Post by ruckman101 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:21 pm

Pop quiz? No fair, gimme time to study.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Re: American Values

Post by Sylvester » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:54 pm

Give back to those less fortunate than yourself.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:35 pm

Sylvester wrote:Give back to those less fortunate than yourself.
Impressive that that one appears first. =D>

More, please.

This isn't a troll, btw, this is an attempt to promote discussion.
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

Cindy
IAC Addict!

Post by Cindy » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:52 pm

Two words: Horatio Alger.

Cindy
“No one can tell what goes on in between the person you were and the person you become. No one can chart that blue and lonely section of hell. There are no maps of the change. You just come out the other side.
Or you don't.” ― Stephen King, The Stand

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:57 pm

Instant Gratification.
1975 Riviera we call "Spider-Man"

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:02 pm

Optimism and determination

Restlessness for change

what are Canadian values ?
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:39 pm

Oh man. Well, the pot hasn't quite melted that clearly. You have many ways to define "value" itself. Moral? Spiritual? A Hindu American has a different diet than Amish, eating itself can be a moral act. Values, too are fleeting. Evolving, we is.
I think we have ideals of ourselves baked into an apple pie, but how much of it is authentic? How true are we to even our own internal story about what a great person we are? The impossible perfect person.
Our dollar says "in God we trust" I suppose that's good enough. Covers all bases.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:03 pm

Honesty, integrity, compassion, tolerance, liberty, freedom, come to my mind. Of course there's a difference between the ideal and then the reality.

neal

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:21 pm

Cindy wrote:Two words: Horatio Alger.

Cindy
I don't get it.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Cindy
IAC Addict!

Post by Cindy » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:36 pm

Alger was a nineteenth-century American author who wrote novels with a rags-to-riches theme. He clearly believed (as did many of his readers) that anyone could succeed if he simply worked hard enough. The trouble with that theory (which is still a problem in our culture today) is that it places the responsibility for both success and failure solely on the individual. This means a rich man will be credited for his accomplishments, and a poor man will be blamed for his lack thereof. Regardless of the flaw in Alger's logic, he was wildly popular, suggesting that most Americans agreed with him. His work was a reflection of the prevailing American value--one steeped in a pick-yourself-up-by-your-bootstraps mentality.

Cindy
“No one can tell what goes on in between the person you were and the person you become. No one can chart that blue and lonely section of hell. There are no maps of the change. You just come out the other side.
Or you don't.” ― Stephen King, The Stand

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:42 pm

glasseye wrote:What are they? Gimme a list.
We value:

*individual initiative*

*charity*

*freedom from persecution*

Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:18 pm

Cindy wrote:Alger was a nineteenth-century American author who wrote novels with a rags-to-riches theme. He clearly believed (as did many of his readers) that anyone could succeed if he simply worked hard enough. The trouble with that theory (which is still a problem in our culture today) is that it places the responsibility for both success and failure solely on the individual. This means a rich man will be credited for his accomplishments, and a poor man will be blamed for his lack thereof. Regardless of the flaw in Alger's logic, he was wildly popular, suggesting that most Americans agreed with him. His work was a reflection of the prevailing American value--one steeped in a pick-yourself-up-by-your-bootstraps mentality.

Cindy
So he's to blame for that myth.

neal

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:33 pm

ruckman101 wrote:
Cindy wrote:Alger was a nineteenth-century American author who wrote novels with a rags-to-riches theme. He clearly believed (as did many of his readers) that anyone could succeed if he simply worked hard enough. The trouble with that theory (which is still a problem in our culture today) is that it places the responsibility for both success and failure solely on the individual. This means a rich man will be credited for his accomplishments, and a poor man will be blamed for his lack thereof. Regardless of the flaw in Alger's logic, he was wildly popular, suggesting that most Americans agreed with him. His work was a reflection of the prevailing American value--one steeped in a pick-yourself-up-by-your-bootstraps mentality.

Cindy

neal
There are people who have risen above their circumstances with breathtaking grit and determination ... no myth there. But I sure as heckity ain't letting the country-club Republicans co-opt them.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:31 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
ruckman101 wrote:

Cindy

neal
There are people who have risen above their circumstances with breathtaking grit and determination ... no myth there. But I sure as heckity ain't letting the country-club Republicans co-opt them.
Colin

True dat. Lookit that skinny Barack kid. He's done pretty good for himself.

neal