Federal & Local Law Enforcement Agencies Try to Take Family

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Federal & Local Law Enforcement Agencies Try to Take Family

Post by steve74baywin » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:47 am

Federal & Local Law Enforcement Agencies Try to Take Family Motel from Innocent Owners
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcQlF-zDEL0

http://www.themoralliberal.com/2011/10/ ... achusetts/

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Re: Federal & Local Law Enforcement Agencies Try to Take Fam

Post by RussellK » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:45 am

I don't like forfeiture laws. I think they are easily abused but do a quick google on the Caswell property and you'll see this isn't exactly an ideal poster child for the criticism of forfeiture laws. It looks like a problem property with years of drug dealing, prostitution, and crime. The owner's claim of working closely with the police somehow rings hollow to me. Criminals make the best tenants, they rarely complain. Oh but it's his right to be a slumlord isn't it?

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Post by steve74baywin » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:43 am

From what I read the percentage of people who stayed their who did crime was something like .005 percent. Seems like any business could be accused of being of good use to criminals at that percentage.
These crimes you mentioned are only crimes in this criminal system we have. Drugs and prostitution, whatever. Those are only crimes in a country of anal control freaks.
If the owner hurt someone, stole from someone, or killed someone then they could arrest him for that.
If he was found guilty, but from what I can see they don't even have to wait for him to be found guilty, you know, some people still think he will get a fair trial.

"Oh but it's his right to be a slumlord isn't it?"
I'm not sure why you posted that comment or what your trying to imply.
Care to elaborate on what you mean and the value of it?

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:58 am

Probably the finest crack house in Tweaksbury.

They will get their day in court to show cause why they should not be deprived of ownership.
79 VW Bus

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:29 pm

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:43 pm

Goodness, the establishment isn't generating any glowing reviews from patrons.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

static
IAC Addict!

Post by static » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:53 pm

steve74baywin wrote:From what I read the percentage of people who stayed their who did crime was something like .005 percent.
Two Days, Four Incidents, Nine Arrests at Motel Caswell

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:52 pm

Re: Federal & Local Law Enforcement Agencies Try to Take Family

Some kind of sensationalistic subject header, heh?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Post by steve74baywin » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:23 am

Amskeptic wrote:Re: Federal & Local Law Enforcement Agencies Try to Take Family

Some kind of sensationalistic subject header, heh?
Colin
I actually copied the whole subject from the article and pasted it, what you are seeing is a character limitation in your sites subject field, or a slip of my fingers.

Edited to add
But you may have hit on why the strong opposition right off the bat.

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Post by steve74baywin » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:33 am

RussellK wrote:
steve74baywin wrote: "Oh but it's his right to be a slumlord isn't it?"
I'm not sure why you posted that comment or what your trying to imply.
Care to elaborate on what you mean and the value of it?
Nothing more than a snarky jab at ranking individual rights supreme above all else even at the expense of common sense and decency. The value of it? Are we metering value now? Will beating dead horses carry a surcharge?
Common sense and decency.
Yes, for starters drug laws and prostitution isn't a clear mutually agreed upon crime. It is put into legislation by extremist.
Secondly, even if it is a crime, we have law enforcement paid for by our taxes to arrest those committing a crime. To expect the owners of a motel to some how police or interrogate their patrons to reduce or eliminate the crime going on is crazy. That is what the police are for.
To sum it up.
The crimes are stupid and shouldn't be.
We pay for the police to arrest those breaking the law.
To be okay with them taking property from the owners, becuase the police can't keep these crimes down, they want to take the property from the owners, this is just sad. Sometimes I think some of you will go along with anything if it is done by the system, or if I am against it.
This is really, really sad.
If I read the article right, the property can be taken and it is up to the owners to prove innocence by the time of the court date, or they are shit out of luck.

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:47 am

steve74baywin wrote:If I read the article right, the property can be taken and it is up to the owners to prove innocence by the time of the court date, or they are shit out of luck.
The original intent of the forfeiture laws made sense. Resources that were spent fighting drug lords could be recovered by seizing valuable assets. Unfortunately there has been some creative interpretation on the part of law enforcement and is the reason I don't care for the law as it's now applied. But if you're looking for a sympathetic character don't prop up the owner of a problem property whose only interest in the property is how much rent he can extract.

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Post by steve74baywin » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:07 am

Edited to remove a quote that had an insult.

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Post by steve74baywin » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:08 am

RussellK wrote: You really give yourself too much credit
steve74baywin wrote:If I read the article right, the property can be taken and it is up to the owners to prove innocence by the time of the court date, or they are shit out of luck.
That is one of the reasons I am against forfeiture laws. But if you're looking for a sympathetic character don't prop up the owner of a problem property whose only interest in the property is how much rent he can extract.
Maybe you give yourself too much credit. How do you know their only interest is in how much rent they can extract? Really, lowering them down to one simple degrading sentence is very sad.
Do you know of any other circumstances that may have reduced their customers or profits? Maybe their taxes have gone too high?
Do you think it is practical and do you want them to screen and interrogate all their customers to insure none of them will have paid for sex or use something illegal in a room they rent? Sounds impractical and unrealistic, poor excuse to take his property.
Typically, when an older ma and pop type hotel goes down hill and ends up with people like that using the rooms it's an indication of problems in the whole community in general. Poor economy is one of the biggest things to lead to drugs and prostitution like that. So the community is hard up leading more people wanting to do those things. They find the cheap motel as a good place. I do not see where letting local and federal police take his property and sell it as a correct and fair thing to do.
It doesn't matter if this isn't the poster child for good doobie type all american chirstian business owners, it's lack of merit still is.

Ryno
IAC Contributor
IAC Contributor

Post by Ryno » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:12 am

steve74baywin wrote: I give people on here too much credit all the time.
Hey Bartender!...Jobu needs a refill!
Ryan

1985 Westfalia