What's the difference

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

RussellK
IAC Addict!

What's the difference

Post by RussellK » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:49 am

Why is it a regime can bomb the fuck out of it's population and we just shake our heads.....but they use a chemical weapon and we get all pumped up with outrage. What the hell. A shrapnel wound is pretty damned nasty. Dead by gas or dead by bullet is dead by either definition

zabo
Old School!

Re: Why the difference

Post by zabo » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:20 am

Cause we can't defend as well against Chem attacks plus I think they are just looking for an excuse to get in there.

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/35 ... ling-beard
60 beetle
78 bus

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:31 pm

After WW1 in which chemical warfare was used the Nations of the World declared it "a crime against humanity" outlawing it. There really isn't any way to defend of protect against it.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

yondermtn
Old School!

Post by yondermtn » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:51 pm

What's next? Outlawing conventional weapons?
1977 Westy 2.0FI
1990 Vanagon MV 2.1 Auto

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:58 pm

Eight million soldiers, including more than 50,000 Americans died. An estimated 12 million civilians died. German's losses 1,700,000 killed and over 4,200,000 wounded. France had 1,300,000 deaths and over 4,200,000 wounded.

The estimated total number of people killed during WW1 (including civilians) was 20 million.
Not sure how many died from Gas but it was a lot, even my Grandfather was gased but was lucky and survived it.

Those staggering numbers prompted countries to adopt "warfare rules" ie the Geneva Convention so if a country violates those rules all bets are off. The German leaders and Japanese thought that they were immune to criminal charges since they were a countries leaders but not so and were dragged in the World Court.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:54 am

War sure makes for some strange rationalization. We can kill you so long as we make noise doing it.

hippiewannabe
Old School!

Post by hippiewannabe » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:23 pm

True, dead is dead. But there is a difference in the indiscriminate nature of gas; it will kill a kid a long way away from any military objective you are shooting at, much more so than high explosives. And the suffering does seem to be worse.

Blame GWB if you like, but for whatever reason, it seems the world no longer wants to follow Pax Americana. Fine. Let someone else stop Assad from murdering his own people with nerve gas.
Truth is like poetry.
And most people fucking hate poetry.

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:24 am

image.jpg
image.jpg (53.27 KiB) Viewed 3445 times
Are you saying that the world does not want to follow leadership represented by this guy? I just don't understand...

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:34 pm

"Evil begats evil, Mr. President. Shooting will only make it stronger."

But yes, another war crime to punish a possible war crime. (double negative, I know, war=crime)

Death is death, brought to you by death.

Those mean little gas bombs! So indiscriminate! Our missiles are so accurate, they only kill a few "innocents" each time. And we all know a 100 innocents killed at once is muchmuchmuch worse than 1000 killed in "separate" attacks.

Oh and by the way? We're broke. And by we, I mean you. I mean I still have a metric fuckload of money for missiles, and my buddy has 5 helipads on his yacht, but your account is overdrawn, gonna need that payment....
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:40 pm

Jivermo wrote: Are you saying that the world does not want to follow leadership represented by this guy? I just don't understand...
Doesn't the President of the United States of America have someone he can get to carry his flight helmet for him?
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:11 pm

DjEep wrote:"Evil begats evil, Mr. President. Shooting will only make it stronger."

But yes, another war crime to punish a possible war crime. (double negative, I know, war=crime)

Death is death, brought to you by death.

Those mean little gas bombs! So indiscriminate! Our missiles are so accurate, they only kill a few "innocents" each time. And we all know a 100 innocents killed at once is muchmuchmuch worse than 1000 killed in "separate" attacks.

Oh and by the way? We're broke. And by we, I mean you. I mean I still have a metric fuckload of money for missiles, and my buddy has 5 helipads on his yacht, but your account is overdrawn, gonna need that payment....
=D> =D>
Keep it up. We need the likes of you.
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles