America would be better off with more strikes!

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

America would be better off with more strikes!

Post by Bleyseng » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:23 pm

Good article and I think its about time the "sheep" rise up.
cnn.com/2012/09/10/opinion/rhomberg-unions-strikes/index.html?hpt=hp_t1
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Re: America would be better off with more strikes!

Post by Hippie » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:39 pm

I figured a national strike was overdue as far back as the '80s.
Meh, civil disobedience is dead. Strikes are dead. Boycotts are dead. Just give us a big screen TV and Survivor and Big Brother. We suck.

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:19 pm

Time to break out and sing-"Bread and Roses" so the workers rise up and level the playing field.
Geoff

Spezialist

Post by Spezialist » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:22 pm

Strikes don't work when you've got an army of scab labor waiting to fill in.

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:01 am

That's what picket lines are for!
Geoff

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Post by whc03grady » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:18 am

Bleyseng wrote:That's what picket lines are for!
Lemme get this straight:

You and your coworkers are mad at your employer, BigCompanyCorp, so you go on strike.

I'm hurting for money to keep my family afloat and see that I could earn some with some temporary work (possibly turning into permanent work, depending on how the strike goes) at BigCompanyCorp. I see BigCompanyCorp's terms for my employment and am happy with them.

But, to show up to work I have to endure verbal threats and possibly violence? All I'm doing is trying to feed my family. I'm sorry if you and your striking co-workers at BigCompanyCorp don't like that.

Ridiculous. F*cking ridiculous, I'd go so far to say.

I live in a town (Anaconda, Montana) that is--that is to say, was--a very, very strong union town. People around here used to get their houses burned down for voting the 'wrong' way in union elections, and for other similar offenses.

Unions--the cure is as bad as the disease. Good riddance to them.
Ludwig--1974 Westfalia, 2.0L (GD035193), Solex 34PDSIT-2/3 carburetors.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).
Read about their adventures:
http://www.ludwigandgertie.blogspot.com

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:17 am

whc03grady wrote:But, to show up to work I have to endure verbal threats and possibly violence? All I'm doing is trying to feed my family. I'm sorry if you and your striking co-workers at BigCompanyCorp don't like that.
I am in management and have been trained in jobs Union employees hold as critical fill slots. I have also been trained in how to cross picket lines when I go to and from the job. I have never done so yet and certainly don't look forward to it. And I would not appreciate the violence if the protest escalated to that.

I did have the plan on crossing the lines in a Domino's Pizza outfit with the box, uniform and light on the car. However, once they found out I bet they would not only take my pizza, they would also resort to violence then.

Sylvester, former member, Local UAW 1073.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:07 pm

As a manager myself working in an industry that (used to be) well represented by unions (Teamsters), I've always believed that companies get (or don't get) the unions they deserve. Treat your employees with respect, pay a fair wage, have an open door policy and there won't be a desire to form a union. Do the opposite, or be apathetic, and prepare for the consequences.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:58 pm

whc03grady wrote:
Lemme get this straight:

Ahh, in the 1800's to 1920's there really were terrible working conditions and employers paid little wages and no benefits. Unions were formed because of folks like Mitt Romney who cheated the workers. It goes both ways but folks need a living wage and benefits. It went way too far in Greece where you could retire at 55 and have a great pension.
I read today the average wage is the same as in 1978 and I feel its because Reagen was a union buster. This is killing the middle class (buying power) and they are the engine that sparks the economy buying all that crap at Walmart and Costco. Corporate and the 5% folks have been increasing their take every year so yes, its time for the unions to strike and get a fair share of the pie. I look at Boeing and how that worked out for both. Of course it helped that the previous CEO said on tape that the new plant in SC was to bust the unions. :cussing:
Geoff

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:47 pm

whc03grady wrote:
Lemme get this straight:

You and your coworkers are mad at your employer, BigCompanyCorp, so you go on strike.

I'm hurting for money to keep my family afloat and see that I could earn some with some temporary work (possibly turning into permanent work, depending on how the strike goes) at BigCompanyCorp. I see BigCompanyCorp's terms for my employment and am happy with them.

But, to show up to work I have to endure verbal threats and possibly violence? All I'm doing is trying to feed my family. I'm sorry if you and your striking co-workers at BigCompanyCorp don't like that.

Ridiculous. F*cking ridiculous, I'd go so far to say.

I live in a town (Anaconda, Montana) that is--that is to say, was--a very, very strong union town. People around here used to get their houses burned down for voting the 'wrong' way in union elections, and for other similar offenses.

I suspect you may have a different attitude towards unions if you really knew the history and reasons they were formed in the first place. And if you had ever been part of a union in a company that couldn't give a shit less about their employees beyond what they could do for their bottom line. I will agree that some unions have gone above and beyond and gotten greedy but for the most part they are what keeps the middle class hanging on by the ever deteriorating economic thread that our government has created for us. Another thing to consider is that unions not only bargain for a decent wage but even more important, bargain for fair and equal protection/treatment language that is more important than the wages they get for the members.
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:53 am

Westy78 wrote:unions not only bargain for a decent wage but even more important, bargain for fair and equal protection/treatment.
Like the 40 hour workweek.
Like weekends.
Like healthcare.
Like workplace safety.

The propaganda against unions has been largely extremely unfair and distorted, and the dupes who parrot the Faux News/Corporate Oligarchy line against unions are painfully undermining of the American way of life . . . precisely because they are actually ignorant of the history of unions.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:23 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Westy78 wrote:unions not only bargain for a decent wage but even more important, bargain for fair and equal protection/treatment.
Like weekends.
Like healthcare.
Like workplace safety.

The propaganda against unions has been largely extremely unfair and distorted, and the dupes who parrot the Faux News/Corporate Oligarchy line against unions are painfully undermining of the American way of life . . . precisely because they are actually ignorant of the history of unions.
Colin

Exactly.

Proud 20 year Teamster who can lead a fairly comfortable middle class life without a college degree thanks to unions.

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:43 pm

Westy78 wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:
Like weekends.
Like healthcare.
Like workplace safety.

The propoganda against unions has been largely extremely unfair and distorted, and the dupes who parrot the Faux News/Corporate Oligarchy line against unions are painfully undermining of the American way of life . . . precisely because they are actually ignorant of the history of unions.
Colin

Exactly.

Proud 20 year Teamster who can lead a fairly comfortable middle class life without a college degree thanks to unions.

What! You didn't go into debt $200k for a college degree just so you could have a middle class life! That's unAmerican!
Geoff

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:49 pm

Bleyseng wrote:
Westy78 wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:
Like weekends.
Like healthcare.
Like workplace safety.

The propoganda against unions has been largely extremely unfair and distorted, and the dupes who parrot the Faux News/Corporate Oligarchy line against unions are painfully undermining of the American way of life . . . precisely because they are actually ignorant of the history of unions.
Colin

Exactly.

What! You didn't go into debt $200k for a college degree just so you could have a middle class life! That's unAmerican!
I know crazy right?!

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Post by whc03grady » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:02 am

It's interesting to me how quick people are to evoke the history of unions when someone is questioning the nature of modern unions (it's also interesting how these same defenders are so willing to turn a blind eye to all the very bad things unions did, and, I suspect, continue to do). Yes, unions did good things. And ether was a good thing in the operating rooms of the 19th century. How is something's past importance necessarily relevant to the present, again? No one, I hope, sincerely believes that if unions were to disappear today, tomorrow we'd all be working alongside little kids in The Jungle for fifty cents a day.

I fully oppose any efforts to ban unions, let me get that straight. People have a right to get together with other people (free association) and make their views heard (same goes for corporations too, I'm sorry to say; good for the goose, etc.).

Incidentally, I can't help but notice no one has answered my original question (and frankly I don't expect anyone to, not in a forthright way anyway): What right do you, the striking worker, have to verbally harass me and threaten me with violence as I'm walking through your picket line in order to earn money for my family?
Ludwig--1974 Westfalia, 2.0L (GD035193), Solex 34PDSIT-2/3 carburetors.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).
Read about their adventures:
http://www.ludwigandgertie.blogspot.com