Election Results

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Re: Election Results

Post by Bleyseng » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:37 pm

I think the "Early Voting" is more important to blacks, latinos and other minorities a so they can vote on the weekend vs on Tuesday. Their jobs often make it difficult to vote on Ztuesday fighting long lines at the polls.

I am wondering about the slow or lost voter registrations in several states supressing votes. Now thats voter fraud that should be investigated
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:36 pm

For full disclosure ... I split my ticket on the 'big' votes... thought the republican self professed 'nerd' had done a pretty good job and voted for Rick, on the senate ballot I voted democratic .... as for Terri Lynn Land I had nightmares of Sara .... not feelin' it.

My biggest concern about a Republican controlled House and Senate is their myopic focus on dismantling the affordable healthcare act. Is it perfect? Nope. Is it a step in the right direction and needs some tweaking? Yep. SOMETHING needs to be done about the cost of healthcare here.

Perfect case in point: I know a good, hard working couple that 20 years ago mortgaged their house to the hilt because their 17 y/o son had brain cancer....even if your insurance company is paying 80%, if you owe 20% of $1M that's still a lot to owe. BTW - they were close to paying off their house when this happened. Good news is his boy survived and lives a productive healthy life.

Fast forward 17 years. Husband has been a welder all of his life, and now has back issues... can't lift, can't feel his hands. Goes in for surgery and nothing is better. He is now 62 years old and can't work...finally is receiving disability a couple of months ago. He and his wife are about to lose the house they've lived in for the past 30 years. You work hard all your life, do the right thing pay your bills, and then just as your are supposed to be ready to retire, you get the rug yanked out from underneath you because of health care bills past and present. We're not talking about cutting out going out to dinner to pay some co-pays...we're talking about having the roof over your head that you have paid for and maintained for 3 decades taken away from you...that is B.S.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:46 pm

TrollFromDownBelow wrote:we're talking about having the roof over your head that you have paid for and maintained for 3 decades taken away from you...that is B.S.
Amen brother . . .
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

hippiewannabe
Old School!

Post by hippiewannabe » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:37 pm

Rick Snyder is a pragmatic and moderate guy. I give him credit for standing up to the extreme wing of the party who didn't want to accept the Obamacare Medicaid expansion. He disagreed with it at the start, but once it passed, it would have been stupid to turn down free (federal) money to help the poor.

Obamacare improved some things at the edges, but it pretty much left our bloated system intact and just made it mandatory. It could have been bipartisan and gotten some Republican support if they'd just been willing to do tort reform, but the ambulance chasers who own the Democrats wouldn't hear of it.

Nobody should be bankrupted by a health issue. It was right to add millions of new users to the system, and not refuse coverage for pre-existing conditions. But it was a deliberate, barefaced lie to claim they could do that without spending more.
Truth is like poetry.
And most people fucking hate poetry.

hippiewannabe
Old School!

Post by hippiewannabe » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:45 pm

ruckman101 wrote:A conveniently narrow sampling hippie wannabe.
In what sense? The criticism I've read of the survey they use is that it was too broad. By sampling the general population, rather than just registered voters, it over-estimates how many voters would be impacted by voter ID laws.
Truth is like poetry.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:41 pm

I fail to see the logic there. How would a broader sampling over-estimate what they are attempting to estimate? That seems contrary.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

hippiewannabe
Old School!

Post by hippiewannabe » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:39 pm

ruckman101 wrote:I fail to see the logic there. How would a broader sampling over-estimate what they are attempting to estimate? That seems contrary.
It's about accurately targeting the sample to address the question you are trying to answer. If you want to estimate the effect on the outcome of elections, you need to find the impact on people who will vote, not the population at large.

A famous statistical failure is the "Dewey Defeats Truman" headline. They did a phone survey, and asked who would the respondent vote for. Dewey was the clear winner. The problem was, back then, households that had a phone tended to be richer than average, a population that tended to vote Republican.

To quote the philosopher Big Daddy Kane, statistics ain't easy.
Truth is like poetry.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:27 pm

The reality is that these laws disproportionately impact the poor, regardless of their ethnicity or age.

neal

hippiewannabe
Old School!

Post by hippiewannabe » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:01 pm

ruckman101 wrote:The reality is that these laws disproportionately impact the poor, regardless of their ethnicity or age.

neal
Ah yes, but according to Obama, many of those don't support him because they aren't enlightened and cling to their guns or religion, so it all comes out in the wash.
Truth is like poetry.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:28 am

That strikes me as an over-simplification of much larger dynamics at work.

neal

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:55 am

"But there’s one stat that I’m fairly certain you won’t see any Republican want to address – the abysmal voter turnout. How bad was it? Well, we just experienced the worst voter turnout in this country since 1942. You know, right in the middle of WWII. In fact, only 34.6 percent of the voting-eligible public voted this year. To be fair, voter turnout during midterm elections is always lower than during presidential election years – but not this low. It’s like I’ve said before, the huge victory for the GOP came on one of the saddest days for democracy we’ve seen in decades. And now we have even more stats to back it up. This election shouldn’t be a celebration for anyone who loves democracy. This isn’t a “government of the people, by the people, for the people,” as Abraham Lincoln once said. This is a government that’s been determined by just over one in three Americans who were eligible to vote. Essentially two-thirds of this country had no voice in this election. Now, is that the fault of Republicans? Not entirely. I’m sure some will blame voter ID, but while those ridiculous and unnecessary laws might have lowered voter turnout in some areas, I think disgust and apathy are the real culprits behind this embarrassing turnout. These are feelings that are directly related to the unprecedented gridlock we’ve seen in Congress since 2010. And that is the fault of the Republican party" :banghead: :banghead:
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:48 pm

hippiewannabe wrote: Obamacare improved some things at the edges, but it pretty much left our bloated system intact

It could have gotten some Republican support if they'd just been willing to do tort reform, but the ambulance chasers who own the Democrats wouldn't hear of it.
a) Would you have been for single-payer?

b) Tort reform was NOT held up by ambulance chasers. There was a respectful discussion that yielded incontrovertible evidence that it is a non-issue.
One half of one percent of our annual medical costs go to medical malpractice.
Yet 98,000 people die from medical errors each year.
Defensive medicine is actually a profit-driver for greedy hospital corporations and unethical doctors.
Obamacare has offered some serious cost-saving strategies through online peer-review.
Tort reform is a red herring brought to you by those reliably obtuse Republicans.
Colin
(and I say sue the bastards who reuse catheters and kill people by cutting corners)

hippiewannabe
Old School!

Post by hippiewannabe » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:16 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
hippiewannabe wrote: Obamacare improved some things at the edges, but it pretty much left our bloated system intact

It could have gotten some Republican support if they'd just been willing to do tort reform, but the ambulance chasers who own the Democrats wouldn't hear of it.
a) Would you have been for single-payer?

b) Tort reform was NOT held up by ambulance chasers. There was a respectful discussion that yielded incontrovertible evidence that it is a non-issue.
One half of one percent of our annual medical costs go to medical malpractice.
Yet 98,000 people die from medical errors each year.
Defensive medicine is actually a profit-driver for greedy hospital corporations and unethical doctors.
Obamacare has offered some serious cost-saving strategies through online peer-review.
Tort reform is a red herring brought to you by those reliably obtuse Republicans.
Colin
(and I say sue the bastards who reuse catheters and kill people by cutting corners)
a) yes. single payer to cover everyone, with a second tier for those so inclined. A huge percentage of our health spending goes for administration and overhead, and the regulations have gotten so onerous that we might as well just blow it all up and pay directly. Service would probably suffer, but at least we would be paying for health care, not lawyers and insurance overhead.

b) wrong. The total cost of healthcare is so enormous that you can divide multi-million dollar awards by the total spending and get a small number, but the impact of malpractice lawsuits on costs is huge. The current pay-for-service regime reinforces the ridiculousness. Order more tests, more procedures, more drugs; it helps cover your ass against lawsuits, and somebody else is paying.
Even more striking was the finding that 58% of ob-gyns said they changed how they practiced due to the risk or fear of being sued. Slightly more than one out of four ob-gyns (27%) decreased the number of high-risk patients, 24% increased the number of cesarean deliveries, 19% stopped offering VBACs, and 6% dropped obstetrics altogether.
http://www.acog.org/About-ACOG/News-Roo ... nd-Ob-Gyns
Truth is like poetry.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:48 pm

hippiewannabe wrote: b) wrong. The total cost of healthcare is so enormous that you can divide multi-million dollar awards by the total spending and get a small number, but the impact of malpractice lawsuits on costs is huge.
Look it up . . .
Medical malpractice payments are at their lowest level ever, $3.14 billion, one-tenth of 1 percent of national health care costs.

There are a lot of boogymen in the republican closets these days . . .
Colin :geek: