Chunky Meteorologist

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

drober23
Addicted!

Chunky Meteorologist

Post by drober23 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:19 am

I am traveling (again) for work, and find myself in Peoria, Illinois. The hotel had the local news on in the lobby this morning. The weather was playing, and I noticed the meteorologist ("weather girl") was definitely plus-sized. I quickly raced through my memory banks and can never remember any weather presenter on any television station I ever watched being significantly overweight.

I smiled! I found it refreshing to not see the same face/body on the screen looking at me. We put an awful lot of body-image pressure on our kids, especially girls. Most of it is completely unnecessary. It was nice to see a counter-example to this.
DJ

'75 Westfalia, '79 Deluxe
(plus more busses than sense)

In a time of chimpanzees I was a monkey

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Re: Chunky Meteorologist

Post by airkooledchris » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:36 am

My favorite meteorologist from Madison Wisconsin growing up, who is still there and gaining in girth every year:

Gary Cannalte

great guy, always come off really natural in front of the camera. it's nice to get the news/weather from someone who's first/top quality was skill in their profession and not the trend of late to use eye candy first

1979 California Transporter

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:19 am

...........and for the weekend we'll be seeing a light sprinkling of Botox

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:38 pm

airkooledchris wrote:

Im seeing a trend there.
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

yondermtn
Old School!

Post by yondermtn » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:12 am

What about Al Roker?
1977 Westy 2.0FI
1990 Vanagon MV 2.1 Auto

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:28 pm

Although it is nice that its equal opportunity for fat people its a shame that its accepted that people are fat for children's "body image". I disagree, it should be encouraged for everyone to stay healthy and keep the extra pounds off for health reasons. I am 61 years old and all of my high school friends are fat and struggling with health problems! I am the only one who is in decent shape cuz I watch what I eat and exercise but that doesn't mean I don't eat Voodoo doughnuts or Cupcake Jones....
Americans are fat! Travel around the world some and you'll see we are way over weight compared to the rest of the world and we rely on the "pills" to control our high blood pressure and other problems.

So yeah, I rather see a "eye candy" woman who works to stay in shape and eats right than a "fattie" on the TV to influence the "body image" of our children.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

Spezialist

Post by Spezialist » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:50 am

It's so sad, that the boxed products are considered food.
There was a thread a while back blaming heavy people for the destruction of the biosphere.
Famine foods are in every culture, but in America they are worshiped because they are so profitable and cheap.

Look at potatoes, makes a cheap chip, causes systematic and chronic inflammation in the body.
And to boot, supplies you with more calorie/carbs per meal then you can burn until your next meal, no matter how much you exercise.

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:07 am

I am still wondering if the weather prediction was indeed accurate.
79 VW Bus

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Post by whc03grady » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:21 am

Growing up in Nebraska the weatherperson was always some dude, kind of a high school teacher type. Sometimes chunky. When we lived in SoCal for two years I noticed the weatherperson was always some eye candy blonde.
Upon reflection, I think it's that when you live where there is actual, you know, weather, you want someone you can trust, who at least seems learned, delivering the forecast. When you live where there isn't actual weather, e.g. SoCal, the weatherperson can be an upturned mop with a bucket for a head, for all it matters. So they put some eye candy on there to grab a few viewers.
Ludwig--1974 Westfalia, 2.0L (GD035193), Solex 34PDSIT-2/3 carburetors.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).
Read about their adventures:
http://www.ludwigandgertie.blogspot.com

hippiewannabe
Old School!

Post by hippiewannabe » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:22 pm

whc03grady wrote:Growing up in Nebraska the weatherperson was always some dude, kind of a high school teacher type. Sometimes chunky. When we lived in SoCal for two years I noticed the weatherperson was always some eye candy blonde.
Upon reflection, I think it's that when you live where there is actual, you know, weather, you want someone you can trust, who at least seems learned, delivering the forecast. When you live where there isn't actual weather, e.g. SoCal, the weatherperson can be an upturned mop with a bucket for a head, for all it matters. So they put some eye candy on there to grab a few viewers.
This makes sense when you recognize the job of television talent is to attract viewers to absorb advertising. Nothing more, nothing less. Whether that is accomplished by being a skilled meteorologist or eye candy, the advertisers don't care.
Truth is like poetry.
And most people fucking hate poetry.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:08 am

hippiewannabe wrote:
(edited for brevity)
the job of talent is to attract viewers to absorb advertising.
Nothing more.
Is this is the goal the endgame the purpose the be-all end-all of corporatism?
I read the corporate charter and that appears to be it . . . nothing more.
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles