Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Ohio Miners Forced To Attend Romney Photo-Op

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:30 am

. . . and were then docked pay.

August 29, 2012, 6:29 p.m.

WASHINGTON -- Employees of a major coal industry donor to Republican causes have raised complaints about their participation in an event earlier this month organized for GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney in the crucial swing state of Ohio.

Several miners at Murray Energy’s Century coal mine in Beallsville, Ohio, contacted a nearby morning talk radio host, David Blomquist, over the last two weeks to say that they were forced to attend an Aug. 14 rally for Romney at the mine. Murray closed the mine the day of the rally, saying it was necessary for security and safety, then docked miners the day's pay. Asked by WWVA radio’s Blomquist about the allegations on Monday’s show, Murray chief operating officer Robert Moore said: “Attendance was mandatory but no one was forced to attend the event.

The Century mine is owned by Robert Murray, an enthusiastic Romney supporter and major contributor to the Republican Party on his own and through Murray Energy, one of the largest private coal companies in the U.S. Murray and his wife have given Republican candidates a total of $471,185 since the 2008 election, including the maximum of $5,000 each to Romney this year, according to the Center for Responsive Politics. Additionally, employees of Murray Energy and its subsidiaries contributed almost $1.5 million to Republicans over the same period.

Murray Energy is among the biggest employers in the coal-rich Ohio valley, and worries run high there that the increased use of natural gas at the nation’s power plants and more stringent air pollution regulations are gradually throttling coal. Robert Murray has consistently hammered President Barack Obama for allegedly waging “a war on coal,” a refrain Romney and the Republican Party have taken up. But he has denied foisting political activity on anyone.

“Nobody was ordered to attend,” said Murray, in an interview in Tampa, Fla., with a reporter from the Cleveland Plain Dealer covering the convention. “Nobody knows who attended and who didn’t. But I can tell you this: We had 3,000 people there, it was a great day, our people enjoyed it. Barack Obama is destroying their lives, their livelihoods. These people are scared, and they came out in droves to see Mitt Romney and that’s what it was all about.”

The Romney campaign declined to comment, referring questions to Murray Energy. Calls to Moore were not immediately returned. The Obama campaign declined to comment but the Ohio Democratic Party said it is keeping a close eye on the situation.

“I don’t think it speaks well of any candidate who attends an event where attendance by employees is mandatory,” said Ohio Democratic Party spokesman Jerid Kurtz. “It takes away from the authenticity of the event.”

At the rally, Romney stood before a wall of hard-hat wearing, gray uniformed miners, some with their faces still coal-smudged from earlier shifts, as he lambasted Obama administration policies he says are intent on bankrupting coal.

Employees who contacted Blomquist and others in the industry contend that the August event is the latest example of the lengths Murray is willing to go to back his political priorities. In the days just after the rally, about seven or eight mine workers, supposedly independent of one another, emailed and called Blomquist to tell him about the circumstances surrounding the rally. The radio host, known as Bloomdaddy, said once he began talking about the issue on the air, he was contacted by other current and former Murray employees, bringing the number of those sharing the same concerns to 15 to 20 people.

The wife of an hourly employee at the Century mine said in an interview with the Washington Bureau the event was mandatory, and that workers were told to arrive at 8 a.m. to a local school, where they registered to attend the rally and then waited much of the day to be bused to the mine. The schedule ate into her husband’s free time, which bothered him, she said. She said she did not want to be identified for fear her husband would lose his job.

“He was really upset that they took his free time with his family away from him,” she said. In general, she said “he felt like they were pushing the Republican choice on him and he felt a little intimidated by that.”

Blomquist’s correspondents said they are routinely pressured to donate to Republican causes and that the company keeps track of who gives and who doesn’t. Workers sometimes have their pay envelopes stuffed with political literature, the employee’s wife said.

Blomquist said his callers chose to stay anonymous from the radio audience for fear of dismissal, but that he had not spoken to anyone who suffered retribution for veering from Murray Energy’s politics. The mine worker’s wife said her husband did not attend the rally and so far hasn’t faced any repercussions.

Blomquist said his callers mainly wanted an end to the overt politics. “They just want the feeling of pressure and the rhetoric to stop,” he said.

During his interview with Moore on Monday, Blomquist pressed the executive about the logic of stripping workers of a day’s pay despite the fact that the work day was lost due to management’s decision. Moore responded that such a decision was Murray Energy’s prerogative and small sacrifice for workers to make.

“We’re talking about an event that was in the best interest of anyone related to the coal industry in this area or the entire country,” Moore said. “Put it in perspective: When you think about how critical this next election is and how critical it is that we get someone in this office who supports coal, to give up 8 hours for a career, I do not believe there is anything negative about that.”

While employees often serve as a backdrop when candidates of either party rally at their facilities, making attendance mandatory and withholding the pay of those who do is considered highly unusual. Century is not a union mine, so workers lack protection from such measures.

[UPDATED at 6:34 p.m.: Murray Energy gained attention during the August 2007 collapse of a mine it co-owned in Utah, Crandall Canyon Mine, during which six miners were killed and three other men perished in the rescue effort. The media at the time revealed that Murray Energy had a far worse safety record at some of its mines than other coal companies of similar size. Robert Murray blamed the collapse on an earthquake, a theory scientists later discredited.

Robert Murray has also spoken out against further regulation of the coal and power industry and called climate change “elitists' ill-conceived ‘global goofiness' ” campaign.

Coal jobs have risen in Ohio during most of Obama’s tenure, but mines all over mid-Atlantic have been laying off people this year, said Phil Smith, spokesman for the United Mineworkers of America, which endorsed Obama in 2008 and has so far not endorsed a 2012 presidential candidate. Smith said although many coal companies talk to employees from time to time about developments in the industry, Murray Energy stood apart.

“He holds frequent meetings with employees letting folks know his views with respect to politics and trashing Obama and trashing us for supporting Obama in '08,” Smith said of Robert Murray. “They’re weekly, maybe biweekly. So, in tone and amount of activism, he is unique.”]
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

JLT
Old School!

Re: Ohio Miners Forced To Attend Romney Photo-Op

Post by JLT » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:49 am

Amskeptic wrote:Attendance was mandatory but no one was forced to attend the event.
WTF?

It reminds me of a Fry's Electronics ad for some gizmo which said:

"Must purchase optional cable"

I guess "optional" and "mandatory" have different meanings than they used to have.
-- JLT
Sacramento CA

Present bus: '71 Dormobile Westie "George"
(sometimes towing a '65 Allstate single-wheel trailer)
Former buses: '61 17-window Deluxe "Pink Bus"
'70 Frankenwestie "Blunder Bus"
'71 Frankenwestie "Thunder Bus"

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:48 am

JLT wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:Attendance was mandatory but no one was forced to attend the event.
WTF?

It reminds me of a Fry's Electronics ad for some gizmo which said:

"Must purchase optional cable"

I guess "optional" and "mandatory" have different meanings than they used to have.
I heard a very similar language mangling interview at Starbucks.
"If we hire you, you will be required to volunteer to work a shift on Thanksgiving."
Colin"realfruitflavor"

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:46 pm

I just don't understand how anyone can forget 8 years of Bush so quickly, then blame it on the other guy. Not to mention blocking every proposal in the last 4 years.
I'd like to know why there is so much venomous anger about Obama. He's not God but he's certainly not evil. It just doesn't add up.
Coal needs to go away anyway. Isn't it the single greatest polluter?
"My daddy was always in favor of head graftin'. Heck our whole family had 12 extra heads when we were growing up. Sure times were tough but America means the FREEDOM to stuff all 12 of your heads with bread puddin yessiree. Damn Democrats are gonna hafta pull off my extry heads with a bulldozer."
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

pj
Addicted!

Post by pj » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:59 pm

Bob, you state: "I'd like to know why there is so much venomous anger about Obama. He's not God but he's certainly not evil. It just doesn't add up." Half the country would say the same about President Bush,but if one were to look at any rally during that time in Portland for example, you'd think that he was the spawn of Hitler,Goebbels,Stalin and Satan all combined. I don't have venomous anger against him, but I do think it's time for him to enjoy all that money he's earned off his books in a wonderful retirement.

You also state: "Not to mention blocking every proposal in the last 4 years." That maybe a bit of an overstatement, but if one looks at the breakout of Congress from 2001 to present, you'll see they break out evenly.

Senate House
2001 D R
2003 R R
2005 R R
2007 D D
2009 D D
2011 D R

Six Congresses split evenly over 12 years, I'd say that's pretty much the way the founders envisioned it to work out. Split government in my opinion is probably the best we can hope for.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:23 pm

Bush certainly isn't evil. Just a lucky bastard willing to do the bidding of those "evildoers" who put $$$$ above all else, including honesty and morality.
I am not about to quote the atrocities of the Bush White House, they are self-evident for all who wish to seek. But to be blunt, that was/is a fucked up period in American history. But we are all God's children, no? Hate is always out of place - and impossible to remove from politics, especially for those with $$$ for eyeballs.

Obama has been fought tooth and nail for every proposed policy in the past 4 years. I have seen'ed it with myne oyn eyes (and lived to tell th tale). It is ridiculous for a country in crisis. Evil? No, just greedy, incredibly greedy for the sand that passes through one's fingers.

"How Republicans Went Crazy, Democrats Became Useless and the Middle Class Got Shafted"
http://truth-out.org/news/item/11304-the-party-is-over
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:22 pm

hambone wrote: Coal needs to go away anyway. Isn't it the single greatest polluter?
Greed.

Greed is the single greatest polluter.
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:10 am

glasseye wrote:
hambone wrote: Coal needs to go away anyway. Isn't it the single greatest polluter?
Greed.

Greed is the single greatest polluter.
=D> =D>