The Art Of The Sale: An Author Interview on NPR

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

The Art Of The Sale: An Author Interview on NPR

Post by BellePlaine » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:37 pm

http://northcountrypublicradio.org/news ... -s-a-pitch

I caught this great interview on NPR with author Philip Delves Broughton on his new book titled, The Art Of The Sale: Learning From The Masters About The Business Of Life. As a salesperson, I am intrigued about the concept of sales as a study of human nature. I bought the book.
1975 Riviera we call "Spider-Man"

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Re: The Art Of The Sale: An Author Interview on NPR

Post by SlowLane » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:12 pm

Then you may also be interested in Robert Cialdini's Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion (though I'm generally reluctant to hand ammunition to people who are likely to use it).

As somone who is emphatically not a salesperson, I found Cialdini's 6 principles of persuasion to be most enlightening. Now I'm much better able to identify and counter their uses by people trying to sell me something. :geek:
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: The Art Of The Sale: An Author Interview on NPR

Post by Amskeptic » Wed May 02, 2012 7:09 am

SlowLane wrote:Then you may also be interested in Robert Cialdini's Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion (though I'm generally reluctant to hand ammunition to people who are likely to use it).

As somone who is emphatically not a salesperson, I found Cialdini's 6 principles of persuasion to be most enlightening. Now I'm much better able to identify and counter their uses by people trying to sell me something. :geek:
That was the most hated aspect of my education in the U.C.L.A. Psychology program, the use of psychology to sell . . . to adults, to children . . . .
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles