The Rich Are Unethical ~ Scientific Proof!

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Lanval
IAC Addict!

The Rich Are Unethical ~ Scientific Proof!

Post by Lanval » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:30 pm

Enjoy the link:

http://www.latimes.com/news/science/la- ... 5885.story

Why, oh why, am I not surprised? Egads...

Michael L

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: The Rich Are Unethical ~ Scientific Proof!

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:47 am

Lanval wrote:Enjoy the link:

http://www.latimes.com/news/science/la- ... 5885.story

Why, oh why, am I not surprised? Egads...

Michael L
I steal candy from babies all the time. Why should they get any? Did they work for it?
I will kick that stroller over if that stupid toddler has Reeses Pieces.
"Walk you little brat, I am doing you a favor."
It's about initiative . . .
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

denjohn
Getting Hooked!

Post by denjohn » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:29 am

Scientific Study Shows That The Powerful and Privileged Are More Likely to Lie, Cheat, and Steal
http://jessescrossroadscafe.blogspot.co ... l-and.html
I seem to recall my grandmother telling me this about 50 years ago.

I have encountered quite a few of the nouveau riche, barely upper middle class, that are unscrupulous and almost unbearable. And I have met a number of very wealthy people, both old money people and the accidental rich, who are kindly, enjoyable, and exceptionally hospitable.

From my own experience it is not whether a person has money per se. Rather it is the perceived power that a person feels that they have and their attitude towards it, and how differently they consider themselves to be therefore from others.

I have heard that it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than a rich person to get into heaven. Perhaps it is a simplicity of heart that opens such doors for us, and the baggage of pride that closes them. None of the spirit can justly feel such pride compared to another. Our comparison, our aspiration, is not to the fellow next to us, but to a model so perfect and so loving that it leaves us equally alike in our unworthiness, attempting that which is unattainable to us on our own, except for the undeserved gift of grace.

But the world says 'Greed is good, baby.' Build the foundations of society on that historically untenable aphorism and enjoy the ride. It's been done many times before.

"Seven studies using experimental and naturalistic methods reveal that upper-class individuals behave more unethically than lower-class individuals. In studies 1 and 2, upper-class individuals were more likely to break the law while driving, relative to lower-class individuals.

In follow-up laboratory studies, upper-class individuals were more likely to exhibit unethical decision-making tendencies (study 3), take valued goods from others (study 4), lie in a negotiation (study 5), cheat to increase their chances of winning a prize (study 6), and endorse unethical behavior at work (study 7) than were lower-class individuals.

Mediator and moderator data demonstrated that upper-class individuals’ unethical tendencies are accounted for, in part, by their more favorable attitudes toward greed."

Higher Social Class Predicts Unethical Behaviour, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, February 27, 2012 Paul K. Piffa, Daniel M. Stancatoa, Stéphane Côtéb, Rodolfo Mendoza-Dentona, and Dacher Keltnera

"According to Piff, unethical behavior in the study was driven both by greed, which makes people less empathic, and the nature of wealth in a highly stratified society. It insulates people from the consequences of their actions, reduces their need for social connections and fuels feelings of entitlement, all of which become self-reinforcing cultural norms.

“When pursuit of self-interest is allowed to run unchecked, it can lead to socially pernicious outcomes,” said Piff, who noted that the findings are not politically partisan. “The same rules apply to liberals and conservatives. We always control for political persuasion,” he said."

Greed Is Not Good, Wealth Can Make People Unethical
Peace
'71 bus, stock running gear ex SVDA and pertronix

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:07 pm

denjohn wrote: Scientific Study Shows That The Powerful and Privileged Are More Likely to Lie, Cheat, and Steal
I like to keep in the back of my mind that everybody would have to battle the issues of wealth if they had the chance to be rich. Everybody would have to battle being an asshole if they suddenly became country club denizens. Everybody, within a week, would have to confront their charitable impulses.

I do not see the poor and powerless as more saintly ... they just have not had the opportunity to see what they would do . . .
Colin

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:38 am

Amskeptic wrote:
denjohn wrote: Scientific Study Shows That The Powerful and Privileged Are More Likely to Lie, Cheat, and Steal
I like to keep in the back of my mind that everybody would have to battle the issues of wealth if they had the chance to be rich. Everybody would have to battle being an asshole if they suddenly became country club denizens. Everybody, within a week, would have to confront their charitable impulses.

I do not see the poor and powerless as more saintly ... they just have not had the opportunity to see what they would do . . .
Colin
This struck a (good) cord ...
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

Cindy
IAC Addict!

Post by Cindy » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:18 am

Amskeptic wrote:

Colin

So true. It reminds me of the article I read in National Geographic years ago about remote villagers who suddenly got indoor plumbing. Within one week of no longer having to tote water, they were using (and wasting) record amounts. Just like the rest of us.

Cindy
“No one can tell what goes on in between the person you were and the person you become. No one can chart that blue and lonely section of hell. There are no maps of the change. You just come out the other side.
Or you don't.” ― Stephen King, The Stand

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:01 am

I agree 100% with that. And it gets really interesting if you take it into what is very uncomfortable territory for many people. For example, a kid who shoots up his school lunch room. It's so easy to say "I was in high school and I had it HARD... I was picked on! But I would NEVER do what that kid did." But would you do what he did if you were truly subjected to all the factors he was? Maybe he was the victim of unfathomable abuse at home. Maybe the way his brain processes information is completely different than yours.

Spezialist

Post by Spezialist » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:42 am

Well when you consider that the Eagle kills for its life from day one, it's not a big leap to see why many countries use it as there emblem of power.
It's a basic human survival condition, when we no longer have to fear for our survival,
We can focus more energy on being sentient.

An eagle chick will kill its nest mates as soon as they break through the shell.

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:58 pm

Pretty much old news to me.
However I do not let Cadillacs cut me off. I need some of their money so I pretend I don't see them trying to take my turn.

pj
Addicted!

Post by pj » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:04 am

I read the story, and I didn't see any science at all, what we see is a guy at UC Berkeley who is finishing up a PHD. In his study he uses the SF bay area as his sampling area to tell the rest of us how the nation's rich act. I would suggest he tells us how San Francisco, Oakland, and the rest of the bay area "rich" acts. I just can't believe that the bay area is a great place to make such a broad statement about some of our fellow citizens.
I would suggest that this guy head down to NC, KS, or hell even SW Washington state, and conduct his survey. Lets see if the results hold true.

BTW Colin, don't you drive one of them big time Japanese foreign luxury cars? Try to stay out of the bay area with it, they just may loop you in with them damn one percenters.

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:10 pm

Many wealthy tend to act that way where I live. Entitlement mentality like big, spoiled kids. Just my experience.
But you're right, the sampling is too narrow to be really scientifically valid.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:25 am

pj wrote: BTW Colin, don't you drive one of them big time Japanese foreign luxury cars? Try to stay out of the bay area with it, they just may loop you in with them damn one percenters.
No such thing as a "big time" Japanese luxury car. I drive one as a winter-beater.
I do drive a big-time Mercedes 450SEL and a '62 Lincoln Continental about ten miles each per year.
The cows are impressed.
Colin

pj
Addicted!

Post by pj » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:17 pm

Winter beater unh? That will keep you in good stead with the 99%.

Philip AKA Thurston Howell III

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:10 pm

So what this study has concluded is that people who perceive themselves as being higher in the societal pecking order will take advantage over those they perceive to be lower in the pecking order.

Remarkable. Absolutely astounding. Who could have seen that coming, eh? :geek:

What I really find interesting, nay, disturbing, is that someone was actually able to parlay this ground-breaking research into a PhD thesis.

Wow.
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:03 pm

SlowLane wrote:So what this study has concluded is that people who perceive themselves as being higher in the societal pecking order will take advantage over those they perceive to be lower in the pecking order.

Remarkable. Absolutely astounding. Who could have seen that coming, eh? :geek:

What I really find interesting, nay, disturbing, is that someone was actually able to parlay this ground-breaking research into a PhD thesis.

Wow.
Now now, take it easy. There are diploma mills out there just diluting the pool of enquiry. Some bonehead probably took his favorite topic. Speaking of topicality, it is encumbent upon us to study and to learn about the very rich. We have to figure out a way to raise children with the concept of ENOUGH ALREADY. Study away . . .
Colin