[...] And so that was just a example of a new senator, you know, making what is a political vote as opposed to doing what was important for the country." Barry Sotero

denjohn
Getting Hooked!

Post by denjohn » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:44 pm

MeyerII wrote:
As everybody knows, inflation is a rise in the general level of prices of goods and services in an economy over a period of time, often expressed in terms of the Consumer Price Index (CPI). As with everything, there are good things and bad things about inflation. The good is that modest inflation gives us wiggle room during a recession and also provides a modicum of debt relief over time. The negatives are many, and get worse as the rate of inflation gets higher. Generally,economists tend to feel that a rate of inflation rate between 2 and 5 percent is healthy and represents a growing economy.

So what is the current inflation rate for September of 2010? You want to guess?

How about 1.14%?
Peace
'71 bus, stock running gear ex SVDA and pertronix

denjohn
Getting Hooked!

Re: the price of gold

Post by denjohn » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:29 am

Peace

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:43 am

Wow. This tells me that Gold is a good investment just as long as anyone but Ron Paul gets elected.
1975 Riviera we call "Spider-Man"

denjohn
Getting Hooked!

Post by denjohn » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:12 pm

BellePlaine wrote:Wow. This tells me that Gold is a good investment just as long as anyone but Ron Paul gets elected.
Hi Chris....I'm not so sure that if Ron Paul were elected it would have an overall bearish impact on the price of gold.
It seems that re election is not his highest priority as it is w most politicians.
It seems that he is willing to make some hard, perhaps politically suicidal, responsible decisions re the unsustainability of living way beyond our means, thus reining in our spiraling debt.
This part of Ron Paul would seem to keep the price of gold lower, but his efforts to end fiat currency would probably be bullish for gold.
Peace

Spezialist

Post by Spezialist » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:52 pm

So 1700 is the new baseline.
How long before gasoline catches up?!

denjohn
Getting Hooked!

gold isn't going up, paper money's going down.

Post by denjohn » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:20 pm

http://bsfootprint.com/blogs/bsfootprin ... ative-gold
Gas priced in gold

Here's a little something for those of you who think that gasoline is expensive. The price denominated in dollars may be rising, but in historical terms, it's still a bargain for those of us in the U.S. of A.

This chart is inspired by The Silicon Graybeard's post on OPEC and gas prices. Among other things, The Gray One writes about the price of gasoline compared to gold prices, which got me to thinking... what kind of chart would we get if we calculate the average price of gasoline per gallon, in ounces of gold (using the average gasoline and gold price for the year)?

Some examples:

In 1919, with gold at $20.67 an ounce, and gasoline at $0.255 per gallon, it would have cost 0.01232 oz. of gold to buy a gallon of gas.
In 1942, gold was $35/oz. and gasoline at $0.204/gallon, and it would have cost you 0.00584 oz. of gold to buy a gallon of gas.
In 1970, with gold at $36.07/oz., gasoline at $0.357/gallon, you would have coughed up 0.00989 oz. of gold to buy a gallon.
Today, with gold at $1,440/oz., and gasoline at $3.154 (man, I don't know where you can get it for that price, it's about $3.70 a gallon in northern California), you need only 0.00219 oz. of gold to buy a gallon of go-juice.

This may not be all that interesting, except as a reminder that gold isn't going up, paper money's going down. (We might say the same thing about commodities, which I expect are suffering from relatively weak demand in this economy -- but there's far less demand for U.S. Dollars relative to the supply, and people aren't so confident in the U.S. economy's near-future prospects...)

Now, having said all that, gas prices may be causing you pains, because you may be falling behind the inflation curve–I understand your frustration, I agree that it sucks, but it's misguided to blame the oil companies for that. You can thank your genius 'representatives' in Washington who.......................along with the Federal Reserve, are doing just about everything in their power to destroy the value of the Federal Reserve Notes you received for your labor.
http://pricedingold.com/us-retail-gasoline/
This chart shows the retail price of gasoline in the US, given as mg of gold per gallon of gas. It is based on an average price for all grades of gas in all areas of the country, sampled weekly by the Department of Energy.

Prices for gasoline were fairly steady from 1995 to 2008, varying from 100 to 200 mg, and averaging about 130 mg. In 2008, as the economy collapsed, gas prices fell to a new low of 59 mg, and remain around 65 mg today. Yet over the time period covered by this chart, the dollar prices of gas have gone from about $1.00 per gallon to over $3.00 per gallon.

Rather than complaining about high fuel prices, you should realize that fuel prices are near their historic lows!

edit: and that gets us right back to Blatzer's original post:
The price of gold is reflected in the declining value of the dollar; the real story is not the rising value of gold, but the loss of value of the dollar; this is inflation- Is Anyone in DC concerned? What would their plan of action be?
Peace

Spezialist

Post by Spezialist » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:57 am

Sounds like gold is a renewable resource, almost like coal.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: gold isn't going up, paper money's going down.

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:07 am

denjohn wrote:Gas priced in gold
Here's a little something for those of you who think that gasoline is expensive.
In the overall scheme of economic progress, we are being stealthily pick-pocketed, however.
Colin

denjohn
Getting Hooked!

Re: gold isn't going up, paper money's going down.

Post by denjohn » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:33 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
In the overall scheme of economic progress, we are being stealthily pick-pocketed, however.
Colin
You forgot to put the parenthesis around "progress".
But you are undoubtedly right, we are being stealthily pick-pocketed [via inflation], less so those that maintain some of their savings in other than paper fiat currencies, in historical currencies like gold and silver.
"In a social democracy with a fiat currency,
all roads lead to inflation." —Bill Fleckenstein
Peace

denjohn
Getting Hooked!

Inflation

Post by denjohn » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:33 pm

Here is an insightful 12 min video re the stealth pick-pocketing:
http://www.chrismartenson.com/crashcour ... -inflation
Peace