Elites and the Educational System

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Elites and the Educational System

Post by Lanval » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:13 pm

I liked this piece, as it's something I've seen firsthand here in California. Essentially the wealthy are shutting down the UC system as a public enterprise. It will shortly be near impossible for someone not wealthy to go to the UC, OR graduate with a crushing debt that effectively ends productivity and creates a new-model wage slave.

Here's the piece:

http://www.salon.com/2012/01/13/america ... ved_elite/

ml

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Elites and the Educational System

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:51 pm

Lanval wrote:I liked this piece, as it's something I've seen firsthand here in California. Essentially the wealthy are shutting down the UC system as a public enterprise. It will shortly be near impossible for someone not wealthy to go to the UC, OR graduate with a crushing debt that effectively ends productivity and creates a new-model wage slave.

Here's the piece:

http://www.salon.com/2012/01/13/america ... ved_elite/

ml
We have to save the Republic! Now how?
ColinUCLA@ave$434.00/per qtr 1984-87
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:15 pm

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." We'll see if this country's got the guts for it. I'm guessing the answer is no.

edit: I deleted a much longer post, which was more political rambling than anything else. More succinctly: For change to occur, the bulk of the people will have to see what's happening, and be willing to do something about it. Protest, fight back, the 60's thing. I don't think the people today have the will or the desire. If starts, though, I'll definitely support meaningful protest and reform. I'm starting to write letters to my reps (Congress and Senate); at least let 'em hear what I think. I'll start there.

ML

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:08 am

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

but not his own blood, of course !!...and im sure youre not volunteering yourself to the front lines of distant land to protect the interests of say, Halliburton-Exxon-Monsanto ?
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:25 pm

Lanval wrote:"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." We'll see if this country's got the guts for it. I'm guessing the answer is no.
ML
I'm guessing that there will be a calculus that is reached when the discomfort of the status-quo exceeds the discomfort of taking to the streets.

The status-quo, dingo, is the blood shed on behalf of Halliburton et al, by our volunteer military where many of our service members joined to further their dreams thwarted by lack of opportunity in their civilian lives.
Colin

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:24 am

I do see a movement of protests in the Southern and other states where the GOP has passed bills to restrict Voter Rights, Abortion Right etc. The GOP seems hell bent on shooting itself in the foot with bills that incite people to respond. It will be interesting to see how the next round of elections turns out and if the GOP can hold onto its grip. I think voters are finally waking up to see that the mantra " We need a smaller Government" is a GOP joke as they pass more and more bills that remove citizens rights and cost money. People want Obamacare yet several States are refusing to take the steps so it can be implemented just "because its wrong".
The amount of money spend on ADS might finally have reached the point of pointless as the internet is where the voter information is found. Yes, yes lots of people only read blogs and news that backs their views (right or left) but I am talking about the Swing voters who really decide elections.
As for the educational system, here in Washington the courts found that the legislature hadn't fully funded the system (budget cuts every year for the last 5 years) and ordered them to fund the system an extra Billion dollars. The teachers I know are mad that again they didn't receive a pay raise but I reminded them at least they have a good job with good benefits vs working at Walmart. The private school teachers I know again received a pay raise and wouldn't go back to working in public schools.
Something is broken here and access to higher education for our children reasonable cost and needs to be addressed ASAP. If not, who will run the show around here, Jack in the Box jockeys? I can't wait to see them run the power plants and space program. I have seen the uneducated run the show in Suriname and its amazing how fast a country can fall apart with dummies running the show. These elite will have no place to run and hide when everything falls apart.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:25 pm

Bleyseng wrote:its amazing how fast a country can fall apart with dummies running the show. These elite will have no place to run and hide when everything falls apart.
I don't WANT dummies running our show . . . . :binky: