Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Inside a company that works a 4-day week

Post by Bleyseng » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:29 am

http://alj.am/1r6hbio
Awesome, a 4 day workweek!

It works in Portland so why can't this work in the rest of the USA? Higher efficiency and production which should mean higher wages for less time worked, Yay!
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Re: Inside a company that works a 4-day week

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:50 pm

My brother works at General Dynamics, they work 9.5 hours a day and get every other friday off as long as they don't have a big project, etc. That would be freakin' awesome! Heck, as it is I put in 9.5 - 10 hours a day in as it is .... believe me, don't have time to be surfing the net....heck, on many days I don't even have time to send a quick email reply to my wife for several hours. but I do get a generous PTO amount each year... 4 weeks and I can carry over 2 weeks. My bad for not taking it all the time.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

MonoCone
Getting Hooked!

Post by MonoCone » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:54 am

During my working years I was on a "5-4-9" schedule for some time. It was great...every other Friday off (or Monday; we could choose). If you were creative when you took your "off" day you could end up with more 3-day weekends (by alternating the Monday holidays), or with more 4-day weekends by taking your Friday "off" before a Monday holiday. 4 days off with zero vacation charged.
I did some 4X10 work but those days are really long, more so if you have a family you like to spend time with.
To Really Live You Must Go Back to the Mountains.
The Mountains are Where I Am and What I Am.
69 Westfalia 1600 DP; 2002 Eurovan Camper
When you elect a clown, expect a circus.

Formerly posted as OB Bus on this forum - many years ago....

yondermtn
Old School!

Post by yondermtn » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:10 am

We have Summer hours. From May-September we let out at noon on Friday. We still pay for 8 hours that day. Of course, I usually stay all day anyway as I'm usually busy. We also let the employees work 8.5 hr days Mon-Thur so they can take the entire Friday off.
A lot depends on the industry you're in and how many employees you have.
1977 Westy 2.0FI
1990 Vanagon MV 2.1 Auto

JLT
Old School!

Post by JLT » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:52 pm

When I lived in New Mexico, I worked in a factory that had ten hour days, four days a week. Get to work at six-thirty AM, get home at five-thirty P.M. (We had an hour for lunch, which we weren't paid for, and a fifteen-minute break in the afternoon.) It was nice to have that extra day, but sometimes I needed it just to catch up on my sleep, so it ended up being a wash. I don't think it really affected our productivity, because after I was a foreman at that factory, I went to work in the same job in a factory that had a regular 5-day schedule, and the work output was about the same.

On the other hand, my wife used to work what they called a "9-8-80" schedule when she was a programmer. The idea was that you worked nine hours a day for four days and eight hours for the fifth day. The next week, you'd work four nine-hour days and have the fifth day off. She really liked that schedule, since the last hour of a nine-hour day was one where she could work uninterrupted and really get into a programming "zone." And every other weekend was a long weekend.
-- JLT
Sacramento CA

Present bus: '71 Dormobile Westie "George"
(sometimes towing a '65 Allstate single-wheel trailer)
Former buses: '61 17-window Deluxe "Pink Bus"
'70 Frankenwestie "Blunder Bus"
'71 Frankenwestie "Thunder Bus"

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:48 pm

JLT wrote:When I lived in New Mexico, I worked in a factory that had ten hour days, four days a week. Get to work at six-thirty AM, get home at five-thirty P.M. (We had an hour for lunch, which we weren't paid for, and a fifteen-minute break in the afternoon.) It was nice to have that extra day, but sometimes I needed it just to catch up on my sleep, so it ended up being a wash. I don't think it really affected our productivity, because after I was a foreman at that factory, I went to work in the same job in a factory that had a regular 5-day schedule, and the work output was about the same.

On the other hand, my wife used to work what they called a "9-8-80" schedule when she was a programmer. The idea was that you worked nine hours a day for four days and eight hours for the fifth day. The next week, you'd work four nine-hour days and have the fifth day off. She really liked that schedule, since the last hour of a nine-hour day was one where she could work uninterrupted and really get into a programming "zone." And every other weekend was a long weekend.
When I was an HVAC technician, we were 8:00AM until the job was done (7:00-8:00-9:00PM) with 7:00AM meetings every Monday morning. I was on-call 24/7 every other week for a week, that meant my pager could go off at 3:00AM and I just had to get out there and fix what was broken. First through third year one week unpaid vacation, one week paid vacation added at three year point.
Colin
(now the boss is a real a-hole, I am still at work AND I have to drive to Oregon AND I have to pay for my own gas AND I have to camp in my car because he is too cheap to put me up in a motel?? )
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

72Hardtop
Old School!

Post by 72Hardtop » Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:12 am

Now working on my 2nd retirement. The current employer (County hospital) offers decent wage/benefits

100% Medical, Vision and Dental (incl. $3,000 yearly Orthodontics per family member)
3-4 weeks paid vacation (depending on hours worked) unused hours carry over each year (no cap)
Paid sick leave (unused hours carry over each year) no cap
PERS Retirement

Work schedule:

2 (12) hour shifts
2 (8) hour shifts
3 days off each week

Looking at possibly going to 3 (12) hour shifts each week soon :cheers:
1972 Westy tintop
2056cc T-4 - 7.8:1 CR
Weber 40mm Duals - 47.5idles, 125mains, F11 tubes, 190 Air corr., 28mm Vents
96mm AA Biral P/C's w/Hastings rings
42x36mm Heads (AMC- Headflow Masters) w/Porsche swivel adjusters
71mm Stroke
Web Cam 73 w/matched Web lifters
S&S 4-1 exhaust w/Walker 17862 quiet-pack
Pertronix SVDA w/Pertronix module & Flamethrower 40K coil (7* initial 28* total @3200+)
NGK BP6ET plugs
002 3 rib trans
Hankook 185R14's