1972 Westy tintop
2056cc T-4 - 7.8:1 CR
Weber 40mm Duals - 47.5idles, 125mains, F11 tubes, 190 Air corr., 28mm Vents
96mm AA Biral P/C's w/Hastings rings
42x36mm Heads (AMC- Headflow Masters) w/Porsche swivel adjusters
71mm Stroke
Web Cam 73 w/matched Web lifters
S&S 4-1 exhaust w/Walker 17862 quiet-pack
Pertronix SVDA w/Pertronix module & Flamethrower 40K coil (7* initial 28* total @3200+)
NGK BP6ET plugs
002 3 rib trans
Hankook 185R14's

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Genius? No applications accepted.

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:04 am

"Over-qualified". Happens. When I hired people to work for me in my HVAC business, the smart ones left to go start their own businesses with all the intellectual capital I invested in them. Two of them became competitors in L.A. I like smart people, but . . .
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:48 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
"Over-qualified". Happens. When I hired people to work for me in my HVAC business, the smart ones left to go start their own businesses with all the intellectual capital I invested in them. Two of them became competitors in L.A. I like smart people, but . . .
I once listened to a business CD on "Top Grading" your employees. The scoring was A, B or C. It's concept was; you really want all "A" players surrounding you in your business but.. there were places in your business for B's and C's as well.

As a regional manager in my past, overseeing 15 different locations, I found it to be a very slippery slope when going thru the hiring process. You wanted to hire the best candiate interviewing while also understanding the candidates full capacity and potential to grow. Often times, you MAY rule someone out for an entry to mid-level positions because they were "A" players who would be too impatient to invest the time in the company to grow into positions of more responsibility and compensation. On the other end, you might interview a "C" player and know he/she didn't possess the attributes to be anything other than a "C" player. This was ok as some positions were a good fit for them and they were typically the least likely to job jump if satisfied with their job and pay.

What I learned in over 20 years in that role was you needed a good mix of A, B and C players in a business. You wanted to see the "C" players grow into "B" or even "A" players down the road. Grow with the company. It's good for moral, culture and employee retention. If you only hire "A" players for your business, your turn-over rate will be significantly higher as they are the ones who want it all "NOW" and will become your competitor down the line.
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:40 am

wcfvw69 wrote:You wanted to see the "C" players grow into "B" or even "A" players down the road.
I got burned by a hire in L.A. He was so southern California hippie-dippy crisped brain. On our very first practicum at a customer's house where I played the assistant and he was to be the seasoned technician, the customer opened the door,
"Oh hi, I am so glad you're here."
"Hello m'am, so where is this bogus piece of capitalist trash?"
I could not stop laughing. He turned out to be brilliant, moved along to bigger and better things within the year.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles