Interesting OpEd in TIME

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

yondermtn
Old School!

Interesting OpEd in TIME

Post by yondermtn » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:46 am

http://time.com/3111474/rand-paul-ferguson-police/

I haven't been following the news as much lately as life is moving so fast right now, but I did read this piece and thought some here might be interested. I'm going to try to catch up on what's going on in MO.
1977 Westy 2.0FI
1990 Vanagon MV 2.1 Auto

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Interesting OpEd in TIME

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:43 am

yondermtn wrote:http://time.com/3111474/rand-paul-ferguson-police/

I haven't been following the news as much lately as life is moving so fast right now, but I did read this piece and thought some here might be interested. I'm going to try to catch up on what's going on in MO.
I too find life fast right now, and there are many pots simmering here in Free Speech that I want to stir.
ColinWillFindTheTime
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:18 pm

yondermtn wrote:http://time.com/3111474/rand-paul-ferguson-police/

Good for Rand Paul. Spot on.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

MonoCone
Getting Hooked!

Post by MonoCone » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:12 am

For the most part I believe that Rand Paul is a dangerous lunatic with a only a vague grasp of reality.
In this article he is completely "spot on".

We are vacationing in Alaska right now. The paper in Sitka interviewed a local police chief about small PDs having combat gear. He said something like: "..we have 4 M-16s. They have no place in a local PD. I would like to return them so we no longer need to keep track of them."
To Really Live You Must Go Back to the Mountains.
The Mountains are Where I Am and What I Am.
69 Westfalia 1600 DP; 2002 Eurovan Camper
When you elect a clown, expect a circus.

Formerly posted as OB Bus on this forum - many years ago....

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:17 am

Kudos to Sitka police. Here in Miami, we are loaded with military hardware, supposedly for "the war on drugs." I guess that at some point, we will be setting up some field artillery to shell any marijuana ships that get too close to South Beach. Of course, Miami-Dade police have had a contentious relationship with the citizenry here since about the 1950's. Them dirty coppers!

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:26 pm

Agree that local peace officers don't need to be armed to the gills. I've read (somewhere...can't remember where) That the attitude towards police officers increased substantially when they were taken out of cars and put on a 'beat' aka foot patrol. Puts them up close and personal to the folks they are protecting. Removing heavy armor and weapons is akin to doing the same thing.

But folks, Rand Paul is doing this to promote his own objectives. But hey, seriously, this is how compromise and progress is made when both sides of the isle can find common ground. Need more of that.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:14 am

I agree that we should demilitarize local police but I did have a conversation with my cousin who is a Maryland State trooper. He said the whole game changed when those Russian thugs attacked a bank and the police a few years ago with auto weapons loaded with armor piercing bullets. The police had a hard time standing up to them as bullet went right though cars, i.e. they had no defense against them.

So how do we strike a balance? I do think police are shooting first and dead people can't testify against them so way too much violence by the police in any situation.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/