At The Edge Of Humanity

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

At The Edge Of Humanity

Post by Amskeptic » Sat May 17, 2014 10:28 am

Really, the kidnapping of Nigerian school girls is an opportunity for humanity to express its most human values as we search for solutions across a variety of fronts. Look carefully at *who* misses this opportunity in favor of yet another crashingly petty opportunity to stay mired in their tiny minds:

May 16, 2014
Vanity Fair
How Obama Derangement Led Conservatives to Laugh about Child Slavery
by Kurt Eichenwald

You know what I think is funny? The Elizabeth Smart kidnapping. Oh, wait—and what about those three women who were held hostage in Cleveland and raped repeatedly? Man, does that lend itself to some late-night talk-show humor. Oh, oh! The Lindbergh kidnapping—that boy died. Hilarious!

O.K., I believe nothing I just said. Each of those instances is a horror—not the slightest bit humorous. In fact, anyone who seriously uttered the words in that first paragraph would have to be a sociopathic monster.

Which leads me to the amoral and fundamentally merciless evil oozing from the lips of some of the right wing’s most attention-seeking, blowhardy blowhards. Because, for too many of them, nothing is funnier these days than the hundreds of little girls who were kidnapped by terrorists Boko Haram in Nigeria and who face the prospect of being sold into sex slavery. In other words, these right-wingers are people who have descended beneath the gutter into the viscous sewer of inhumanity, people who have surrendered any right to claim a role in civilized society.

This appears to stem from a pathological need, on the part of some conservatives, to ridicule or oppose everything that might, even tangentially, be connected to Barack Obama. I’ve often thought that Obama should come out in favor of oxygen, just to see how many right-wingers keel over from holding their breath for too long.

This time, the obscene reaction was prompted by a hashtag. After the kidnapping of the more than 300 high-school girls on April 15 in northern Nigeria, the country’s leaders basically sat on their hands. Word spread that the children were being sold off as “wives” to some of the terrorists for just $12. Fifty-three of the girls escaped, leaving 276 still missing this month. Parents of the girls pleaded with the government to act, but eventually gave up. “They are just telling lies,’’ one of the parents said to The New York Times. So instead, the parents began their own search for the children, while begging the international community to pressure the Nigerian government to help.

On April 23, someone in Nigeria launched a campaign through social media. Using twitter, this individual sent out a message that included the hashtag #BringBackOurGirls. It was a plaintive cry, a prayer that the world would join in pressuring the Nigerian government to rescue the children.

International protests—particularly those visible on computer screens around the world—have proven to be invaluable in modern times, both for organizing campaigns and pushing to overcome injustices. As described in a research paper by Nahed Eltantawy and Julie B. Wiest who teach at High Point University in North Carolina:

New communication technologies—especially social media via the Internet— have become important resources for the mobilization of collective action and the subsequent creation, organization, and implementation of social movements around the world. The development of social media created opportunities for Web-fueled social movements, or cyberactivism, to change the landscape of collective action.

Has it worked before? Sure—social media such as tweets and blog posts have been found by researchers to have been significant in shaping the Arab Spring. Unifying world opinion can play a big role in moving governments into action or corrupt leaders into flight.

Washington joined the campaign in a big way. First, Michelle Obama posted a photograph of herself holding a sign with the hashtag #BringBackOurGirls on it, throwing the power of her prominence behind the effort to push for action by Nigeria; it became the most re-tweeted image in the entire effort. Then, she substituted for her husband on the weekly presidential radio address to speak about the Nigerian kidnappings. While such a move was not unprecedented—Laura Bush did the same thing in 2001 to denounce the treatment of women in Afghanistan—it was still rare enough to increase the attention to the plight of the girls. Plus, it had the advantage of leveling pressure on the Nigerian government with a message delivered by a powerful person who holds no legal authority, but who clearly has the ear of the president.

“This unconscionable act was committed by a terrorist group determined to keep these girls from getting an education—grown men attempting to snuff out the aspirations of young girls,’’ the First Lady said. “Many of (the parents) may have been hesitant to send their daughters off to school, fearing that harm might come their way. But they took that risk because they believed in their daughters’ promise and wanted to give them every opportunity to succeed.”

Indeed. The bravery of these families cannot be overstated. They and their daughters were willing to take the risk of going to school in a society where too many fundamentalists believe that females should be uneducated or dead. Heroic people—mothers, fathers, little girls and teenagers—all confronting potential death in order to live a better life and help their communities.

Never mind all that, though. Because it was Michelle Obama who reacted like a human being and a mother, expressing support for the families and adding her influence to the campaign. So the issue of saving the lives of people willing to confront terrorists was no longer important—at least not to some right wingers. Instead, these people turned humanity into an evil, ignorant political talking point.

One of the first to jump into the fray was a Fox News commentator. George Will—apparently unaware of the voluminous numbers of scholarly articles establishing the effectiveness of using social media to pressure government action through protest—decided to chatter about a topic he clearly knows nothing about, a habit among some conservatives I label the “just saying things” tendency. (In other words, speaking with great conviction and certainty with no rational basis or evidence to support an argument.)

Will’s point: this campaign launched by the Nigerians wasn’t about saving kids, it was about making the tweeters feel good.

“It’s an exercise in self-esteem,’’ Will said. “I don’t know how adults stand there, facing a camera, and say, ‘Bring back our girls.’ Are these barbarians in the wilds of Nigeria supposed to check their Twitter accounts and say, ‘Uh-oh, Michelle Obama is very cross with us, we better change our behavior.’ Power is the ability to achieve intended effects. And this is not intended to have any effect on the real world.”

I don’t know, maybe Will is just tired from waving his buggy whip around and struggling with his thousands of computer punch cards, but his words are so 20th century. Let me tell you, George, about this “real world” you claim to understand with your self-induced, Pecksniffian air of superiority: you actually know nothing about it. I can accept that you’ve apparently done no research on the impact of social media. I can accept that you are unaware of the number of times governments have responded to international campaigns on Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube. Hell, I can even accept your arrogance born of ignorance that’s reflected in your sneering, self-righteous blathering—after all, knowing stuff is hard, while “just saying things” is easy, and you’ve got lots of time to fill on television so know-nothingness probably goes with the territory.

But here’s what I don’t accept—the unconscionable magnitude of your obliviousness. I mean, do you honestly believe that Michelle Obama is going to hear your words and say, “Uh-oh. George Will is very cross at me. I better change my behavior.” See how stupid that sounds, George? Because, as you and I both know, you are an inconsequence whose words flutter around the White House with the same import as the final flappings of a crushed moth. No, you weren’t speaking to the First Lady, but to the vast legions of Fox News watchers whose world view has been transformed into fantasy by the half-truths and outright deceptions spewed by folks like you.

No one expects a twitter campaign to have an effect on the terrorists – did you actually think they were the intended audience of the campaign before you vomited up those words? As even the most basic millisecond of research would have told you, the intent is to pressure governments. And that has worked. So, instead of joining in an effort to save little girls, you do everything you can (and I am giving you the benefit of the doubt that you are simply uninformed rather than evil) to undermine a social media campaign without even bothering to figure out its purpose.

But Will wasn’t even close to the worst of the right-wing bloviators on this. Take Jim Hoft (for those of you not up on your third-tier conservative commentators, Hoft is a right-wing blogger whose work is regularly featured on a major national cable-news network that will go unnamed. But for ease, let’s just call it Fox News.)

Hoft, whose often writes for Human Events, engaged in an Inhuman Event after the First Lady posted her photograph with the #BringBackOurGirls hashtag. Being one of those types who can somehow find humor in slavery and child rape, Hoft took to twitter to call out Michelle Obama—or at least to elicit chuckles from the feeble enablers of hate who call themselves his readers.

This is what he said. Seriously:

“#BringBackOurBalls ➙ Sorry Libs, The Schoolgirls Have Already Been Sold, Put on Canoes & Shipped to Chad.’’

Sorry Libs? Sorry Libs? This guy thinks that an effort to pressure a government to help save children is a liberal position? Does he really think that conservatives are that depraved? I don’t—although apparently some of them are. But here’s the thing that makes this even more outrageous: Hoft considers himself a good Christian and, when he got seriously ill last year, asked his readers to pray for him. That’s right—he made kidnapping and sex slavery of children a punch line, but wanted people to appeal to God for his well-being. Perhaps when he read in the Book of Matthew, where Jesus said, “Suffer little children,” he thought it was an instruction to inflict pain on kids rather than to care for them.

That could explain his next tweet:

“So good luck bringing “our girls” back.
You’re too late.”

Then he said, “Pray that I’m wrong.” Oh, wait, no he didn’t. Which is why I won’t be surprised if Hoft, that good Christian man, has a spot reserved for him in hell.

Let’s have a moment’s break. I’m sure more than a few of you have gagged on reading these conservative comments. Take a breath, clean yourself up, and when you’re up to it, keep reading.

Ready? Let’s continue.

Now, there’s Rush Limbaugh. Strangely—given his long history of trying to be the one of the more outrageous right-wing commentators—what he had to say wasn’t quite so terrible as the comments from other Republicans. There were no jokes, at least. But like the others, Limbaugh entered into a fact-free zone, belittling people who were doing things that not only have been proven to work but were working, solely so he could try to score some political points with his ditto-heads.

“Is that not pathetic?” Limbaugh said of the twitter campaign. “I want to ask you, what message does this send? And then I want to ask you, is the United States really this powerless? And then if you answer yes, we are really this powerless, then isn’t Obama to blame?”

Look at that—hop, skip, jump, OBAMA IS WEAK! This is like Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon, except Kevin Bacon is an “OBAMA DESTROYS AMERICA” punch line. Of course, Limbaugh also attacked the people who had, you know, read things about the effectiveness of social-media campaigns against African and Middle Eastern governments, by calling them “the low information crowd.” That is the key to “just saying things”: know nothing about what you’re discussing, but then belittle the people who have actually done the research on a topic because, you know, reading is just elitist or something.

Finally, and most reluctantly, I get to that woman who seems to only exist for the attention she can generate for herself: the wonderfully unsettling Ann Coulter. Now, life has been rough for Coulter of late—she just doesn’t seem to be making the waves she used to. Hannity, Breitbart (even posthumously), Limbaugh and the rest of the rogues gallery sop up the spotlight, leaving Coulter not quite the powerhouse she once was. So, when the opportunity came along to create outrage—the only thing that Coulter contributes to political discourse, since it brings attention to herself—she jumped right on it. In a joke belittling the #BringBackOurGirls campaign, Coulter tweeted out a picture of herself scowling, while holding a sign that said #BringBackOurCountry.

A side note—this is one of those other yuck-yucks that seems to kill it at the Conservative Political Action Conference: whenever a Democrat is president, America is no longer “our” country. It is the ultimate conceit of conservatives: that more than half of American voters don’t make up more than half of our country.

So, Coulter thought it would be a stitch to use her fame—as fading as it is—to join in belittling international efforts begun by Nigerians to push their government to take action to save hundreds of little girls. Hahaha. Did I mention that Coulter also professes to be a follower of Christianity? I always wonder what these folks think Jesus was talking about.

Now, Coulter clearly didn’t understand the power of Twitter, when she sent out her gruesome little photograph: unlike the others, who simply recited or blogged their ass-hattery, she gave the entire world the power to make fun of her through the joy of Photoshop and re-tweeting. So, in no time, untold numbers of new photos of Coulter shot out onto Twitter by folks who decided to change her message. The sign now said things like, “I’m a miserable person who peddles hate to make money off dumb Republicans,” and, “Please pay attention to me L,” and, “#BringBackMySoul,” and “DrowninginPrivilege.” Well-traveled Web sites took note of the thrashing Coulter was taking online; for example, E! wrote a story headlined “Ann Coulter Inadvertently Turned Herself into a Joke After Mocking #BringBackOurGirls Campaign.”

But, hey, that helped Coulter get more attention, which was probably the goal in the first place. She appeared on Fox News (notice how they keep coming up in this?) to double down, proclaiming that the tweeting campaign started by Nigerians to put international pressure on their government was “pathetic,” and added, “How about Michelle Obama have “hashtag I’m married to an idiot.’”

Hahaha. Now, could you talk about this horrible situation and the children whose lives are in danger without making jokes about it?

Apparently not.

I can’t explain this kind of cruel inhumanity. Are people really so desperate for attention and ratings that they are willing to sacrifice little children on the altar of cruelty? I don’t know. But here’s what I can say: for any of you conservatives who chuckled along with these despicable uses of horror for political points or humor, think about it for a moment. And if you, like too many of these windbags, profess your religiosity, you know what to do: fall on your knees and beg for forgiveness.
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Cindy
IAC Addict!

Re: At The Edge Of Humanity

Post by Cindy » Sat May 17, 2014 10:57 am

A lot of news stories can be difficult to relate to, and easy to abstract-ify. This is not one of those news stories. It takes about 2 seconds for a human parent to imagine it. My Ruthie . . . kidnapped and sold as a sex slave. How could you feel anything except instant outrage and compassion?

Unless there's something seriously wrong with both your head and your heart. Those are big names in that article, and they have big audiences. Frightening.

Cindy
“No one can tell what goes on in between the person you were and the person you become. No one can chart that blue and lonely section of hell. There are no maps of the change. You just come out the other side.
Or you don't.” ― Stephen King, The Stand

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun May 18, 2014 3:18 pm

Cindy wrote:A lot of news stories can be difficult to relate to, and easy to abstract-ify. This is not one of those news stories. It takes about 2 seconds for a human parent to imagine it. My Ruthie . . . kidnapped and sold as a sex slave. How could you feel anything except instant outrage and compassion?

Unless there's something seriously wrong with both your head and your heart. Those are big names in that article, and they have big audiences. Frightening.

Cindy
I used to give George Will as much space as possible, I need an articulate person to explain the conservative philosophy and I need a good debate from the Republican camp regarding the large issues that face us. George Will, sometimes Charles Krauthammer, olde William Buckley even, but now? Who remains in the Republican universe who is bright, human, and offers a solid argument?

The situation remains untenable. There are millions of people in the local Nigerian area who do not want to involve themselves because the repercussions would be severe, the cultural realities they live under demand that they be "circumspect" and for once, we have a reason to engage.
Colin

Spezialist

Post by Spezialist » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:37 pm

What you need to realize is The religious right is controlled by biblical literalist thought. It is not your average Christian belief system. They literally believe they are at War with Evil in the biblical sense, collateral damages are to be expected. It's not a joke people, they are very serious. And they are winning because they have the moral high ground in their eyes. They feed off of the persecution of their own faults.

Self fulfilling prophecy in my opinion.
Just keep ignoring the canaries in the coal mine as mere trolls or just a rants personality.

JLT
Old School!

Post by JLT » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:39 am

Spezialist wrote:What you need to realize is The religious right is controlled by biblical literalist thought. It is not your average Christian belief system. They literally believe they are at War with Evil in the biblical sense, collateral damages are to be expected. It's not a joke people, they are very serious. And they are winning because they have the moral high ground in their eyes. They feed off of the persecution of their own faults.
Change the word "Christian" to "Muslim" and you've put your finger on much of the motivations of radical Islam. Which is why they routinely ignore the very explicit condemnations in the Quran of involving non-combatants and children in their war, and justifying theft when it suits a "holy purpose."

I suppose that's true of fundamentalist religions everywhere. Damn.
-- JLT
Sacramento CA

Present bus: '71 Dormobile Westie "George"
(sometimes towing a '65 Allstate single-wheel trailer)
Former buses: '61 17-window Deluxe "Pink Bus"
'70 Frankenwestie "Blunder Bus"
'71 Frankenwestie "Thunder Bus"

Spezialist

Post by Spezialist » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:59 pm

JLT wrote:
Spezialist wrote:What you need to realize is The religious right is controlled by biblical literalist thought. It is not your average Christian belief system. They literally believe they are at War with Evil in the biblical sense, collateral damages are to be expected. It's not a joke people, they are very serious. And they are winning because they have the moral high ground in their eyes. They feed off of the persecution of their own faults.
Change the word "Christian" to "Muslim" and you've put your finger on much of the motivations of radical Islam. Which is why they routinely ignore the very explicit condemnations in the Quran of involving non-combatants and children in their war, and justifying theft when it suits a "holy purpose."

I suppose that's true of fundamentalist religions everywhere. Damn.
As far as I know there are three religions in the world that are historically tied to each other and colonialism.
On a separated note, I asked a guy that appeared to me a fundamentalist. I asked if he was "one", his reply was "I am a biblical litteralist" to him there is a distinction.

hippiewannabe
Old School!

Post by hippiewannabe » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:42 pm

None of the right-wingers are laughing about child slavery. They are simply mocking those that think jihadis can be reasoned with or that social media will help in any way. It is the height of anti-Christian bigotry to equate modern Christian fundamentalists with radical Muslims. Western Christianity was guilty, but got over its genocidal holy wars centuries ago. Christians think those that don't believe what they do won't get to heaven, but they don't think they'll get to heaven by beheading those who disagree with them.

It's a war. We didn't start it, and it won't end by being passive. Those girls were kidnapped by evil men who need to be stopped by force, not social media.
Truth is like poetry.
And most people fucking hate poetry.

Spezialist

Post by Spezialist » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:27 am

hippiewannabe wrote:None of the right-wingers are laughing about child slavery. They are simply mocking those that think jihadis can be reasoned with or that social media will help in any way. It is the height of anti-Christian bigotry to equate modern Christian fundamentalists with radical Muslims. Western Christianity was guilty, but got over its genocidal holy wars centuries ago. Christians think those that don't believe what they do won't get to heaven, but they don't think they'll get to heaven by beheading those who disagree with them.

It's a war. We didn't start it, and it won't end by being passive. Those girls were kidnapped by evil men who need to be stopped by force, not social media.
Christian Discovery Doctrine is still in effect.

hippiewannabe
Old School!

Post by hippiewannabe » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:09 am

Spezialist wrote:
hippiewannabe wrote:None of the right-wingers are laughing about child slavery. They are simply mocking those that think jihadis can be reasoned with or that social media will help in any way. It is the height of anti-Christian bigotry to equate modern Christian fundamentalists with radical Muslims. Western Christianity was guilty, but got over its genocidal holy wars centuries ago. Christians think those that don't believe what they do won't get to heaven, but they don't think they'll get to heaven by beheading those who disagree with them.

You mean Muslim Discovery Doctrine. Drive out, slaughter or enslave the non-Sunnis, and take over their land and homes. It wasn't cool when the Europeans did it, but a couple of centuries on we should know better.
Truth is like poetry.

Spezialist

Post by Spezialist » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:11 am

hippiewannabe wrote:
Spezialist wrote:

You mean Muslim Discovery Doctrine. Drive out, slaughter or enslave the non-Sunnis, and take over their land and homes. It wasn't cool when the Europeans did it, but a couple of centuries on we should know better.
No I don't mean what you said. We all speak from our own experience.

hippiewannabe
Old School!

Post by hippiewannabe » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:15 am

Spezialist wrote:
hippiewannabe wrote:
Spezialist wrote:

Yes, I know, half of your ancestors were abused by the other half. It's over and isn't going to be undone. Your attempts to point fingers of atrocity blame at certain races and religions based on history are nonsensical. Each one of us has within our DNA the capacity to perpetrate all the evils that have ever been done by humans to other humans. All we can do is be vigilant today and try to stop it when we can.
Truth is like poetry.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:08 pm

hippiewannabe wrote: Each one of us has within our DNA the capacity to perpetrate all the evils that have ever been done by humans to other humans. All we can do is be vigilant today and try to stop it when we can.
=D>

Spezialist

Post by Spezialist » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:40 pm

hippiewannabe wrote:
Spezialist wrote:
hippiewannabe wrote:
Spezialist wrote:

Yes, I know, half of your ancestors were abused by the other half. It's over and isn't going to be undone. Your attempts to point fingers of atrocity blame at certain races and religions based on history are nonsensical. Each one of us has within our DNA the capacity to perpetrate all the evils that have ever been done by humans to other humans. All we can do is be vigilant today and try to stop it when we can.
So being vigilant in your book is to accuse me of racism, bigotry and being a half breed. WOW way to keep up the persecution. And the half truth is applauded by the site owner. Some real Eurocentric privilege up in here.
Speechless.

hippiewannabe
Old School!

Post by hippiewannabe » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:29 pm

Spezialist wrote:
hippiewannabe wrote:
Spezialist wrote:
hippiewannabe wrote:
Spezialist wrote:

So being vigilant in your book is to accuse me of racism, bigotry and being a half breed. WOW way to keep up the persecution. And the half truth is applauded by the site owner. Some real Eurocentric privilege up in here.
Speechless.
LOL

Your racism and bigotry are self evident. The half and half comment was based on what I remember of your claims of being descended from the Asians of African decent who crossed the Bering Straight to North America on part of your family tree, and the other part coming from Africa to North America by way of Europe. Regardless of the percentages of those two possibilities, the point is we are all genetically identical; skin color and facial features are trivial. The Holocaust, the Rwandan genocide, the genocidal wars between the First Americans, and the atrocities visited on First Americans by Europeans all sprout from the same gene pool. The vigilance is about calling out and stopping the atrocities when we can. We could have saved a million Rwandans with a division of Marines, and we should have done so. Now we can save tens of thousands of religious minorities in the Middle East, and we should do it. One thing we can't do is time travel and stop past evils. Learn from history, but get over it already.
Truth is like poetry.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:14 am

Spezialist wrote: So being vigilant in your book is to accuse me of racism, bigotry and being a half breed. WOW way to keep up the persecution. And the half truth is applauded by the site owner. Some real Eurocentric privilege up in here.
Speechless.
"So being vigilant in your book is to accuse me of racism, bigotry and being a half breed."
WHAT? How did you make this amazing leap to All About Yourself??

To grab, to clutch, to pre-emptively interpret these general ideas as an attack on *you* is typical tedious narcissistic hysteria from the Persecution Complex People (they come from all races ethnicities genders etc), and I do not have time to apologize to you for perceived slights not actually delivered.
Colin
(I could claim that I am a minority, Native American 25%, but I prefer to claim that I am a human being and leave it at that)