DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Fossils are Offensive!

Post by DurocShark » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:11 am

You just can't make this stuff up.

Furious evolution debate hits Kenyan museum
September 04 2006 at 11:31AM
By Lillian Omariba

Nairobi - The global debate between scientists and conservative Christians over evolution has hit Kenya, where an exhibit of one of the world's finest collections of early hominid fossils is under threat.

As the famed National Museum of Kenya (NMK) prepares to re-open next year after massive EU-funded renovations, evangelicals are demanding the display be removed or at least shunted to a less prominent location.

The Origins Of Man exhibit, comprised of pre-historic finds from around Africa's Great Rift Valley considered by many to be the cradle of humanity, is offensive as it promotes Charles Darwin's theory of evolution, they say.

'The church is being ridiculous'
"When museums put it out there that man evolved from apes, theologically they are affecting many people who are Christians, who believe God created us," says Bishop Boniface Adoyo, who is leading a campaign against the exhibit.

"It's creating a big weapon against Christians that's killing our faith," he told AFP, calling evolution theory an "insult" and dangerous to youths. "When children go to museums they'll start believing we evolved from these apes.

"This is not the truth," said Adoyo, pastor of Nairobi's "Christ is the Answer Ministries" and chairman of the Evangelical Alliance of Kenya, which claims to represent churches of 35 denominations with nine million members.

"I can't stand it, neither can other Christians," he said.

The bishop's high-profile drive to force the government-funded museum to downgrade what is arguably its most important collection has put him squarely at odds with the scientific community and curators.

'This is not the truth'
Many of the fossils were discovered by legendary paleontologists Louis and Mary Leakey in east Africa whose pre-historic finds around the Olduvai Gorge, Lake Victoria and Lake Turkana are seen by many as proof of Darwin's theory.

Their son, Richard, himself a noted anthropologist and conservationist, is particularly disturbed by the furore and is speaking out against what he says is a misguided attempt to reject sound science.

"The church is being ridiculous," he told AFP. "The church leaders are out of step. They should concentrate on their faith and leave scientists to concentrate on their historical work and defend it."

"Evolution theory is accepted across the world," he said. "This is scientific history and Kenya has the best of this evolutional history. Globally, few can match that claim to fame."

Officials at the museum, which houses priceless items including remains of hominid species dating back 1,7 million to 1,2 million years, are loath to get involved in the fractious debate but defend the exhibition.

"The fossils have confirmed Kenya's position as the cradle of mankind and have drawn large numbers of visitors," the museum said in a statement released shortly after Adoyo launched his campaign.

In an email response to questions posed by AFP, NMK director general Farah Iddle said the museum "strives to accommodate divergent views and ideas".

"However, it also has the responsibility of ensuring that the integral research findings that have been developed over time are preserved," he said.

"This includes the fossil collection that's the scientific evidence that shows the relationship between apes' fossils dated millions of years back and the modern man."

Exact display plans for the exhibit when the 75-year-old museum re-opens in June 2007 are still being discussed but officials said they hope to keep it in a position of prominence among three new re-designed galleries.

What will not likely change, they say, is the placement of a huge bronze sculpture outside the museum's main gate, which depicts a series of figures from ape to humans gradually becoming more erect as they walk.

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1 ... 884508A162

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:50 am

Evolution, huh? Sound scientific evee-dance?
Sounds like the work of :diabloanifire:
to mee...
Huk'yuk...
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:54 pm

Ever notice that the stronger a person claims their faith to be, the more they need to eliminate anything that potentially challenges it? I guess when you have all the answers there's no point to keep searching for the truth. I'm really glad I don't have all the answers.
-John
Keep it acoustic.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:55 am

LiveonJG wrote:Ever notice that the stronger a person claims their faith to be, the more they need to eliminate anything that potentially challenges it? I guess when you have all the answers there's no point to keep searching for the truth. I'm really glad I don't have all the answers.
-John
Right on
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:23 pm

"truth" is a very funny and bloblike creature anyway...it has a habit of changing, based on the perspective of the viewer.
My hands are Yaks unless proven otherwise.

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:53 pm

There were some insightful comments (buried in the usual evolution vs. creationism noise) when this story hit fark.com the other day. Among others:
If your faith isn't strong enough to survive a rational interpretation of a few old bones, it's not much of a faith.
Wow. The irrefutable evidence of a different kind of human is so threatening to some.
and
The "problem" with science and religion is that they ask TWO DIFFERENT QUESTIONS.
1. Science asks "How?"
2. Religion asks "Why?"
"How" will eventually be answered. "Why" will never be answered. Quit mixing #2 with #1. Thank You

hambone

Post by hambone » Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:12 pm

I couldn't agree more.

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!

Post by LiveonJG » Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:59 pm

hambone wrote:"truth" is a very funny and bloblike creature anyway...it has a habit of changing, based on the perspective of the viewer.
My hands are Yaks unless proven otherwise.
Truth really isn't that hard to wrap your head around. If something can be proven through scientific means, rational and unbiased, then it is the truth. Faith isn't truth no matter how hard we try to believe it is. Take for example the suicide bomber.

Truth:
Strapping explosives to yourself and detonating them will most likely result in your death.

Faith:
You will be recieved in heaven by 72 virgins.

Ironic twist:
You find out that due to a transcription error, you only get one virgin, and... she's 72 years old!

-John
Keep it acoustic.

hambone

Post by hambone » Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:34 pm

"Truth" is relative to the perceiver though....

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!

Post by LiveonJG » Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:11 pm

hambone wrote:"Truth" is relative to the perceiver though....
Then it isn't truth.
Keep it acoustic.

hambone

Post by hambone » Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:24 pm

To me - it seems that all we have is what our senses tell us, which gets processed in our brains. Universes? sub-atomic particles? Chickens? Cells? All goin on hilly nilly hurtlin thru space...
Man, this whole concept of defining truth is a sticky matter! I understand what you're sayin about group consensus creating a unified whole "reality" with all the laws that govern the security of our square space of cosmic real-estate. But Truth, as an all encompassing definition.. I have a hard time with that in the big scene. Just the fact that we are concious entities, in itself, is a crazy thing to pin down. But, we are part of it here somehow, and it's good to share our points of view like this.
Peace!
-Roberto

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:54 pm

hambone wrote: I understand what you're sayin about group consensus creating a unified whole "reality" with all the laws that govern the security of our square space of cosmic real-estate.
But Truth, as an all encompassing definition..
Just the fact that we are concious is a crazy thing to pin down.
It is not that difficult for all of us individually conscious beings to agree that we will not cram our beliefs down others' throats, but we will agree on the current definitions of scientific method to reach consensus in the meantime.

That's too scary for the insecure. They will natter that their Belief is The Only Way, to help distract themselves from their fears. . . that give away their lack of faith.

It is good enough in my universe that all of us debating poorly behaved sentient monkeys are alive. That is a Cosmic Miracle that I don't have to convince anyone of.
Colin

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!

Post by LiveonJG » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:54 pm

hambone wrote:But, we are part of it here somehow, and it's good to share our points of view like this.
Peace!
-Roberto
You got that right.
-John
Keep it acoustic.

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:00 am

Anybody watch 30 Days? I noticed in a couple of episodes (the evangelical christian/atheist and pro-life/pro-choice) that the "believers" almost had a moment of realization. They said that their counterpoints had raised some very intriguing questions that they couldn't answer based on their current beliefs. Then right before the realization really sunk in and made them start to take responsibilty for there own lives, they retreated to their comfort zone by saying (paraphrase) "this has only made my faith stronger, it's a test, I have to believe extra hard now because that is what God is trying to make me do by making me ponder these questions."

The more the questions are raised the deeper they retreat into "faith" to avoid them.
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:27 am

DjEep wrote: The more the questions are raised the deeper they retreat into "faith" to avoid them.
What gets me is the Creation Miracle as per 7 days, is so much smaller than the magnificent All Those Millions And Millions Of Years Evolution Miracle.
Colin