Nevada Votes on Decriminalizing Marijuana Nov. 7

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Birdibus
IAC Addict!

Post by Birdibus » Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:16 pm

That is certainly a step in the right direction. Thanks for the news. Last I heard, pot was still a felony in NV. It used to make me very nervous to go to Vegas to see the Dead. I remember seeing a VW bus at the side of road under police lights with the occupant's posessions spread out across the ground while they were being searched. That is just WRONG.

I've never believed medical marijuana initiatives were going to be the final solution. I want to smoke the stuff but I'M NOT SICK! At last!, something helpful to all of us. I hope it passes, I hope it passes, I hope it passes.
71 bus, 74 westy

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:05 am

Right, currently in Nevada simple possession is a misdemeanor until your fourth offense, then you've committed a felony. Any sale or cultivation is a felony. Pretty archaic laws on the books at present, which means that probably just about every Nevadan has seen a family member or friend's life impacted heavily by marijuana prohibition by this point... that right there sows the seeds for decriminalization.

It doesn't become personal until your son/daughter, mother/father, friend/coworker get f**ked over by the mj laws.

I see your point about medical mj laws, but the fact is that there is a more urgent need to get sick people their medicine than there is to provide for recreational users. A lot of medical users suffer horribly the moment they're thrown in jail without access to their medicine.

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:44 pm

Velokid1 wrote: I see your point about medical mj laws, but the fact is that there is a more urgent need to get sick people their medicine than there is to provide for recreational users. A lot of medical users suffer horribly the moment they're thrown in jail without access to their medicine.
That's really what it's about. We've all been told for so long that illegal drugs are bad and that's just all there is to it. Remember Nancy Reagan's contribution of "Just say no"? In reality, there's big money to be made in the so called "War on Drugs", prison populations contine to grow with the incarceration of non violent drug users, thus bringing the need for more prisons. Well they are an easy target, unlike the big time dealers who come armed and very dangerous.
The thing that will really tip the scales towards sanity on this issue is when the feds start rounding up the frail, sick, and dying for possesion of an illegal substance. Our leaders love to speak in grand terms of morality but the reality that marijuana actually helps people is going to prevail.
-John
Keep it acoustic.

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:50 pm

Word! =D>

BTW, may be moving to Corvallis soon. :bounce:

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:39 pm

Velokid1 wrote:Word! =D>

BTW, may be moving to Corvallis soon. :bounce:
WHAT WHAT WHAT????

Are we going to have another bus coming to the area??

:cheers:

(do you want to get the injector then??) :geek:
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:46 pm

Perhaps. LOL

A friend needs help in his renewable energy business and we've been praying for an excuse to move to OR, so this may be it. Fingers crossed.

Birdibus
IAC Addict!

Post by Birdibus » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:41 am

Here is an overview of election results regarding marijuana laws in this nation. Nudge, nudge, we need to get those percentages over 50%.
http://www.norml.org/index.cfm?Group_ID=7084
71 bus, 74 westy

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:09 pm

I'm [inhaaaaale] doin my part as we speak man [exhale].

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:03 pm

PS I smoked in NY last week. I asked the suburban mom that we stayed with in upscale Saratoga Springs what the current "vibe" is regarding the plant etc. She laughed and told me that most people couldn't give a crap. Coast to coast and many places in between....seems to be a non-issue, but there it sits on the books, like a man with an adivistic tail.
I think we should be more worried about climate change and rapid deforestation. I noticed many wooded areas falling to Mc Mansions up in Saratoga, and sadly wasn't shocked.
Fast forward about 100 years and I think every person on Earth is going to need a bucketload of love just to get by.......or we will perish.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:29 pm

hambone wrote:Fast forward about 100 years and I think every person on Earth is going to need a bucketload of love just to get by.......or we will perish.
True words Roberto. The way we're headed with population growth though. Soylent Green is PEOPLE!!!!!
-John
Keep it acoustic.

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:37 pm

Just saw that this didn't pass......DAMMIT!!!
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"