Lanval, Declaration, history going forward

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Lanval, Declaration, history going forward

Post by steve74baywin » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:46 am

It has been mentioned in several threads about an unfinished discussion in several other threads. This one has been commented on more.
To help those that don't have the time to go back and find them, threads do get buried very quickly, I will summarize and get it started again.
Here is the start of it. From the "Again, raw food raid" thread.
Lanval wrote: My point in the "history lesson" is that you are incorrect, and Washington, Hamilton, etc. (the guys who created the gov't you speak of) proved it by their actions and statements. Sorry, you're wrong.

The rule of a just law according to the will of the people was always, and has always, been the end goal of the American democratic experiment. You are not allowed to do whatever you want, nor is the gov't forbidden from enforcing the rules as passed by the legitimate representatives of the people ~ the state and federal legislative bodies.

The issue of the revolution was not "freedom" as you seem to think, but the justness of Authoritarian, monarchical rule. Remember "No taxation without representation"? Did you notice it wasn't just "No taxation"? The Founding Fathers NEVER questioned the right of the gov't to tax; it only questioned the right of the gov't to tax without representation.

The simple fact is that the Founding Fathers always understood the need to govern my majority rule, not by absolutism. The individual rights you argue for were always subject to the needs of representative democracy, in which the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

Mike
The initial disagreement was that I was saying the government over stepped it's authority and what it does now is in violation of Natural rights and the founding of this country and that at some point we violated the original intent. You are suggesting I am wrong and do not know history.

I proceeded to state how there are limitations on what the government can do.
Looking at things in a chronological order there is the Declaration of Independence.
This was written to the King of England and also sent to the colonies, posted and in many cases read out loud to the public. It is the document that the colonies and or peasants saw and read. It would be what they went to war for. It is what told them why they should fight the King. It is probably safe to say most humans who fought against the King of England did so under the guise of what the Declaration said.
I have asserted how the Declaration of Independence is what the humans living here at that time had to go by to show them what we were fighting for. It says things like-
to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it,
According to what I posted from the Declaration of Independence governments are instituted among men deriving their powers from the consent of the governed to protect self-evident, unalienable Rights, among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

I suggested that we start here, seeing how this the document that we used to show both the King and the colonist why we were fighting. I suggest we clarify what this means, and then proceed to the next document, and then move on from there.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Re: Lanval, Declaration, history going forward

Post by ruckman101 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:57 am

steve74baywin wrote:.....
Looking at things in a chronological order there is the Declaration of Independence.
This was written to the King of England and also sent to the colonies, posted and in many cases read out loud to the public. It is the document that the colonies and or peasants saw and read. It would be what they went to war for. It is what told them why they should fight the King. It is probably safe to say most humans who fought against the King of England did so under the guise of what the Declaration said.
I have asserted how the Declaration of Independence is what the humans living here at that time had to go by to show them what we were fighting for. .......
Reading was still a skill generally only held by the wealthy. It was changing, what with the penny presses, but as for the reasons people decided to pick up a gun and force their ideas onto the King, I'll wager it was much messier than the simplistic ideals you've cited. It was a political process, and probably the Declaration was written in response to that process, rather than being the initiator. People still grumble about taxes.

From wikipedia: "The Declaration was ultimately a formal explanation of why Congress had voted on July 2 to declare independence from Great Britain, more than a year after the outbreak of the American Revolutionary War."

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:45 pm

Why is the Declaration of Independence a "Holy Grail" that is perfect in it's expression, whereas the Constitution, which came later, is debased and evidence of the failed policies of the signers of the Declaration? Why do you treat one historical document as "true" or "golden" while the other is "flawed"? That sort of thinking is a false dichotomy. Neither is more or less "true" than the other.

One, however, is later. It represents the changed thinking of the same men, after 10 hard years of governance under the Articles of Confederation. Thus, the Constitution supersedes the Declaration as the more "True" ~ it represents the most recent thinking of the Founders at the time.

Sorry, your reliance upon the Declaration as some kind of "Golden Ruler" against which all other gov't actions are measured is both silly and factually wrong. Those men amended their thinking based upon circumstances and the need to best govern according to the principles laid out in the in Declaration. Until you understand that, there's nothing to talk about. Treating the Declaration as a perfect expression, and the Constitution as some kind of trick gets you nowhere with me, because no reasonable person, Libertarian or otherwise, agrees with that interpretation.

Mike

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:34 pm

And if these men's intent truly evolved in any significant way in just that ten year period, just imagine how much it would have changed over 50 years. Or 250 years.

Treating the Constitution with respect is critical for our nation; treating it as gospel is foolish. They were men, not gods. And if they were truly worth their salt, I'm betting they'd say the same thing if they were here today.

And they would most certainly be acvw owners.

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Post by steve74baywin » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:59 am

Basically Lanval, I reserve the right. If this government evolves to ten times worse than it is today say telling me who I can marry and who I can talk to. I am not going to say, well, these great man or this gov knows what is right, whatever they say is true, good and correct. I will just obey it. I'm sorry, I actually relate quite well to the self evident inherent rights. In a free society I should be able to wish for that at least.

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:33 am

Velokid1 wrote:
Yes and they were a creative and imaginative group and I think they probably smoked weed!

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:20 am

RussellK wrote:
Velokid1 wrote:
Yes and they were a creative and imaginative group and I think they probably smoked weed!
It's pretty well known, I think, that Jefferson grew hemp. Don't think you can smoke it though...

Still, a pretty creative bunch; who knows what they used to drink with supper!

Mike

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:28 am

They were brewers.
1975 Riviera we call "Spider-Man"

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:44 am

I think both documents were printed onto hemp paper.

Hemp wasn't illegal yet. It took a couple of corps to make it illegal. Now weed is a useful tool to incarcerate those deemed hostile.

neal

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:17 pm

ruckman101 wrote:I think both documents were printed onto hemp paper.

Hemp wasn't illegal yet. It took a couple of corps to make it illegal. Now weed is a useful tool to incarcerate those deemed hostile.

neal
Temporary thread hijack. Is the hemp they make rope, paper and salad dressing from the same hemp that gets smoked?

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:37 pm

The whole taxation thing came about from England taxing the makings of rum which were imported from the French colonies to make rum. Rum was the money in colonial Americas. The English colonists made lots and lots of rum to sell and trade...all ships used rum to pay wages along with money to the sailors, soldiers were paid in rum too. The French colonies in the caribbean were sugar plantations and the leftovers of sugar cane production were exported to the Americas and made into Rum. The English wanted to squeeze the French (since they were at war) so they taxed the imports a lot to try to stop the trade with the colonists and the French. That started the revolt in the colonies who saw this as a real blow to their rum market and profits. The Tea Party came later on...
This is from the book "A History of the World in 6 Glasses".
I look at "Laws" as agreements that everybody agrees to live by. Back in the 1700's you could just ride off into the west and start a farm and not be bothered by anyone. Try that today, just too many people so we make more laws so form so sort of order out of the chaos.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

poptop tom
Old School!

Post by poptop tom » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:40 pm

RussellK wrote:
ruckman101 wrote:I think both documents were printed onto hemp paper.

neal
Temporary thread hijack. Is the hemp they make rope, paper and salad dressing from the same hemp that gets smoked?
Yes and no. They are both made from the sativa plant. Industrial hemp is bred to maximize fiber, seed and/or oil, while marijuana varieties seek to maximize THC. And this is done during the grow process obviously.
Mr. Blotto wrote, "Boy - thanks for the offer, but a month in poptop tom's world means 5 years"

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:18 pm

Kind of true. Hemp cannabis has extremely low levels of psychoactive chemicals and extremely long and strong fibers and drug cannabis has a relatively high level of psychoactive chemicals with no concern at all for the physical properties of its fibers. The characteristics of both hemp cannabis and drug cannabis are the result of long-term breeding over hundreds and hundreds of generations, which is SORTA the same as the growing process, but not really. Breeding takes multiple generations, and when you're starting with a population of plants that is at the opposite end of spectrum from where you want to take them, we're talking about a 50 year breeding project. In other words, taking a batch of hemp cannabis seeds and trying to selectively breed them so that you ended up with a population of plants with high levels of psychoactive chemicals would be a monumental task, and probably impossible. Same with turn drug varietals of cannabis into hemp plants via selective breeding. In other words, the two plants are very, very dissimilar. But treated the same by law.

There is a great documentary on cannabis that came out a year or two ago called "The Union: The Business Behind Getting High." IMO there is no further need for another documentary to be made anytime soon. They nailed it. Well-done, fact-based, infused with humor and sarcasm but NOT reliant on hyperbole or propaganda. This hemp vs drug cannabis issue is addressed very succinctly in the first 15 minutes of the film and it's available to watch on YouTube (or Netflix if you have it). Free.

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Post by steve74baywin » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:50 am

Lanval wrote:Why is the Declaration of Independence a "Holy Grail" that is perfect in it's expression, whereas the Constitution, which came later, is debased and evidence of the failed policies of the signers of the Declaration? Why do you treat one historical document as "true" or "golden" while the other is "flawed"? That sort of thinking is a false dichotomy. Neither is more or less "true" than the other.

One, however, is later. It represents the changed thinking of the same men, after 10 hard years of governance under the Articles of Confederation. Thus, the Constitution supersedes the Declaration as the more "True" ~ it represents the most recent thinking of the Founders at the time.
I was willing to go over the Declaration and Constitution sentence by sentence with you, but you don't seem to want to. I could take that as defeat on your part. You mentioned "represents the changed thinking", I say that is pretty sad if what you say is true. They said one thing to get people to fight, and then they change their thinking when it comes to something like Liberty and Freedom? Who the hell are they to do such a thing? They are just men, that sounds criminal. It sounds like that tactic might still be done today. 9/11, Afgan, Iraq, Lybia comes to mind, one thing before the war, and then a changing story. However, if we went step by step or sentence by sentence I think we'd find what you state to be false. These men did not change their thinking much when they wrote the constitution. They seemed to still abide by the same things they told the people. The major changes that are totally wrong all happened after 1900.

Lanval wrote:Sorry, your reliance upon the Declaration as some kind of "Golden Ruler" against which all other gov't actions are measured is both silly and factually wrong. Those men amended their thinking based upon circumstances and the need to best govern according to the principles laid out in the in Declaration. Until you understand that, there's nothing to talk about. Treating the Declaration as a perfect expression, and the Constitution as some kind of trick gets you nowhere with me, because no reasonable person, Libertarian or otherwise, agrees with that interpretation.
Mike
I probably couldn't disagree more. The doc has it's merit and you can't choose to sweep portions of it under the rug. Those men really didn't contradict the dec when they wrote the Constitution, at least not much, and if they did it was wrong. It was you that stated they changed, and I said if that is so maybe that is the start of the conspiracy or error. I then said let's discuss it to find out when they veered from the Declaration, but you have yet to do that.

So, if I wasn't clear when I started this thread, it was to have a discussion of the Dec, Const, and founding of this country in chronological order..

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:48 am

Hey hey hey, in an open and free society, how does one person have the right to dictate to others the framing of a discussion? And why this emphasis on "winning"? A discussion is just that, a discussion. Must everything be win/lose? If so, we have all already lost.

neal