Senate Candidates: Federal Judges Must Follow Biblical

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Senate Candidates: Federal Judges Must Follow Biblical

Post by Bleyseng » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:51 am

"Three out of four Iowa Republican candidates for U.S. Senate said Friday they would block any federal judge appointee who did not have a “biblical view of justice” or follow “natural law” as handed down from God.
The discussion came up at a forum hosted by The Family Leader, an organization that lavished money on a 2010 campaign to oust the Iowa justices who ruled that marriage equality was required by Iowa’s constitution.
When asked by moderator and right-wing commentator Erick Erickson what criteria they would use in confirming federal judges, the candidates tried to one-up each other to emphasize the importance of Biblical law. Sam Clovis, who recently asserted that Obama remains in office solely because Republicans are afraid of impeaching a black president, said any judicial nominees must be able to “explain to me natural law and natural rights.” Matt Whitaker went even farther, specifying that judges must be “people of the faith” with “a biblical view of justice.” State Sen. Joni Ernst stressed that judges must have an “understanding where the Constitution came from and our laws, and they all did come from God.”
"“Biblical law” is often used as a code for opposition to marriage equality among social conservatives, and to promote a patriarchal family structure with one man and one woman.
Despite the Republican Party’s efforts to reach out to a more moderate audience, this year’s crop of Republican primary candidates nationwide seem to be competing to hold the most extreme views. All of the GOP Senate candidates in North Carolina and Colorado have denied climate change exists. Georgia’s Senate race has also been characterized by candidates refusing to support any bill that does not fit “Judeo-Christian Biblical principles,” creationists denying evolution, and multiple calls to impeach President Obama."

http://thinkprogress.org/election/2014/ ... lical-law/

I don't get it or is something like gamma rays from a Alien spaceship being aimed at North America turning GOP people's brains to mush?
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Re: Senate Candidates: Federal Judges Must Follow Biblical

Post by asiab3 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:05 pm

This is dissapointing. I keep wishing for a strong moderate GOP candidate to mix up my generation's straight-party-ticket voting. Do candidates like these know that many Americans (who vote) don't share their beliefs?
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:21 pm

I have read several analyses that point out how this works (some covered Romney as an example); in order to win their primary, Rep/Dems have to appeal to the most vocal/engaged voters... those are typically the most extreme. Once that's achieved, the candidate attempts to move to the center in order to appeal to a broader swath of voters. I suspect it only works where the larger voting group is demonstrably on one side or the other (i.e. blue state vs. red state). It doesn't work this way all the time, I'm sure, but often enough now to suggest there is some truth to this analysis.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:21 pm

Lanval wrote:I have read several analyses that point out how this works (some covered Romney as an example); in order to win their primary, Rep/Dems have to appeal to the most vocal/engaged voters... those are typically the most extreme. Once that's achieved, the candidate attempts to move to the center in order to appeal to a broader swath of voters. I suspect it only works where the larger voting group is demonstrably on one side or the other (i.e. blue state vs. red state). It doesn't work this way all the time, I'm sure, but often enough now to suggest there is some truth to this analysis.
I purchased a copy of the Washington Post and the Washington Times today.

The Washington Post is no longer a proud muckraking paper, the articles were more of a gossipy dish on who is up and who is down in the polls with no discussion of the issues.
The Washington Times is a hate rag against Obama with an editorial page, a commentary section and an entire section called "Energy and Environment - politics and policy" and it is eight pages of full commentary from
Chuck Grassley R IA
Steve King R IA
John Hoeven R ND
David Vitter R LA
Jim Inhofe R OK
and I can't help but think out in the conservative backwaters, the Koch brothers have financed this blanketing of the media space just like they have contributed millions! to conservative radio talk shows.

The Democrats are utter cowards, Obama is a coward, how else can they wrest defeat from the jaws of victory so convincingly that the Republicans are crowing in this paper about how "unpopular" Obama is, how the Democrats are running scared, and yet, Obama has higher approval numbers than any Republican, the Democrats are ten points ahead of their colleagues in Congress, the policy positions of the Democrats are way more popular than the Republicans, the women's vote is firmly in the Democrat column, what is going on here? Why are Democrats so strangely unable to support their principles and policies? Because they are afraid of alienating their corporate backers? Disgusting.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Spezialist

Post by Spezialist » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:45 pm

Don't think this ideaology is going away anytime soon.