More Microsoft Garbage

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Adventurewagen
IAC Addict!

More Microsoft Garbage

Post by Adventurewagen » Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:25 am

So if MS isn't supposted to be a monopoly how can they get away with doing something like this?

When did the pictures all start getting watermarked with sluggoproductions? I hate branding. :pukeleft:
63 Gulf Blue Notch
71 Sierra Yellow Adventurewagen
DjEep wrote:Velo? Are you being "over-run"? Do you need to swim through a sea of Mexican anchor-babies to get to your bus in the morning?
:wav:

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:32 am

I don't think it's branding... it discourages all of us from having Sluggo host all of our photos that would be used for purposes other than IAC Forums-related.

I really love Mozilla Firefox. They got it right, in my opinion. IE seems like a dinosaur now that I've got Mozilla all dialed in.

Adventurewagen
IAC Addict!

Post by Adventurewagen » Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:40 am

ok, maybe not branding, but it is a pretty garish watermark.

I'm just pissed about the MS thing. Software piracy isn't good, but I don't like having to validate myself everytime I do something with them. I think they are going to use software piracy just like we use the threat of terrorism to overstep their bounds on the control they have over software you own and what you end up being forced to pay and upgrade to, just be online.

Maybe I'm looking too far into the future with this, but I still see MS as just as bad an entity as Walmart. Yet another Evil Empire.
63 Gulf Blue Notch
DjEep wrote:Velo? Are you being "over-run"? Do you need to swim through a sea of Mexican anchor-babies to get to your bus in the morning?

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:56 am

Tell us more about Firefox.

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:43 am

I just installed Firefox. I like it. The Tabs feature is great!
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:53 pm

Here's a good page:

http://www.pejo.us/Firefox.asp

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:17 pm

Well, I'm no advocate of Big Business, but think about it from their point of view. They're losing millions because of worldwide software piracy, especially overseas. This is a way to prevent that, theoretically.

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:46 pm

...or drive more people to free, open source software...
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:07 pm

DjEep wrote:...or drive more people to free, open source software...
Or drive them off the grid.

slowtwitch
I'm New!

Post by slowtwitch » Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:45 am

I've been using Firefox for some time and I'm hooked on it. Very , Very good program.

pete

nakedfrog
Getting Hooked!

Post by nakedfrog » Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:30 am

Yeah, I was a Netscape user from version 1.2/2 all the way until Firefox (then Phoenix) version 0.4 came out. I just use IE for work, since that's where the market share still is, and what most of our clients use.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." - Ford Prefect

Adventurewagen
IAC Addict!

Post by Adventurewagen » Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:44 am

I've now started using FF again. I used to run basically all the browsers since I worked in web development and would need multiple test platforms, but I gotta say that FF is slower that IE.

I'll go to a site and it will take longer for the pictures to load than in IE. Anyone else find this?
63 Gulf Blue Notch

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: More Microsoft Garbage

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:53 am

Adventurewagen wrote:So if MS isn't supposted to be a monopoly how can they get away with doing something like this?

When did the pictures all start getting watermarked with sluggoproductions? I hate branding. :pukeleft:
Piracy is an issue for the corporate behomeths. Their efforts to control the proliferation of bootleg copies is expected. Creative subversion will indeed get to work on the latest challenge.

The Itinerant Air-Cooled watermark is stunningly ugly and invasive, we all agree on that one. Subtlety is coming once I get to the drawing board. This watermark will be important as we flood the site with technical art/diagrams over the winter. (I will have a nice site logo that can be used for our copyright) Do you have an effective suggestion for us to maintain proprietary control over these "intellectual property" images?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:55 am

Adventurewagen, I just accidently butchered your post up the thread. I thought I was just quoting the text I wanted to respond to, but was on God-Edit mode. . . . . sorry man.
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Adventurewagen
IAC Addict!

Post by Adventurewagen » Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:10 am

Amskeptic wrote:Adventurewagen, I just purposely blew up your post because I AM GOD in Sluggo land. I thought about just deleting it because I AM GOD on this site... too bad for you :pirate:
No worries :) I got a good laugh out of it anyway.
63 Gulf Blue Notch