the artic ice is melting!

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:23 am

I did not weigh in on "yes it is/no it's not". I weighed in on how we might discern what's what. The money trail is an interesting one. It is being uncovered slowly but surely that large corporate self-interests are distorting the fuck out of what used to be a fun planet.
Colin :alien:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:13 am

This planet is no fun no more. It's like listenin to Crosby Stills and Nash do Judy Blue eyes live. Terrible.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:35 am

There is still wilderness, that's where all the fun is. Secrets, grand secrets beyond time and space. And then the key to unlock the heart.
A wilderness for every man? An individual snowflake? I say sure why not.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:08 pm

Amskeptic wrote:I did not weigh in on "yes it is/no it's not". I weighed in on how we might discern what's what. The money trail is an interesting one. It is being uncovered slowly but surely that large corporate self-interests are distorting the fuck out of what used to be a fun planet.
Colin :alien:
I don't think anybody weighed in on "yes it is/no it's not" so much as how we might discern the state of the hard science, which can't say one way or the other.

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:40 am

hambone wrote:There is still wilderness, that's where all the fun is. Secrets, grand secrets beyond time and space. And then the key to unlock the heart.
A wilderness for every man? An individual snowflake? I say sure why not.
A wilderness for every man, haha. I like it. I just caught two nice red eared sliders on the river here. Put 'em back in their dirty river home where they belong. I would expect the same treatment. Funny how my back kinik went away for those two hours then returned as soon as I stepped ashore.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:24 pm

Well the new house sports honeysuckle which attracted a hummingbird this morning, and while mowing the overgrown neglected lawn, a small brown frog hopped to safety. Good signs, good signs.

There are a few odd "dead zones" on the place, doubtful it's from natural patterns, common sense suggests they were caused by man, but then no research has been done, so the science is inconclusive, as there are no data sets at this point. Guess I better apply for some funding.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:12 pm

ruckman101 wrote:Well the new house sports honeysuckle which attracted a hummingbird this morning, and while mowing the overgrown neglected lawn, a small brown frog hopped to safety. Good signs, good signs.

There are a few odd "dead zones" on the place, doubtful it's from natural patterns, common sense suggests they were caused by man, but then no research has been done, so the science is inconclusive, as there are no data sets at this point. Guess I better apply for some funding.

neal
Bioremediate bro. Hire a scientist if you want detailed soil sample analysis. Or learn how yourself. Tell ya' what, FungiPerfecti.com has lots o' info.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:01 pm

Oh yeah, Stamets. Could work. I suspect petroleum contamination of some kind.

neal

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:34 pm

Oysters..

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:45 pm

I would just throw spawn on top of the ground you just turned. That and seeds maybe. Maybe some mulch mixed in. It could be deeper but what are you really gonna do? They usually dredge that shit and put in impoundments. I doubt it's that bad unless there has been a lot of shit being dumped for a while. Maybe there was shit goin on there. Look up the history maybe.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:07 pm

The property is essentially a wrecking yard. Right now a dozer, school bus and tired home-built trailer grace my kitchen window view, along with piles of scrap metal. The back half of the lot is full of Studebakers and other rigs. Ramona and Betty fit right in. In fact he already gave me a steering box.

So the natural suspect is petroleum, diesel, anti-freeze, etc. I wonder how the shrooms do with anti-freeze.

neal

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:19 pm

You have quite a laboratory there. I wonder as well : shrooms and anti-freeze etc.. I'm not a mycologist yet. Bioremediation is applicable either way. At least in an experimental way. All I can tell you is Stamets claims to use Pleurotus ostreatus (Oysters) to absorb, <eat>, oil, in his experiments. definitely worth some trying. Might be a few sawbucks of expense at most to take a test. I'll see if I can find a link to the experiment he did.

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:57 pm

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:16 pm

Seeing as this is your backyard, why not also set up some cheap film cameras with remote electric triggered shutter releases to do some time lapse motion pictures of weird shit happenin in the wrecking yard, or some similarly rigged device. Just a thought to burn some time in a creative way.
Like planting a bomb kinda. You want cameras? Hmmn. Fresh out. Old ones are better. I can't depart with my lunchbox DeVry 16 mm.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:00 am

OMG, Oregon represents on Rachel! She interviewed Art Robinson, apparently the republican candidate running against fourth district house representative democrat Peter DeFazio, long on the job.

He pulled a complete turk on her.

neal