The Electoral College

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Re: The Electoral College

Post by whc03grady » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:28 pm

I revise my former statement: I'm glad at least six people apparently have some understanding of how and why the Electoral College works...myself, Colin, BellePlaine, RussellK, Alan Simpson, and Alan Natapoff.
I'm saddened to see that RSorak 71Westy doesn't understand that truths of mathematics aren't subjective (and also that he buys the nonsensical 10th-grade civ explanation for the EC's existence).
I'm also saddened to see that Bleyseng, who I at first thought was in favor of voters' rights, would happily disenfranchise vast swaths of the populace simply because their political views don't align with his.
Ludwig--1974 Westfalia, 2.0L (GD035193), Solex 34PDSIT-2/3 carburetors.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).
Read about their adventures:
http://www.ludwigandgertie.blogspot.com

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:30 pm

Hey, atleast I don't stand at the voting booths stopping Blacks, Latinos, Asians from voting. I just don't see how it benefits us these days. Yes, way back 200 years ago I could see its purpose but not now. Since I am a City boy, that the farming states have too much power overruling the Majority of the population which is in the big cities. My opinion is that the "RED" states are "Takers" while the "Blue" states are the "Makers".
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

rallybug
Getting Hooked!

Post by rallybug » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:59 am

whc03grady wrote:I revise my former statement: I'm glad at least six people apparently have some understanding of how and why the Electoral College works...myself, Colin, BellePlaine, RussellK, Alan Simpson, and Alan Natapoff.
I'm saddened to see that RSorak 71Westy doesn't understand that truths of mathematics aren't subjective (and also that he buys the nonsensical 10th-grade civ explanation for the EC's existence).
I'm also saddened to see that Bleyseng, who I at first thought was in favor of voters' rights, would happily disenfranchise vast swaths of the populace simply because their political views don't align with his.
But then again, someone voting Democrat in a state like Utah is also, basically, disenfranchised, due to the overwhelming dominance of the Republican vote here.

In 2008, 62.25% voted for McCain in Utah, against 34.22% for Obama, and yet McCain got all 5 electoral votes, when 1/3 of the population didn't vote for him - that makes 327,000 people who might as well have not voted.

Even if the whole of the over-18 population in NY state voted one way, that could be almost negated by the FL electorate voting the other.
Harvee the Wonder Bus - a 1979 CA-spec 7-seater bus

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:16 pm

As Rallybug states its not representive of the popular voting but in most states a winner take all. I feel its time for change.
Geoff

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:14 pm

Bleyseng wrote:As Rallybug states its not representive of the popular voting but in most states a winner take all. I feel its time for change.
We have many issues that could use change . . . like getting rid of money that is now allowed to vote via large contributions. Proportional allotment of electoral votes could help, yaah? Now get past the entrenched interests that like the status quo.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:17 am

Hey Corporations are people and have feelings too! We don't want them disenfranchised like the rest of us!
Geoff