I Am Troy Davis

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Re: I Am Troy Davis

Post by Lanval » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:22 am

ruckman101 wrote:I suggested only restorative justice was the model prior to the British embracing and institutionalizing the retributive model and declaring all crimes as against the state? Oops, if that's the case, it certainly wasn't my intent.

Certainly models of justice have been debated from the moment of the first crime committed. My intent was to point out that the restorative model has been around and has a history of application, true, in primarily indigenous, tribal cultures including many original native american cultures of North America. You know, those considered "primitive" by invading "western" cultures who brought a retributive model to bear and all of the other fantastic advantages the the European "advanced" culture.

The restorative model is essentially of the tribal council, or circle model. All parties involved, which included the community, were brought to the circle and how to most appropriately address and resolve the transgressions were brought to discussion.

It strikes me as much more humane, rather than perpetuating violence by state sanctioned lynchings regardless of the wishes of the parties involved, which strikes me as barbaric.

Absolutely there are many barbaric justice models throughout history. To define a crime as against the state grants power from the people to the rulers. What other tipping of the balance of powers do the other retributive models grant, and to who? To what end?

The Restorative Justice model was brought to my attention when a victim interviewed by Amy Goodman on Democracy Now cited it as an alternative model that resonated with him as an alternative to the death penalty, a response that satisfied his opposition to the death penalty, despite the murder of his grandfather, and then years later, his daughter.

I'm unclear why an epic poem is cited as an argument of the validity of state sanctioned lynchings. Isn't the "eye for an eye" model obviously an example of the retributive model? We will all be blind. Now that strikes me as a myopic view.

neal
Because the poem points out that the illusion of a society that existed understood the value of restitution vs. retribution is just that: an illusion. In that case, you should rather ask why you're using a set of myths to justify a set of values that never existed, and certainly are problematic in the modern world as well? Why use these fictions in order to promote a current ideology? If the idea has merit, let's allow it to stand on it's own two feet, rather than create some a-historical ideology based in a version of the past that is created NOT out of any historical reality, but out of a desire to represent the modern world as unethical, fallen, and impure as compared to some earlier, halcyon past.

And because the poem is itself a meditation on the nature of what makes a good ruler in the Anglo-Saxon period; what must a ruler do? What are his obligations? How does he serve justice? These are all topics that the poem takes on in direct ways, giving us a historical insight into the nature of how that society functioned. One specific example is that Beowulf is given an extended speaking part in which he talks about how the restitutive nature of AS society leads inevitably to a society-wide conflict; weregild as a concept (an attempt at restitutive justice) fails ultimately because restitution alone doesn't satisfy the human condition. Anger remains, hatred simmers, and finally old arguments break out anew, plunging not just the individuals or even clans, but whole societies into war, chaos, and perhaps destruction.

I'm not against restitution by any means; as I said above, we overuse punishment, and underuse training/teaching. That doesn't absolve us, though, from dealing with the nastier versions of humanity in a way that makes us all safer, whatever the so-called "ethics" of the situation are. Ethics are not real, nor are they even meaningful; they change from place to place, time to time, people to people. Instead, let us ask "What is the greatest good, to the most people?" Because that answer frees us from the logical fallacies that ethics give rise to; because that enables us to cross those boundaries of place, time and culture more easily and more convincingly.

If you wish, take what I said this way: I've already asserted that I support your efforts to be more radical; it is my wish that I might challenge you to sharpen your thinking and hone your arguments so that when you encounter those who would bar your way, you might win them over through your careful use of the rhetorical tools at your disposal, rather than have your otherwise sane and humanist arguments swept aside due to a secondary error, assumption or flaw in your argument.

Best,

Michael L

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:24 am

Restitutive? Where did that come from. Sounds like a corporate wet dream, where everything has a dollar value and caps on that value can be legally established. What's the cash value of a life? Is Obama's worth more than mine?

Personally I'm not of the opinion that the value of a restorative approach is an illusion.

Maybe it's Hollywood and TV programming, the classic cop story where our "hero" has to work around the obstacles put in place by liberal sensibilities of reforming the misunderstood psychotic killer, misguided sensibilities to our "hero's" mind, to finally bring the psychotic killer to "justice", usually in a spray of bullets or some other horrific demise.

Now there's an illusion. Our "hero" as righteous judge, jury and executioner. It's a model our government is unfortunately currently fond of. Take Anwar al-Awlaki. Bin-Laden. The guy who designed the underwear bomber's bomb. What a feather in the cap of justice. There were tribunals after WWII. Not now. al-Qaida's mission has been successful. The US is now the largest terrorist organization on the planet. Death drones of justice and freedom. Oh, and look out, there may be acts of retribution. You could lose your eye.

A retributive justice system that victimizes additional people and perpetuates rather than reins in violence does not "do the greatest good to the most people". Restorative models have proven to fulfill that goal much more effectively.

"The restorative justice movement in North America originated from four main sources: aboriginal justice/teachings, faith communities, the prison abolition movement, and the alternative dispute resolution movement. These origins provide an insight into the rationale behind the restorative justice movement."

The retributive and restitutive models strike me as crafted by the state and powered elites.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:36 am

Lanval wrote:
ruckman101 wrote:....
Because the poem points out that the illusion of a society that existed understood the value of restitution vs. retribution is just that: an illusion. In that case, you should rather ask why you're using a set of myths to justify a set of values that never existed, and certainly are problematic in the modern world as well? Why use these fictions in order to promote a current ideology? If the idea has merit, let's allow it to stand on it's own two feet, rather than create some a-historical ideology based in a version of the past that is created NOT out of any historical reality, but out of a desire to represent the modern world as unethical, fallen, and impure as compared to some earlier, halcyon past.

This has been sticking in my craw all day. I tried to let it slide. I'm sorry Mike, your opinion here strikes me as overarching arrogance to assume you can frame and capsulate my "hidden agenda" against the "modern" world. Modern is as plastic a term as civilized. Framing and context.

Having not read or studied the poem in the context of credentialed college course work, I don't hold it as dear of a treatise of the failure of restitutive justice. Which did confuse me, as I suggested exploring a restorative justice model, not restitutive, which is a failed model, I agree.

And because the poem is itself a meditation on the nature of what makes a good ruler in the Anglo-Saxon period; what must a ruler do? What are his obligations? How does he serve justice? These are all topics that the poem takes on in direct ways, giving us a historical insight into the nature of how that society functioned. One specific example is that Beowulf is given an extended speaking part in which he talks about how the restitutive nature of AS society leads inevitably to a society-wide conflict; weregild as a concept (an attempt at restitutive justice) fails ultimately because restitution alone doesn't satisfy the human condition. Anger remains, hatred simmers, and finally old arguments break out anew, plunging not just the individuals or even clans, but whole societies into war, chaos, and perhaps destruction.

I agree with your last sentence. Look where we are. Restorative justice does attempt to satisfy the human condition, restitutive and retributive models do not. Don't tell Canada the restorative model is a myth.

Tell me, what are the obligations of a ruler?

I'm not against restitution by any means; as I said above, we overuse punishment, and underuse training/teaching. That doesn't absolve us, though, from dealing with the nastier versions of humanity in a way that makes us all safer, whatever the so-called "ethics" of the situation are. Ethics are not real, nor are they even meaningful; they change from place to place, time to time, people to people. Instead, let us ask "What is the greatest good, to the most people?" Because that answer frees us from the logical fallacies that ethics give rise to; because that enables us to cross those boundaries of place, time and culture more easily and more convincingly.

Wow, do you really believe ethics are not real, nor even meaningful? This may be the problem with the "individualist" model. People die without a social sphere. We are social animals. A social/community sphere necessitates a certain level of ethics, including the response to those who step outside those accepted societal ethics. Don't be lazy. Radicalism is more than recycling.

If you wish, take what I said this way: I've already asserted that I support your efforts to be more radical; it is my wish that I might challenge you to sharpen your thinking and hone your arguments so that when you encounter those who would bar your way, you might win them over through your careful use of the rhetorical tools at your disposal, rather than have your otherwise sane and humanist arguments swept aside due to a secondary error, assumption or flaw in your argument.

Best,

Michael L

Thanks for your support and unselfish efforts to edjumakate me.

neal e

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:59 pm

Neal,

Perhaps you (or others as they like) might explain why we should keep this guy around rather than give him the gas chamber?

http://blogs.ocweekly.com/navelgazing/2 ... _party.php

Michael L

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:16 pm

Violence isn't an answer to violence. It perptuates it, damaging all it touches. Explain to me why a Restorative approach would be misguided?

neal

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:42 pm

ruckman101 wrote:Violence isn't an answer to violence. It perptuates it, damaging all it touches.
Those are your opinions not facts ~ explain them.

ruckman101 wrote:Explain to me why a Restorative approach would be misguided?
Simple and self-evident:

1. No guarantee you can "restore" anything ~ the dead aren't coming back. You may not be able to fix him. The debts are unpayable.

2. If he's not dead, he can kill again. What answer could you give to the loved ones of the next dead person, should he kill again?

Neal ~ "Preserving his life was more important than the life of the family member you lost..."

Not much of an answer Neal ~ as an addendum, don't treat your answers as self-evident. They're not, nor do they even appear to be well thought out when you treat them thusly. I asked you for an explanation of why killing the murder is wrong. I await an actual answer. FWIW, better plan to define your terms and justify your beliefs, since I wont accept them de facto.

Mike

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:04 am

Let me explain further.

The death penalty adds victims, and re-victimizes the original victims. Violence is a tool of the weak. Knee-jerk justice that isn't. And a state sanctioned murder makes victim every citizen.

Violence is easy. Bringing all parties involved into a circle discussion of accountability and what next to mend the rift to everyone's satisfaction takes balls. You have to fucking talk about it, face to face. Much tougher. Working towards a resolution that satisfies those involved, and by default, the community at large, and even larger, recognizing the elements that brought the incident to a head in an effort to prevent similar breaches of the peace.

Most law is considered a crime against the state, thus even when parties involved reconcile to their satisfaction outside the legal system, that restitutive bent, the trial is still held. And the victimization continues.

And FWIW, I hope I haven't given you the impression that your communication here must conform to my expectations of acceptable framing of opinion and thought. That has never been my intention. I don't know that I need to justify my beliefs. They seem self evident to me. I'm just sharing them. The definition of most of the terms I use are readily available in a dictionary. Why are you attributing to me a grossly paraphrased assessment of my opinion that comes off to me as mocking?

This is a free speech forum on a vw enthusiasts site, not a thesis paper.

Violence is not the answer to violence. It seems as simple and self-evident as it gets.

peace,
neal

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:30 am

ruckman101 wrote:Let me explain further.

The death penalty adds victims, and re-victimizes the original victims. Violence is a tool of the weak. Knee-jerk justice that isn't. And a state sanctioned murder makes victim every citizen.

Violence is easy. Bringing all parties involved into a circle discussion of accountability and what next to mend the rift to everyone's satisfaction takes balls. You have to fucking talk about it, face to face. Much tougher. Working towards a resolution that satisfies those involved, and by default, the community at large, and even larger, recognizing the elements that brought the incident to a head in an effort to prevent similar breaches of the peace.

Most law is considered a crime against the state, thus even when parties involved reconcile to their satisfaction outside the legal system, that restitutive bent, the trial is still held. And the victimization continues.

And FWIW, I hope I haven't given you the impression that your communication here must conform to my expectations of acceptable framing of opinion and thought. That has never been my intention. I don't know that I need to justify my beliefs. They seem self evident to me. I'm just sharing them. The definition of most of the terms I use are readily available in a dictionary. Why are you attributing to me a grossly paraphrased assessment of my opinion that comes off to me as mocking?

Violence is not the answer to violence. It seems as simple and self-evident as it gets.

peace,
neal
So, now try and answer my first question ~ why shouldn't we kill the guy in question? I get your ideology; I was asking you to use that ideology to explain why a particular individual should be spared a given fate. The DA here stated that he would pursue the death penalty before charges were even filed. I want to know how the ideas you've elaborated above apply to a specific instance...

I'm having a hard time seeing any restorative justice would work here. What is the goal of such a thing? Let me be clear here; you argue: "Working towards a resolution that satisfies those involved, and by default, the community at large, and even larger, recognizing the elements that brought the incident to a head in an effort to prevent similar breaches of the peace."

The first two parts in italics I take together; you're arguing that we want a solution that makes those involved and the community happy ~ why are you excluding killing the criminal as one possible way to achieve that? If the death penalty makes those involved happy, and the citizens happy, then doesn't that meet your criteria?

The bold part I ask: Why can't we both eliminate social threats, AND try to prevent future instances? Why do you treat those as mutually exclusive?

Finally, your assumption that violence is inherently bad is highly problematic; it is NOT self-evident, though you treat it as such. There are too many instances of violence as a rational solution to belabor the point ~ the American Revolution and WW II are two immense examples. The local versions of ethical violence are too obvious to bear pointing out. Police work is the most common version.

So answer my question if you wish ~ I asked why we shouldn't kill a particular guy who IS going to be charged. What I got was a simplistic knee-jerk response, followed by a lecture. Still no answer. If you don't want to answer, don't; if you do, do.

Mike

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Post by steve74baywin » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:15 am

Perhaps the Scott Evans story is another fine example of what a society that uses force to the max will produce. Violence was used against him first by this collectivist system. His freedoms was stripped from him and violence and force was used by this doublethink society.
The Scott Evans story is an example of violence begetting violence.

What I feel would bring about the best results would be forgiveness. If this man was forgiven, and if this society apologized for using violent means to extract portions of his labor from him, that would produce the best overall outcome.
Forgiveness and love would be the best.
Violence would just produce more violence.

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:42 am

I don't know Mike. What to do with a mass murderer is a conundrum. Sure he's evil, bad and doesn't deserve to spend another day breathing free air or another minute around another human being for that matter but shouldn't a society strive to be better than the lowest denominator? Execution is the simple solution. Shouldn't we strive to be better? It seems to me the rationalization that some killings are justified may be the same rationalization Dekraai was using to justify his actions. Neal said it. Violence perpetuates violence. It reinforces the mindset of this country that you get what you want through brutality. So yes in the end if we eliminate Dekraai he's no threat to us. But I wonder at what cost.

Having said that I'm not in agreement we owe this man any kind of apology because of a socioeconomic condition. He killed people and has no justification that can be acceptable or forgiven.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:00 pm

Lanval wrote:

peace,
neal
So, now try and answer my first question ~ why shouldn't we kill the guy in question? I get your ideology; I was asking you to use that ideology to explain why a particular individual should be spared a given fate. The DA here stated that he would pursue the death penalty before charges were even filed. I want to know how the ideas you've elaborated above apply to a specific instance...

Must I repeat myself? Why try to put out the fire by throwing gasoline onto it? The DA has already passed sentence? I think Russell gets it. Why shouldn't we strive to be better than the lowest common denominator? A murder is a murder, state sanctioned or not. The death penalty isn't a responsible or civilized response. It is barbaric.

I'm having a hard time seeing any restorative justice would work here. What is the goal of such a thing? Let me be clear here; you argue: "Working towards a resolution that satisfies those involved, and by default, the community at large, and even larger, recognizing the elements that brought the incident to a head in an effort to prevent similar breaches of the peace."

The first two parts in italics I take together; you're arguing that we want a solution that makes those involved and the community happy ~ why are you excluding killing the criminal as one possible way to achieve that? If the death penalty makes those involved happy, and the citizens happy, then doesn't that meet your criteria?

The bold part I ask: Why can't we both eliminate social threats, AND try to prevent future instances? Why do you treat those as mutually exclusive?

The death penalty seems an anti-thematic result of the restorative justice model. I can't see the death penalty being the resolution of a restorative justice process. I don't recall excluding it as a result. The restorative justice model does attempt to eliminate social threats AND prevent further instances. I'm not sure where you got the notion I've treated them as mutually exclusive.

Finally, your assumption that violence is inherently bad is highly problematic; it is NOT self-evident, though you treat it as such. There are too many instances of violence as a rational solution to belabor the point ~ the American Revolution and WW II are two immense examples. The local versions of ethical violence are too obvious to bear pointing out. Police work is the most common version.

Violence is an emotional solution, not rational by any stretch of the imagination. You've cited a couple wars as examples. Those are political struggles, not elements of a justice system. And again, negotiations and diplomacy take more balls and are the morally higher response than sacrificing youth. Violence isn't ethical, the results are always tragic, and if resorted to, is ideally a last resort. With the police, it often isn't a last resort. Take the Occupy protests. With no cause for a violent response, the police seem befuddled and confused. It would seem violence is the only recourse they understand. Men with guns, as Steve would say.

So answer my question if you wish ~ I asked why we shouldn't kill a particular guy who IS going to be charged. What I got was a simplistic knee-jerk response, followed by a lecture. Still no answer. If you don't want to answer, don't; if you do, do.

Mike
In answer to your question, why we shouldn't kill a particular guy who IS going to be charged. Well, for one, he hasn't even been charged yet. I would hope you would wait for the trial results rather than executing a sentence before the trial. That would be a lynching by definition. But beyond that is the whole layering on of an ever expanding circle of victims I've attempted to communicate before.

So bring all parties together for discussion and resolution of the injustices committed to help restore justice for everyone while mitigating further violence and victimization, mending and growing insight into how to prevent further similar incidents in the future, or hang 'em high!

Which model again is the simplistic knee-jerk response?

The death penalty victimizes the perpetrator and gives them an easy out while re-victimizing the victims, adding all citizens, incarcerators, judges, and executioners to that pool of victims. State/police assisted suicide. With life in prison, the perp must live every day chewing on the consequences of their actions. Cheaper than the death penalty, too.

Crime is a reflection of the failure of a society to adequately provide for the needs of every individual.

Just because something is legal there is no guarantee that it is morally right.

After 9/11, folks were lined up to enlist in the armed services. My Vietnam vet co-worker summed it up succinctly. "None of those people would be in those lines if they had ever actually killed someone." Killing another leaves a deep psychic scar on an individual, regardless of how "right" the circumstances are.

neal

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:51 pm

ruckman101 wrote:
Lanval wrote:

peace,
neal

Must I repeat myself? Why try to put out the fire by throwing gasoline onto it? The DA has already passed sentence? I think Russell gets it. Why shouldn't we strive to be better than the lowest common denominator? A murder is a murder, state sanctioned or not. The death penalty isn't a responsible or civilized response. It is barbaric.

The death penalty seems an anti-thematic result of the restorative justice model. I can't see the death penalty being the resolution of a restorative justice process. I don't recall excluding it as a result. The restorative justice model does attempt to eliminate social threats AND prevent further instances. I'm not sure where you got the notion I've treated them as mutually exclusive.

Violence is an emotional solution, not rational by any stretch of the imagination. You've cited a couple wars as examples. Those are political struggles, not elements of a justice system. And again, negotiations and diplomacy take more balls and are the morally higher response than sacrificing youth. Violence isn't ethical, the results are always tragic, and if resorted to, is ideally a last resort. With the police, it often isn't a last resort. Take the Occupy protests. With no cause for a violent response, the police seem befuddled and confused. It would seem violence is the only recourse they understand. Men with guns, as Steve would say.

Mike
In answer to your question, why we shouldn't kill a particular guy who IS going to be charged. Well, for one, he hasn't even been charged yet. I would hope you would wait for the trial results rather than executing a sentence before the trial. That would be a lynching by definition. But beyond that is the whole layering on of an ever expanding circle of victims I've attempted to communicate before.

So bring all parties together for discussion and resolution of the injustices committed to help restore justice for everyone while mitigating further violence and victimization, mending and growing insight into how to prevent further similar incidents in the future, or hang 'em high!

Which model again is the simplistic knee-jerk response?

The death penalty victimizes the perpetrator and gives them an easy out while re-victimizing the victims, adding all citizens, incarcerators, judges, and executioners to that pool of victims. State/police assisted suicide. With life in prison, the perp must live every day chewing on the consequences of their actions. Cheaper than the death penalty, too.

Crime is a reflection of the failure of a society to adequately provide for the needs of every individual.

Just because something is legal there is no guarantee that it is morally right.

After 9/11, folks were lined up to enlist in the armed services. My Vietnam vet co-worker summed it up succinctly. "None of those people would be in those lines if they had ever actually killed someone." Killing another leaves a deep psychic scar on an individual, regardless of how "right" the circumstances are.

neal
Platitudes and circular logic while avoiding the question ~ thanks. I only posed the question to prove a point to Colin, so you may go back to whatever it is you usually do.

Mike

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:58 pm

I disagree with your assessment feeling personally I have answered your question often and repeatedly. I'm not sure what I'm missing. Must be wallowing in my strong emotional opposition to the death penalty.

But wait, I have one more.

It is morally wrong to correct a morally wrong act with a morally wrong act.

neal

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:01 am

Well that was manipulative and dismissive all in one package.

Neal its an argument that you can't move forward on. Lanval offers one dead convict and the justification he won't hurt anyone anymore and asks what in your hand beats that. Nothing. Nothing else has the absolute of an execution and that's what death penalty advocates know and hang their hats on.

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:42 am

Don't you realize that emotions and morals are illogical and don't count? God made a huge oversight when he gave us a heart, intuition, instincts, emotions. Only science and logic are allowed on the altar. Unless you can construct a proper algebraic justification for your opinions, they don't count. You may think that both logic and heart count, but you're wrong. And don't even try to use the failure of our current penal system to prove your point.