Price Fixing in the Auto Parts Industry

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Price Fixing in the Auto Parts Industry

Post by Lanval » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:56 am

I saw this, and can't decide whether I'm surprised by it or not. Probably didn't affect us though...

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/09/ ... TE20130926

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Price Fixing in the Auto Parts Industry

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:47 am

Lanval wrote:I saw this, and can't decide whether I'm surprised by it or not. Probably didn't affect us though...

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/09/ ... TE20130926
It affects all of us through raising the price floor and redefining "normal" or "usual".

I personally am curious why there is rampant inflation in our auto parts stores, particularly paints. Duplicolor used to cost $3.97 for a 14 oz can. Now they have 7 oz touch-ups for $6.97.

The most insidious "fixing" is the manipulation of quantity in packaging.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/29/busin ... d=all&_r=0
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:03 pm

okay - know this is ancient news, but i just came across this thread.... the parts they talk about are to supply the OEM's for production cars; not the parts we buy at Oreilly's, Autozone, your local FLAPs or their ilk. Don't get me wrong, by no means am I defending - just want to be sure your anger and frustration is directed correctly. ;)
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:53 pm

TrollFromDownBelow wrote:okay - know this is ancient news, but i just came across this thread.... the parts they talk about are to supply the OEM's for production cars; not the parts we buy at Oreilly's, Autozone, your local FLAPs or their ilk. Don't get me wrong, by no means am I defending - just want to be sure your anger and frustration is directed correctly. ;)
To the original topic:
"Probably didn't affect us though..." said Lanval.
"It affects all of us through raising the price floor and redefining 'normal' or 'usual'," said Colin.

Then Thread Drift I:
"I personally am curious why there is rampant inflation in our auto parts stores," said Colin
. . . and now that Dupicolor paints are coming in at $7.13 here in New York, I am still angered and frustrated and it is directed at the corporations who are runamok "extracting" from the American consumer. Correctly, I might add.

Mike, who is the manufacturer of headlamp cover plastic and why is it becoming so opaque so quickly on all cars? Mercedes! BMW! Honda! Ford! Headlamps get hidden under yellow fogged crap.
So why does my 22 year-old Lexus have perfectly crystal clear *plastic" lenses over the big side lenses right next to the headlamps? Why are the "luxury" car manufacturers buying such obvious evidence of poor quality? Any idea?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:22 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Mike, who is the manufacturer of headlamp cover plastic and why is it becoming so opaque so quickly on all[/b cars? Mercedes! BMW! Honda! Ford! Headlamps get hidden under yellow fogged crap.
So why does my 22 year-old Lexus have perfectly crystal clear *plastic" lenses over the big side lenses right next to the headlamps? Why are the "luxury" car manufacturers buying such obvious evidence of poor quality? Any idea?
Colin

My E39 plastic headlamps are hazy, but not yellow - I suspect that is from 150k miles of sand/road dirt/etc. Yes, agree the yellowishness is a curse. Although the glass headlamps on my daughters plane jane '95 Pontiac Bonneville are still perfectly clear. :flower: Even though glass limits the shape, I sure do like how they stay nice and clear over the years.

I know who builds airbags, seatbelts, seats/interiors, rear ends, wiring harnesses, but not so much headlamps.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::