Beer!

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Beer!

Post by DjEep » Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:39 pm

To avoid straying off topic in another thread, I'm starting the "Beer" thread, for topics involving (arguably) the most important lubricant in the shop, Beer! Got to keep your mechanics well-oiled!

I am currently most fond of the house brews at the Beach Chalet in San Francisco. They sell a "Circle of Ales" which is a 4-5oz (ea.) sampler of their six styles, Golden Ale, Hefeweizen, California Kind, IPA, Red Ale, and for dessert a thick, chocolatey Porter. All for $5.25! Almost worth a road trip to the City!

I am also quite a fan of Belgians like Chimay and Duvel.
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:45 pm

Anything cold and $5 or less for a six pack.
Surprisingly, I am not a redneck nor do I go crazy over Nascar despite my beer selection [-(
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

Adventurewagen
IAC Addict!

Post by Adventurewagen » Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:49 pm

I'm on an IPA kick right now. Anything really hoppy or bitter and I'm in.

Mongoose IPA from Hales on tap
Fish Tale Organic IPA
Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale (from this last winter)
BridgePort IPA (good beer and always on sale)

I seem to change from year to year. Last year it was Hefeweizens, but eventually I found too many of them I liked contained too many sulfates to give them the crisp hop taste and instead gave me a headache, or maybe that was too many beers 8-[

Soon i'll be going back into my wine season, for some reason mostly beer in the summer and wine in the winter but... I always have some cold ones in the fridge just in case.
63 Gulf Blue Notch
71 Sierra Yellow Adventurewagen
DjEep wrote:Velo? Are you being "over-run"? Do you need to swim through a sea of Mexican anchor-babies to get to your bus in the morning?
:wav:

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:46 pm

Yeah I'm all about hops, no malty fizz for me. A little sweetness is always good as long as the hops are there to balance it out.
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:51 am

Sniff Sniff

I still can't drink real beer without massive debilitating headaches. I've gotten to where I can drink a couple "lite" beers though with no effects. (No effects of any kind, unfortunately.)

But rum is good! \:D/

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Post by steve74baywin » Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:25 am

I switch around when it comes to beer.... I've like dark beers for a long time, but used to buy cheaper stuff for around the house,,,everyday,,etc.....But after being sick for a few days my taste buds went nuts,,,I grabbed a Bush beer I had in the refridge and could taste mostly Phamaldihide...So now I have been getting Warstiener and Yeugland Black and Tans,,,,forgive the spelling...

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:45 am

DurocShark wrote:Sniff Sniff

I still can't drink real beer without massive debilitating headaches.
You too? I see a trend going on in my physiology. For some reason my body interprets alcohol as poison, even one beer is now affecting me.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:52 am

Amskeptic wrote:For some reason my body interprets alcohol as poison, even one beer is now affecting me.
Alchohol is indeed a poison... too much can and will kill you. So practice moderation, only drink one beer at a time!
Keep it acoustic.

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:10 am

LiveonJG wrote: Alchohol is indeed a poison... too much can and will kill you. So practice moderation, only drink one beer at a time!
Too true, plus it's hard to hold two beers and turn a wrench, all with double vision. I'm more of a beer purist than a beer drinker.... If I can afford to get really drunk off of it, I probably won't like it... Exception: Red Tail "Eye of the Hawk" Tastes like a smooth amber ale, punches like a 211 malt liquor (8%abv!) careful....

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:15 am

How can such an incredible thing be made of just 3 ingredients?? Water, barley, hops. Wow...it's alchemy I tells ya.

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:38 am

"What beverage, brewed since ancient times, is made from hops and grains?" "How about... ancient hop-grain juice?"

Seriously though, if you are ever in SF, fuck the cable cars, you have to stop by the Chalet. Theirs are the best beers I've ever had. Maybe it's just because it's so fresh, but damn! And they serve it to you set up in the perfect order. The Golden tastes like what you thought Bud, Miller and Coors should taste like after seeing the commercials as a kid. The Hefe tastes like fresh lemonade. The Califonia Kind is a pale ale reminicent of, well, "California Kind" w/ a skunky, herbal note to it. The IPA is thick and definatly hoppy but not too bitter like some IPAs can get. The Amber is clean and not super hoppy, perfect to cleanse the palate of the IPA before moving on to the finisher. The Porter looks like a mug full of espresso, with a dark syrupy appearance and a thick marbled-brown creme. It taste like fine bittersweet chocolate and leaves you feeling quite satisfied. Damn...now i want some...

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:10 pm

DjEep wrote:"What beverage, brewed since ancient times, is made from hops and grains?" "How about... ancient hop-grain juice?"

Seriously though, if you are ever in SF, fuck the cable cars, you have to stop by the Chalet. Theirs are the best beers I've ever had. Maybe it's just because it's so fresh, but damn! And they serve it to you set up in the perfect order. The Golden tastes like what you thought Bud, Miller and Coors should taste like after seeing the commercials as a kid. The Hefe tastes like fresh lemonade. The Califonia Kind is a pale ale reminicent of, well, "California Kind" w/ a skunky, herbal note to it. The IPA is thick and definatly hoppy but not too bitter like some IPAs can get. The Amber is clean and not super hoppy, perfect to cleanse the palate of the IPA before moving on to the finisher. The Porter looks like a mug full of espresso, with a dark syrupy appearance and a thick marbled-brown creme. It taste like fine bittersweet chocolate and leaves you feeling quite satisfied. Damn...now i want some...

After that review I think you should do beer reviews for a living =D>

Okay, besides the champagne of beers the best beer I have ever had was at Berghoff's (SP?) in Chicago...the Hefeweizen was worth driving four hours for...and we did \:D/
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:34 pm

spiffy wrote: After that review I think you should do beer reviews for a living =D>
I actually started to think the same thing when i finished typing it...
Hmmm......"DjEep's Guide to VW Repair and Beer Drinking"
It could sell....
Don't worry Colin, I have a lot of catching up to do in the VW department before publishing that one :smt109

amishman
Addicted!

Post by amishman » Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:58 pm

I drink so little compared to my youthful days. Now at 40, it has come to a standstill. When I used to live in the Bay Area, CA, it seemed like every night after work we would go to the bar for a cool one. Then, we moved up here to the foothills of CA, near the in-laws, and over the years, we drink very little. We do go off for wine tasting once in a while, but beer at a bar does not happen. I guess it got kind of old when the next morning came around, as I got older, was getting real tuff to handle it the next day. So, with time, drinking kinda left. I can go for the once in a while beer but not like I used to.

Maybe I should go in the fridge right now and have a cool one. Only problem is any beer in the fridge will be years old now. 8-[

+ my wife has me on this low carb thing. [-X No beer for you big boy.

tj
--------------------------------------------------
"As smart as I can be, the dumber I can become."

tj (the amishman)

Visit my web site if you can.
http://www.vwhippie.com

Come see more pictures and videos of my rides at!
http://www.flixya.com/user/amishman

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:23 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
DurocShark wrote:Sniff Sniff

I still can't drink real beer without massive debilitating headaches.
You too? I see a trend going on in my physiology. For some reason my body interprets alcohol as poison, even one beer is now affecting me.
Colin
Mine was self-inflicted I think...

We had a "booze cruise" at work 2 years ago or so. I drank upwards of 25 Coronas in 4 hours. Wasn't even really drunk. Just a nice buzz.

Anyway, there was an after party at a bar and I switched to just cola since I had to drive home. So for 3 more hours I drank just colas.

The headache that night and all the next day was completely debilitating. I couldn't move, get out of bed, anything. No matter how much water I drank I couldn't clear it. No amount of tylenol did anything either.

Ever since then, even 1 beer would trigger that headache. But hard liquor is fine for some reason.