Gary Johnson

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Re: Gary Johnson

Post by BellePlaine » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:35 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
This is the ages-old conundrum, when/how do principles/ideals meet practical reality? It is a fair and difficult question with no easy answers.
Colin
I wonder if we could draw a distinction between practical/principle voting as the difference between voting AGAINST someone vs. voting FOR someone?

Practical voting is like accepting a limit of your choices based who other people are going to vote for. Principled is not making your choices their business. Does that seem to be a fair analysis?
1975 Riviera we call "Spider-Man"

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Gary Johnson

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:27 pm

BellePlaine wrote: Practical voting is like accepting a limit of your choices based who other people are going to vote for. Principled is not making your choices their business. Does that seem to be a fair analysis?
I have not personally experienced the conundrum, so easily do I winnow my choices down to the "best selection available". It was nobody's business but mine that I decided Obama was the best practical selection. In fact, I have always shied away from ideological purity or dogmatic idealism. I am glad we do not have a circus of 40 candidates all seeking a slice of votes where they have to form coalitions to govern, like in many countries. I like that when the dust settles in America, we have pretty much a majority "mandate".

That said, I think you may have some strong opinions about why Gary Johnson and Ron Paul ran into walls in their quest for the presidency. I think they would have added important facets to the debate, but I also strongly feel that neither was presidential timber, and the system, while shamefully squelching their voices, performed its editing function.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles