We've Lost A Good One . . .

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

We've Lost A Good One . . .

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:02 am

We have lost Nelson Mandela, yet another human being in the short line of human beings who have helped to show us the way.

His quote, "resentment is like a poison that we drink hoping to kill our enemies," still sticks in my craw of carefully nurtured resentments.

I don't know that 27 years of incarceration would not have broken my spirit like a twig, but I am glad to be on the same planet as he was, happy to sidle up alongside him to declare, "I too am a human being."
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

JLT
Old School!

Re: We've Lost A Good One . . .

Post by JLT » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:08 am

I agree. We've lost not only one of the great modern historical figures, but one of the greatest historical figures, period. AFAIK, there has never been a transformation of a government that was so sweeping that was also mostly non-violent.

South Africa, unfortunately, has had some tough times recently with government corruption and Mandela's dream is not entirely realized. But it was always unrealistic to assume that only twenty years would be necessary to undo hundreds of years of oppression. But if Mandela's life proved anything, it was that change was possible and, if the nation keeps its eye on the prize, it is still possible.
-- JLT
Sacramento CA

Present bus: '71 Dormobile Westie "George"
(sometimes towing a '65 Allstate single-wheel trailer)
Former buses: '61 17-window Deluxe "Pink Bus"
'70 Frankenwestie "Blunder Bus"
'71 Frankenwestie "Thunder Bus"

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:42 pm

JLT wrote:I agree. We've lost not only one of the great modern historical figures, but one of the greatest historical figures, period. AFAIK, there has never been a transformation of a government that was so sweeping that was also mostly non-violent.

South Africa, unfortunately, has had some tough times recently with government corruption and Mandela's dream is not entirely realized. But it was always unrealistic to assume that only twenty years would be necessary to undo hundreds of years of oppression. But if Mandela's life proved anything, it was that change was possible and, if the nation keeps its eye on the prize, it is still possible.
Corruption. Let's define it for the ages and modern time. Distill it to the essential need underneath. What was/is/shall be "corruption"?
Will we ever evolve past it?
ColinjustnowWindows/SoftwareDistribution/eventlog corruptedtoo

hippiewannabe
Old School!

Post by hippiewannabe » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:08 pm

Freedom is not free. Mandela certainly paid his share.

The irony is there are a thousand Mandelas we shall never know, because they were quickly, quietly, and ruthlessly killed by Hitler, Stalin, Kim Jong Un, et al.

Credit F. W. de Klerk as much as Mandela for ending apartheid, similar to crediting Gorbachev as much as Reagan for ending Soviet communism.

Truth is like poetry.
And most people fucking hate poetry.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:18 pm

hippiewannabe wrote: Credit F. W. de Klerk as much as Mandela for ending apartheid, similar to crediting Gorbachev as much as Reagan for ending Soviet communism.

Scary picture. Now what do we do, Dennis Rodman?
Colin