Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Re: what has trump done right?

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:30 pm

hippiewannabe wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:13 pm
I caught up with a friend who moved away years ago. We spoke on the phone a few times, and became Facebook friends. Back in April Barbara Bush died, around the same time some magician did. He posted how the entertainer was going to a euphemism for heaven, and Barbara Bush was going to hell. Perhaps I should have engaged him, to maybe rethink such a statement, but I immediately unfriended him.
EXACTLY! (completely understand your actions, and it makes a good segue ) That is my point . I have a piece of art hanging in my house that states "the only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth of the hole." People have retreated to their comfortable corners (the rut...and eventually the grave). The reality is no dialogue... no constructive change ergo, we (and you can define that 'we' as either the US or the World) won't change. This is REALLY bothering me that we can't have constructive conversations.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

xyzzy
Getting Hooked!

Post by xyzzy » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:20 am

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/4e7bfc83-4 ... onger.html

Sweet! Now I can simply lick all the asbestos in my warm air intake duct to clean it...

We should be able to measure the apex of stupidity soon!
---
1973 Westfalia
Encinitas, California USA

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:04 pm

Trump opined Marijuana should be removed from it's current Schedule I of the Controlled Substances Act. That's about all I can think of.

Bridging those divides and opening conversation in efforts to do so is tenuous at best. I'm heartened in the knowledge most folks are actually caring, empathetic folks whose core interests more often than not reflect mine. The difference lies solely in the methodology to address those concerns and interests. I don't buy into the "us vs them" model. We are all human. We are all us. Them are us. I'm sick to the soul of hearing the drumbeat that insists I should fear them.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:33 am

ruckman101 wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:04 pm

Bridging those divides and opening conversation in efforts to do so is tenuous at best. I'm heartened in the knowledge most folks are actually caring, empathetic folks whose core interests more often than not reflect mine. The difference lies solely in the methodology to address those concerns and interests. I don't buy into the "us vs them" model. We are all human. We are all us. Them are us. I'm sick to the soul of hearing the drumbeat that insists I should fear them.

neal
Wish I had a "like" button.... could not have said it better myself.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

Abscate
Getting Hooked!

Post by Abscate » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:34 am

2. We have been shown something of the seedy underbelly of this country ... how racism and fascism can still raise its ugly head from time to time and be greeted not with disgust but with approval. We are not as morally pure as a nation than we have pretended that we were.
Add misogyny to the list.

Despite winning the popular vote by 4M+, HRC lost in key states due to us not being ready for a powerful women in power. Instead we got the criminal-epsilon (DT has not been convicted of a crime, but the noose tightened a lot this week)

Brighter note - the few relatives in my family just got the news that none of their deductions will count and their tax bills are going up net year by 40-50%. I told them is was the Democrats.

Abscate
Getting Hooked!

Post by Abscate » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:30 am

I did not add value to this thread as requested, my bad.

Trump has accurately called out that our contribution to NATO is probably excessive compared to the countries in question. Arguably, by percentage of GDP, we are paying more than our fair share, if equality is the goal.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:35 pm

Abscate wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:30 am
I did not add value to this thread as requested, my bad.

Trump has accurately called out that our contribution to NATO is probably excessive compared to the countries in question. Arguably, by percentage of GDP, we are paying more than our fair share, if equality is the goal.

... except that he is wrong.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/09/us/p ... nding.html

Meanwhile, I am grateful to Donald Trump for speeding up the Nation's collective discovery of just who these republican leaders really are.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Abscate
Getting Hooked!

Post by Abscate » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:12 am

Yeah he didn’t get the facts right, but the formula to which he refers isn’t equitable, if fraction of GDP is the “ fairness yardstick”

Sidebar...do you see how that works Trump Tribalists? I don’t say it’s fake news, or demonize the source. We discuss the issues with our brains, not our colons.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:20 am

While I am grateful to Trump for hastening the reckoning . . . I see almost nothing that he has "done right".
Colin
(why is fraction of GDP not equitable? This mirrors the argument of the wealthy who claim they pay all the taxes because the numbers are larger than the middle class who pay a greater share of their income)

Abscate
Getting Hooked!

Post by Abscate » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:55 pm

I think fraction of GDP is a decent measure of fairness, and the Trump is right that we are paying more than the other NATO members using this yardstick

If he can really parlay his tariffs into a new trade agreement better than before, I’ll give him credit for that. Work in progress.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:25 pm

Abscate wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:55 pm
If he can really parlay his tariffs into a new trade agreement better than before, I’ll give him credit for that. Work in progress.
I will be willing to grant him here the same value as that of helping us discover what the bottom looks like domestically. If he has frightened the global order to re-think, yes.

Abscate
Getting Hooked!

Post by Abscate » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:31 am

New NAFTA perhaps?

NAFTA was generally regarded as beneficial to the US economy overall, but unskilled labor of course took it in the shorts.

The new agreement looks like progress, at my first reading at least.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:56 am

Abscate wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:31 am
New NAFTA perhaps?

NAFTA was generally regarded as beneficial to the US economy overall, but unskilled labor of course took it in the shorts.

The new agreement looks like progress, at my first reading at least.

Seriously, not much. A couple of back-slides actually. Lots of bloviating, though. The best bloviating.
Automobiles must have 75 percent of their components manufactured in Mexico, the US, or Canada to qualify for zero tariffs (up from 62.5 percent under NAFTA).

40 to 45 percent of automobile parts have to be made by workers who earn at least $16 an hour by 2023.

Mexico has also agreed to pass laws giving workers the right to union representation, extending labor protections to migrant workers, and protecting women from discrimination. The countries can also sanction one another for labor violations.

US farmers get more access to the Canadian dairy market: The US got Canada to open up its dairy market to US farmers, which was a big issue for Trump.

Intellectual property and digital trade: The deal extends copyright terms to 70 years beyond the life of the author (up from 50). It also extends the period that a pharmaceutical drug can be protected from generic competition,
(yay for expensive proprietary drugs!)

new provisions to deal with the digital economy, including prohibiting duties on things like music and e-books, and protections for internet companies so they’re not liable for content their users produce.

No section 232 tariff protections: Section 232 is a trade loophole that Trump used to impose steel and aluminum tariffs on Canada, Mexico, and the European Union. Canada and Mexico wanted protections from these tariffs as part of the NAFTA negotiations, and the fact that tariffs are still in place remains a sore subject, particularly for Canada. Canada and Mexico did get the US to make a side agreement that shields them from possible auto tariffs under 232.

Sunset clause: The agreement adds a 16-year “sunset” clause — meaning the terms of the agreement expire, or “sunset,” after a set period of time. The deal is also subject to a review every six years, at which point the US, Mexico, and Canada can decide to extend the USMCA.