Allergies

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Allergies

Post by hambone » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:59 pm

Man they hit me hard, after 1,000 sneezes yesterday I have been in bed for hours. How are the rest of you bastards doing out there?
Plant sex sucks. :flower: It is green and very colorful out the window, but so very deadly. What gives with allergies? Why does a body want to destroy itself?
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Re: Allergies

Post by Westy78 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:31 pm

Haven't hit me yet. It's usually when the Cotton Wood starts flying when I want to scratch my eyes out. Last couple years hasn't been too bad so I'm hoping the trend continues. I've heard and read that if you eat local honey that it can help alleviate some allergy symptoms. Helps build up the tolerance to all the local plant allergens I guess.
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:20 pm

hambone wrote:What gives with allergies? Why does a body want to destroy itself?
Never understood that, particularly the more dire auto-immune disorders.

I beg people I have known who are sufering from having their own bodies eat them alive, can't you TALK to your body or something?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

satchmo
Old School!

Post by satchmo » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:38 pm

There is a nasal steroid spray available now over the counter - Nasonex, I think. Gotta use it EVERY day for it to be helpful though. Also consider Benadryl at night and Claritin/Zyrtec/Allegra in the morning.

I typically give patients like you a shot of Kenalog (a steroid/cortisone medication) which causes the immune system to stand down for a while; typically 6-12 weeks. Works pretty well and there aren't much in the way of side effects. Ask your doctor.

Good luck. It's terrible to be miserable during what is the nicest time of the year.

Tim

This information not to be used in place of your doctor's advice. Medications discussed may cause drowsiness, bloating, flatulence, constipation, diarrhea and slurred speech. Do not operate machinery after taking medication. Do not talk argue with your spouse, criticize your children, call your lawyer, or purchase cars or other property after taking medication. If you experience double vision, swollen tongue, stuttering, and barking like a dog, stop your medication and call your doctor, as these symptoms may indicate an adverse reaction to your medication. Author of this message claims no responsibility if you follow the advice contained in this message and subsequently wake up in the year 2024.
By three methods we may learn wisdom:
First, by reflection, which is noblest;
second, by immitation, which is easiest;
and third, by experience, which is bitterest. -Confucius

Cindy
IAC Addict!

Post by Cindy » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:44 am

Because I'm allergic to my cat, I feel like this all year long and it only gets worse in the spring. I developed allergies at age 26, mysteriously.

Cindy
“No one can tell what goes on in between the person you were and the person you become. No one can chart that blue and lonely section of hell. There are no maps of the change. You just come out the other side.
Or you don't.” ― Stephen King, The Stand

hippiewannabe
Old School!

Post by hippiewannabe » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:00 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
hambone wrote:What gives with allergies? Why does a body want to destroy itself?
Never understood that, particularly the more dire auto-immune disorders.

I beg people I have known who are sufering from having their own bodies eat them alive, can't you TALK to your body or something?
Colin
There is a theory that our immune systems evolved to fight a continuous large-scale war against attackers, when we were lucky to reach age forty. Now that we live in a far more sterile environment, our immune system doesn't have enough to do, and turns on its own body. I guy in Britain traveled to Cameroon to infect himself with hookworm, and it cured his asthma by restoring the old balance of power. Now you can get hookworm by mail-order and save the trouble of a trip to Africa.

The snow has barely melted, and my allergies are already kicking in.
Truth is like poetry.
And most people fucking hate poetry.