More than voting

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

More than voting

Post by ruckman101 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:15 am

Whine whine whine, eh? Politics often leave us feeling disempowered even voting every election.* What to do, what to do. Occupy?

There is another option. Run for an elected office, enter the belly of the beast, take the reins of change into your own hands.

I've always opted out of that choice, rationalizing that the support services I use to provide for the malcontents and cage shakers offset my activist mindset's lack of actual activism.

pj has trumped me.

Activism transcended to actualism. The scurvy conservative cad has his shy side, but I'm impressed and have been biting my tongue wanting to spill the news heretofore only hinted at from posts to this board, but, trying to be polite, I figured it was his biz to share or not and I wasn't going to out him without first making sure it wasn't a problem for him.

"I really didn't think anyone would care much," he says. Such humility.

Duly elected over the incumbent, I'm not missing pj's swearing in ceremony as his local community's new city councilman tomorrow evening.

Congratulations pj, despite our philosophical loggerheads, I know you will approach the task with the highest integrity. That's half the battle right there.

neal

*and if you don't even bother to vote, STFU, I don't want to hear it, you obviously don't give a rat's ass, so go back to your cheetos and world of warfare and let the adults talk.
The slipper has no teeth.

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Re: More than voting

Post by dtrumbo » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:08 am

Congrats PJ! ... and kudos to you Neal. I've had the pleasure of meeting both of you in person and although you couldn't be on more opposite sides of the political fence, you respect each other as humans should. Truly an odd-couple-type relationship but an example for all. Heartwarming.

This image comes to mind.
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:24 am

ruckman101 wrote: pj has trumped me.
Activism transcended to actualism.

I'm impressed and have been biting my tongue wanting to spill the news heretofore only hinted at from posts to this board, but, trying to be polite, I figured it was his biz to share or not and I wasn't going to out him without first making sure it wasn't a problem for him.

"I really didn't think anyone would care much," he says. Such humility.
I have been busily trying to buy influence ever since October ....
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:27 pm

Cool!
1975 Riviera we call "Spider-Man"

DoubleNickle
I'm New!

Post by DoubleNickle » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:06 pm

Good job pj! I would certainly advocate for community involvement at any level... it becomes even more meaningful when it's voluntary and not paid. Being part of a City Council can be a thankless job to say the least but is quite gratifying on a personal level. Volunteer! School, church, scouts, community club, booster club, FFA - doesn't really matter, just pick something and get started. (Once my youngest graduates this spring) my next volunteer commitment will be CASA. And please vote as well! 55
1975 Riviera
1.8 FI

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:32 pm

And lest anyone doubt,

http://vimeo.com/35234697

Congrats again pj. You're a braver man than I.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:38 am

:cheers: Love it! Can't wait to congratulate hizzoner in person this June!
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

pj
Addicted!

Post by pj » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:41 pm

Neal and Cheryl of course are very kind to me in my video debut, I'm grateful they edited out the parts where I picked my nose or something like that.

I do wish my folks were alive to witness this, my Mom who was proud of everything her three boys ever did would have beamed. My Father on the other hand comes from a long line of plain spoken people who would have quipped something to the effect of: Not since 1742 when Joseph P. Johnson was hanged for horse thievery has a Johnson brought such shame to the family as my boy becoming a damn politician.

I am quickly learning the ins and outs of small town (18000 residents) politics. I guess when a budget of 17.5 million dollars a year is on the line, one soon learns who has benefited in the past and who hopes to benefit in the future. As I told Neal, I could give a damn about all the big muckey mucks, my concern will be with the 18000, who over the years have been pretty much screwed and forgotten, hopefully I can help turn the page on that process.

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:10 am

pj wrote:Neal and Cheryl of course are very kind to me in my video debut, I'm grateful they edited out the parts where I picked my nose or something like that.

I do wish my folks were alive to witness this, my Mom who was proud of everything her three boys ever did would have beamed. My Father on the other hand comes from a long line of plain spoken people who would have quipped something to the effect of: Not since 1742 when Joseph P. Johnson was hanged for horse thievery has a Johnson brought such shame to the family as my boy becoming a damn politician.

I am quickly learning the ins and outs of small town (18000 residents) politics. I guess when a budget of 17.5 million dollars a year is on the line, one soon learns who has benefited in the past and who hopes to benefit in the future. As I told Neal, I could give a damn about all the big muckey mucks, my concern will be with the 18000, who over the years have been pretty much screwed and forgotten, hopefully I can help turn the page on that process.
I dunno, PJ... isn't that how Emperor Palpatine got started? With overarching concern for little Naboo? I think it's just a matter of time before you reveal yourself.

Oh well, it's a small price to pay to get rid of Young Annakin and get the far-more-interesting Darth Vader.

Remember Montesquieu, don't let power corrupt you, I guess. Oh, and you should probably have fun.

Michael L

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:48 am

pj wrote:my concern will be with the 18000, who over the years have been pretty much screwed and forgotten, hopefully I can help turn the page on that process.
Anti-seize should help, "Have a GREAT DAY" ... and remember to torque them only a little. Like "we'll get to the stupid pothole on your stupid cul-de-sac within 24 weeks of next Tuesday."
:flower:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles