American Values

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Re: American Values

Post by glasseye » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:28 pm

Velokid1 wrote:The "sacrifice thing" is something I've been ruminating a lot about the past couple weeks. That is, are we... am I... really willing to make the sacrifices required to wrest control from the current power elite and to accommodate the human population that is growing so frightfully quickly?
What sacrifices are necessary? What can be done to "wrest control" ? They hold all the cards. They are the dealer.

A little off-topic, but just to demonstrate Canadian complicity in this situation: The CBC (our national, somewhat publicly-funded news organization) ran a story on New Years Day. They announced that the top earners in Canada had by lunchtime that day already earned more than the average Canadian would all year.

By any measure, that's greed. Pure and simple.
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:17 pm

glasseye wrote:
Velokid1 wrote:The "sacrifice thing" is something I've been ruminating a lot about the past couple weeks. That is, are we... am I... really willing to make the sacrifices required to wrest control from the current power elite and to accommodate the human population that is growing so frightfully quickly?
What sacrifices are necessary? What can be done to "wrest control" ? They hold all the cards. They are the dealer.

A little off-topic, but just to demonstrate Canadian complicity in this situation: The CBC (our national, somewhat publicly-funded news organization) ran a story on New Years Day. They announced that the top earners in Canada had by lunchtime that day already earned more than the average Canadian would all year.

By any measure, that's greed. Pure and simple.
That is remarkable. The top earners in the US have it in just past breakfast.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:03 am

Amskeptic wrote:
Velokid1 wrote:
We're obsessed with our perception of things being taken away from us and ignorant of the abundance and potential that surround us.

Me included.
Starts in childhood. Here's my new bumper sticker:
"Give your kid the damn cookie and save the world."
This is only relevant to this comment by Colin and not the thread as a whole, but I think about this a lot and today I thought of it when I read yet another headline about a parent getting so swept up in their own control issues that something tragic happens.

http://news.yahoo.com/2-charged-death-a ... 16169.html

Make your kid run for 3 hours because they ate some forbidden candy? I'm not sure how that made sense to these women.