Rob's 2nd Amendment Thread

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Re: Rob's 2nd Amendment Thread

Post by Randy in Maine » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:41 pm

From my experience as a regulator, I have found that incarceration is really pretty good at changing behavior. Most of the offenders are really too old to be spanked and it really does get their attention right now.
79 VW Bus

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:55 pm

Randy in Maine wrote:From my experience as a regulator, I have found that incarceration is really pretty good at changing behavior. Most of the offenders are really too old to be spanked and it really does get their attention right now.
Any unauthorized discharge of a firearm resulting in holes in the walls or injuries, I say 200 hours clean-up detail in emergency rooms that deal with gunshot victims.

Any unauthorized discharge of a firearm resulting in an innocent person losing their ability to work for a brief spell, make the shooter work off the loss of income for the victim.

Sensible, non-incarceration rehabilitation, ayep > (as they say in Maine).
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:22 am

Velokid1 wrote:Randy's solution makes a lot of sense, but I would love to see a new enlightened version of America where jailing people wasn't the only method of deterring or punishing bad behavior. The prison industry is huge as it is. We are capable of more imaginative solutions to our problems.
Back to chaingangs? Seattle already has people cleaning up the side of the roads all summer long.... even my son has done that duty.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:28 am

Bleyseng wrote:
Velokid1 wrote:Randy's solution makes a lot of sense, but I would love to see a new enlightened version of America where jailing people wasn't the only method of deterring or punishing bad behavior. The prison industry is huge as it is. We are capable of more imaginative solutions to our problems.
Back to chaingangs? Seattle already has people cleaning up the side of the roads all summer long.... even my son has done that duty.
That is too old-school punitive humiliation, though very handy for people who are so full of testosterone and piss'n'vinegar that hard labor would do them good.

Waking people up with directed, focused, eye-opening service, on the other hand . . . that might have a longer effect.
Colin
(anyone who spills coffee in my bus, for example, gets to re-dot the headliner for me now that my eyes are too cranky - focused rehabilitation, my boy.

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:32 pm

Let the judge decide.

Big difference between Randy's grandma and Tim McVeigh.
79 VW Bus

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:18 pm

Randy in Maine wrote:Let the judge decide.

Big difference between Randy's grandma and Tim McVeigh.
"I'm throwing the book at you, Grandma, to make an example of you. Through your wanton and willful disregard of community standards, your shocking and depraved refusal to bake cookies for your grandson tears at the very fabric of our society."

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:24 pm

We can at the very least make those in prison work. Like in the old days were they used to make license plates, etc.
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:29 pm

I think prisoners should assemble Apple products just like in china.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

Spezialist

Post by Spezialist » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:30 pm

I'm really wondering how the world views that 1 ex-cop that had the LAPD running for cover

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:31 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
RussellK wrote:I thought the court allowed big tobacco to be held responsible because they hid data and purposely managed nicotine levels with the intent of getting people addicted? I don't think gun manufacturers would pass the same test. Still its an interesting idea. What other industry sees its product intentionally misused to bring harm to others. Could we sue Nike because their shoes allow crooks to outrun cops?
Gun manufacturers have indeed suppressed research into the injuries produced by guns and certain types of ammunition. The gun manufacturers and the NRA lobbied (read $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$) Congress to not allow such heinous research to be conducted by that no-goodnik government of ours.
Colin

http://tinyurl.com/cuhujhu
Somehow that article didn't surprise me given the NRA's history of crushing anyone, including their own (see Jim Zumbro), who dares to think counter to NRA policy. Fortunately this group doesn't appear to be intimidated. http://www.jhsph.edu/research/centers-a ... -research/

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:21 am

Randy in Maine wrote:From my experience as a regulator, I have found that incarceration is really pretty good at changing behavior. Most of the offenders are really too old to be spanked and it really does get their attention right now.
Striking your children is also effective at changing their behavior, but at what cost? There are a few schools of thought on that one and, when it comes to using incarceration as the primary means of influencing behavior, it's clear which school of thought is the prevailing one in the U.S.

Also clear is how well it's working out for us.

There is an entire realm of life and living and experience that we ignore when we approach a problem like this. "You should do this, but you did that, you're bad and now we beat you and hope you start behaving well, whether you truly are well or not."

Instead of ignoring the inner lives of others, we could address them and use them to influence behavior.

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:39 am

Example.....

This guy I know had a couple of felony convictions. When the cops came to arrest him for another felony (poaching), they discovered that he had numerous firearms. Like dozens that he had bought from private parties where no background check was performed. I think (my speculation) he looked at it as a money maker to sell those weapons to gang guys out of state (MA, NY, and DC). Nobody (not even Ted Nugent) uses AR-15 to hunt non-humans.

He just got out of prison (5 years no parole) for the firearms violations.

I don't know if he learned a lesson or not. Only time will tell.

But it did sort of take him out of the loop for 5 years.
79 VW Bus

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:50 pm

Do we want him out of the loop or do we want him to stop poaching?

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:29 pm

I think the judge was trying to impress on him that when the court says, "You are felon. No guns. No hunting." He meant it.
79 VW Bus