9/11 conspiracy theories, Do they hold any water?

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Re: 9/11 conspiracy theories, Do they hold any water?

Post by steve74baywin » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:46 am

RussellK wrote:Yeah right. If Bin Laden had truly given a care about the people of Palestine he'd have figured out a way to spend his fortune raising them from their misery. He could been an icon of hope. Instead he chose to be an icon of death and destruction and the people of Palestine still suffer.
That certainly would have been a better thing to do. Everybody is different, I would have loved to see him do what you suggest instead of what he did, if he did it.
The way his family rules in Saudi, I can see him using violence towards us instead of what you suggest. A Ghandi he was not.
Our actions certainly could have been better too. Why revenge? It would have been nice to see us do things to prevent it in the future, but to bomb the crap out of a country or two makes us not much different than him.
Crazy world we live in.
This comes to my mind.
Violence begets violence.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:40 am

The slipper has no teeth.

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:30 pm

steve74baywin wrote: So welcome my friend Colin, nice to have you in the club. It really isn't that bad being in
the club. :flower:
Here's another member of that club:

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld ... 5327.story

Here are some quotes from his speech yesterday:

"Who used the mysterious September 11 incident as a pretext to attack Afghanistan and Iraq , killing, injuring, and displacing millions in two countries with the ultimate goal of bringing into its domination the Middle East and its oil resources?"

and later:

"They tolerate no question or criticism, and instead of presenting a reason for their violations, they always put themselves in the position of a claimant. By using their imperialistic media network which is under the influence of colonialism they threaten anyone who questions the Holocaust and the September 11 event with sanctions and military action.

Last year, when the need to form a fact-finding team to undertake a thorough investigation concerning the hidden elements involved in September 11 incident was brought up; an idea also endorsed by all independent governments and nations as well as by the majority in the United States, my country and myself came under pressure and threat by the government of the United States.

Instead of assigning a fact-finding team, they killed the main perpetrator and threw his body into the sea.

Would it not have been reasonable to bring to justice and openly bring to trial the main perpetrator of the incident in order to identify the elements behind the safe space provided for the invading aircraft to attack the twin world trade towers?

Why should it not have been allowed to bring him to trial to help recognize those who launched terrorist groups and brought wars and other miseries into the region?

Is there any classified information that must be kept secret?"

Here's the link to the full text: http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/218464/ ... h-text.htm

FWIW, he's wrong too.

Mike

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:47 am

Lanval wrote:

Mike

Not in my book.

neal

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:17 am

Lanval wrote:
steve74baywin wrote: So welcome my friend Colin, nice to have you in the club. It really isn't that bad being in

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld ... 5327.story

Here are some quotes from his speech yesterday:

"Who used the mysterious September 11 incident as a pretext to attack Afghanistan and Iraq , killing, injuring, and displacing millions in two countries with the ultimate goal of bringing into its domination the Middle East and its oil resources?"

and later:

"They tolerate no question or criticism, and instead of presenting a reason for their violations, they always put themselves in the position of a claimant. By using their imperialistic media network which is under the influence of colonialism they threaten anyone who questions the Holocaust and the September 11 event with sanctions and military action.

Last year, when the need to form a fact-finding team to undertake a thorough investigation concerning the hidden elements involved in September 11 incident was brought up; an idea also endorsed by all independent governments and nations as well as by the majority in the United States, my country and myself came under pressure and threat by the government of the United States.

Instead of assigning a fact-finding team, they killed the main perpetrator and threw his body into the sea.

Would it not have been reasonable to bring to justice and openly bring to trial the main perpetrator of the incident in order to identify the elements behind the safe space provided for the invading aircraft to attack the twin world trade towers?

Why should it not have been allowed to bring him to trial to help recognize those who launched terrorist groups and brought wars and other miseries into the region?

Here's the link to the full text: http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/218464/ ... h-text.htm

FWIW, he's wrong too.

Mike
Oh that guy.

The sad part is that most of that resonates as truth to me. Imperialism and all. Chavez can pour it on, too. Poor Gaddafi jumped the shark and look at what's happened. Our nation would suck right up to this guy, too, if given a chance. The "Arab Spring" phenom seems an indictment of policy that echoes the frustrations and accusations that that guy expressed, albeit personally politically motivated, like Gaddafi and Chavez. Saviours all. Big Daddies. They know best.

But I separate the personally politically motivated egos from historical realities that point to the accuracy of the rhetoric.

feel free to eviscerate
neal

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:28 pm

Lanval wrote:
Geeze.
I refuse to be indoctrinated into groups. I don't want people jumping to preemptive conclusions about my "beliefs" after they have assigned me membership.

I have technical questions that need technical answers before I can draw any conclusions.

Right now, I am looking at a question that really stymies these "the fire did it" conclusions. It does not mean that I am an anti-government conspiracist follower of bin Laden. Good grief. Apparently, anyone who has attempted to braze large objects will know what I am talking about, the sheer mass of the inner skeleton of the World Trade Center made it a phenomenal heat-sink. Heat from the fire of remaining jet fuel + office furniture and carpet, was just too damn insufficient to cause such a global collapse of the vertical welded 1 5/8" thick beams in only 102 minutes.

Before you brand me a nutcase, I own the same mind when trying to figure out your car's issues. I do not jump to fast conclusions. I look at the evidence in front of me. You can tell me that you just know that it can't be out of gas, you just filled it four days ago, and I will still pursue the "out of gas" hypothesis if the symptoms warrant.

Again, I do not buy that these three buildings collapsed into tidy piles because of a jet fuel fire in the case of the towers, and some diesel fuel tanks in WTC 7. Serious engineers have staked their reputations and self-respect in the face of many who want a tidy explanation for mysteries that the official reports did not even touch. 1,000 pages of NIST report devoted only a half page to the actual collapse with a concluding statement that said, in so many words, "we cannot explain why the buildings came down." That happens to be where I am stuck.

In no case in this conversation, I have had to resort to calling others here ridiculous. If you happen to accept the official explanation, fine. If you could answer my question not because somebody else said so, but because you can point me to an engineering explanation that shows how the heat could get so concentrated that the vertical beams collapsed (remember, they were already supporting all the weight happily enough just three stories below the fire, and they all collapsed with perfect synchronicity far from the impact, I would read it with great curiosity.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:12 pm

Colin,

There are so many things wrong with your thinking here, it's hard to pin them down. Let's stick with the basics.

Downward force:

Once the upper stories begin to collapse, the downward force of the weight is many, many times the static force of the building. The structural supports were not intended to manage those kinds of forces. Period.

The steel wasn't melted. Perhaps you should read the Pop Mech article again; the jet fuel burned at a temp guaranteed to reduce the structural strength of the steel 50% or more. At that level, collapse is all but guaranteed. The jet fuel wasn't the only thing burning, either; other stuff continued to burn. The NIST report, of which you are bizarrely dismissive, points out that following the impact of the jets, there were pockets of fire in excess of 1800 degrees, or 75% of the temperature necessary to melt steel,

What is your basis for stating the lower stories were "happily" supporting anything? On the contrary, they were experience increasing stress from the upper impact damage, changing weight distributions, increasing heat and so on. Is it your experience that failure is immediate and systemic in structural systems, or that failure begins in one point of impact and then radiates outward? Now imagine that we're not talking about impact, but a long term stress event.

Colin, I'm not going to go do the work; it's already been done. For example, regarding WTC7 and your assertions that there was something amiss in its failure/collapse:

"According to NIST, there was one primary reason for the building's failure: In an unusual design, the columns near the visible kinks were carrying exceptionally large loads, roughly 2000 sq. ft. of floor area for each floor. 'What our preliminary analysis has shown is that if you take out just one column on one of the lower floors,' Sunder notes, 'it could cause a vertical progression of collapse so that the entire section comes down.'

There are two other possible contributing factors still under investigation: First, trusses on the fifth and seventh floors were designed to transfer loads from one set of columns to another. With columns on the south face apparently damaged, high stresses would likely have been communicated to columns on the building's other faces, thereby exceeding their load-bearing capacities.

Second, a fifth-floor fire burned for up to 7 hours. There was no firefighting in WTC 7,' Sunder says. Investigators believe the fire was fed by tanks of diesel fuel that many tenants used to run emergency generators. Most tanks throughout the building were fairly small, but a generator on the fifth floor was connected to a large tank in the basement via a pressurized line. Says Sunder: 'Our current working hypothesis is that this pressurized line was supplying fuel [to the fire] for a long period of time.'"

You said before that there was no precedent for this event, building don't just collapse. Well, it turn out they do, especially if they have an "unusual design" which creates singular (as in not reproducible in other buildings with different designs) problems and failures.

I've pointed you to numerous sources that respond to your concerns at precisely the level you ask for. You simply dismiss those answers because you don't like them; note your own language:

"Again, I do not buy that these three buildings collapsed..."

You don't say "it's not true"; you say you don't "buy" it. Whether you "buy" (understood to mean "believe" or "accept") the answers has no bearing on the truth values of those answers.

As a conclusion (let us please, please conclude this) the original question was "do conspiracy theories hold water" ~ since you're actively rejecting the notion that you're a "conspiracy nut", can we agree that the answer to the original question must be "no"? I ask on the basis that if you don't have enough "Questions" to warrant a claim of conspiracy, then you must agree that the conspiracy theories themselves don't hold water.

Mike
ExtremelypuzzledbyColin

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:31 pm

Popular Mechanics ?? are you kidding me ? why would they jeopardize their mainstream corporate sponsorship by venturing outside of the narrow confines of 'politically-correct and acceptable viewpoints'' ??

Corporate interests own the media as they do the gov....just in case you havent noticed yet ...
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:59 pm

dingo wrote:Popular Mechanics ?? are you kidding me ? why would they jeopardize their mainstream corporate sponsorship by venturing outside of the narrow confines of 'politically-correct and acceptable viewpoints'' ??

Corporate interests own the media as they do the gov....just in case you havent noticed yet ...
That's the problem with conspiracy theories right there... contradiction to theory = proof of theory. The facts are the facts, doesn't matter who states them. As a corollary; conspiracy theorist only accept the statements of other conspiracy theorists as true; all others are co-opted by the invisible cabal that runs everything.

From a nice little article in Wired which explains why we have the phrase cognitive dissonance:

"The theory of cognitive dissonance – one of most influential theories in social psychology – was pioneered by Leon Festinger, at the University of Minnesota. In the summer of 1954, Festinger was reading the morning newspaper when he encountered a short article about Marion Keech, a housewife in suburban Minneapolis who was convinced that the apocalypse was coming. (Keech was a pseudonym.) She had started getting messages from aliens a few years before, but now the messages were getting eerily specific. According to Sananda, an extra-terrestrial from the planet Clarion who was in regular contact with Keech, human civilization would be destroyed by a massive flood at midnight on December 20, 1954.

Keech’s sci-fi prophecy soon gained a small band of followers. They trusted her divinations, and marked the date of Armageddon on their calendars. Many of them quit their jobs and sold their homes. The cultists didn’t bother buying Christmas presents or making arrangements for New Years Eve, since nothing would exist by then.

Festinger immediately realized that Keech would make a great research subject. He decided to infiltrate the group by pretending to be a true believer. What Festinger wanted to study was the reaction of the cultists on the morning of December 21, when the world wasn’t destroyed and no spaceship appeared. Would Keech recant? What would happen when her prophesy failed?

On the night of December 20, Keech’s followers gathered in her home and waited for instructions from the aliens. Midnight approached. When the clock read 12:01 and there were still no aliens, the cultists began to worry. A few began to cry. The aliens had let them down. But then Keech received a new telegram from outer space, which she quickly transcribed on her notepad. “This little group sitting all night long had spread so much light,” the aliens told her, “that god saved the world from destruction. Not since the beginning of time upon this Earth has there been such a force of Good and light as now floods this room.” In other words, it was their stubborn faith that had prevented the apocalypse. Although Keech’s predictions had been falsified, the group was now more convinced than ever that the aliens were real. They began proselytizing to others, sending out press releases and recruiting new believers. This is how they reacted to the dissonance of being wrong: by becoming even more certain that they were right.

There is, of course, something deeply troubling about cognitive dissonance, since it suggests that we double-down on our beliefs in light of conflicting evidence. While neuroscientists have begun to decipher the anatomy of this mental flaw – you can blame your anterior cingulate cortex – I sometimes worry that the internet is making things worse. Although we’re all vulnerable to cognitive dissonance (and the paranoid style has always been a loud presence in American politics) we seem to squander ever more oxygen on worthless conversations about Obama’s birth certificate and the North American Union. After all, thanks to Google we can find “evidence” in support of practically any belief. If you can imagine the conspiracy theory, there is a website out there ardently promoting it, and a clan of fellow believers who share your peculiar obsession with fluoridated drinking water and the New World Order. The end result is that we never have to recant. We can always find another link to “prove” that the government is trying to “zombify” us, or that aliens are going to destroy the earth at midnight." [emphasis mine]

Far from being skeptical, conspiracy theory is most closely related to religion; belief has nothing to do with fact or truth.

Mike

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:02 pm

Facts are facts? No. Take history. Whitewashed by the victors or those in power. No matter how many times a lie is repeated, it is still a lie. Take the climate change issue, or our foreign policies, although I guess that would lump into history. How long did it take the tobacco industry to finally acknowledge the negative health consequences of their products? They certainly had plenty of "facts" to bolster their claims that there were none.

neal

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:57 pm

Lanval wrote: conspiracy theorist only accept the statements of other conspiracy theorists as true; all others are co-opted by the invisible cabal that runs everything.
Good.

That lets me ( and a few others ) off the hook as "conspiracy theorists", because we don't "only accept the statements of other conspiracy theorists as true"

Please don't lump everyone together. We're individuals. We have our own ideas and questions.
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:30 pm

Lanval wrote:Colin,

There are so many things wrong with your thinking here, it's hard to pin them down. Let's stick with the basics.

Downward force:

Once the upper stories begin to collapse, the downward force of the weight is many, many times the static force of the building. The structural supports were not intended to manage those kinds of forces. Period.
So it's the dynamic load of all those floors crashing vertically down that caused each successive floor to collapse? Then why don't we see a pancake of floors arranged around the central core? That central core was massive.
The steel wasn't melted. Perhaps you should read the Pop Mech article again; the jet fuel burned at a temp guaranteed to reduce the structural strength of the steel 50% or more. At that level, collapse is all but guaranteed. The jet fuel wasn't the only thing burning, either; other stuff continued to burn. The NIST report, of which you are bizarrely dismissive, points out that following the impact of the jets, there were pockets of fire in excess of 1800 degrees, or 75% of the temperature necessary to melt steel,
The above paragraph begins with the statement that "The steel wasn't melted". OK, fine. Then what was that orange-yellow liquid pouring from the windows? What was that stuff dripping from the beams and laying in pools for weeks after? A reservoir of heat so large and intense that NASA commented on it.
What is your basis for stating the lower stories were "happily" supporting anything? On the contrary, they were experience increasing stress from the upper impact damage, changing weight distributions, increasing heat and so on. Is it your experience that failure is immediate and systemic in structural systems, or that failure begins in one point of impact and then radiates outward? Now imagine that we're not talking about impact, but a long term stress event.
The problem many people have is the completely symmetrical, vertical nature of the collapse. Neither the fires nor the points of impact were symmetrically distributed. Nothing in nature falls like that.
"According to NIST, there was one primary reason for the building's failure: In an unusual design, the columns near the visible kinks were carrying exceptionally large loads, roughly 2000 sq. ft. of floor area for each floor. 'What our preliminary analysis has shown is that if you take out just one column on one of the lower floors,' Sunder notes, 'it could cause a vertical progression of collapse so that the entire section comes down.'
So all of these buildings had an "unusual design" ? OK fine. I can see "a vertical progression of collapse so that the entire section comes down". But the entire building collapsed, not just a section of it. Instantaneously, perfectly, all together. Again, that just doesn't happen. You have to make it happen.
Second, a fifth-floor fire burned for up to 7 hours. There was no firefighting in WTC 7,' Sunder says. Investigators believe the fire was fed by tanks of diesel fuel that many tenants used to run emergency generators. Most tanks throughout the building were fairly small, but a generator on the fifth floor was connected to a large tank in the basement via a pressurized line. Says Sunder: 'Our current working hypothesis is that this pressurized line was supplying fuel [to the fire] for a long period of time.'"
"current hypothesis". Now who's a theorist?

What was pressurizing the line? Pumps? If they were electrically powered, wouldn't someone have turned them OFF? They'd have to move a lot of diesel up five floors for quite a while to make a fire big enough to melt steel. Why didn't anyone see these raging, diesel-fuelled fires? We saw and firefighters reported small, cool fires, just like the ones in WTC 1 and 2. These were nothing like the raging infernos in other buildings referenced by Colin.
...You said before that there was no precedent for this event, building don't just collapse. Well, it turn out they do, especially if they have an "unusual design" which creates singular (as in not reproducible in other buildings with different designs) problems and failures...
Where? Show us another example of a symmetrical, vertical collapse due to fire or impact of a high-rise steel framed building anywhere, ever.
... can we agree that the answer to the original question must be "no"? I ask on the basis that if you don't have enough "Questions" to warrant a claim of conspiracy, then you must agree that the conspiracy theories themselves don't hold water.
Some of the conspiracy theories do not "hold water". Holographic aircraft, for example, or "there was no flight 83", or "remote-controlled aircraft". A lot of the stuff you see is obviously silly.

But many, many questions remain unanswered.

Where, for example, was the USAF?

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:02 pm

glasseye wrote:
Lanval wrote:Colin,

Downward force:

So it's the dynamic load of all those floors crashing vertically down that caused each successive floor to collapse? Then why don't we see a pancake of floors arranged around the central core? That central core was massive.
Lanval wrote:Why do you keep arguing X isn't possible? Show me an example of another building built like this one sustaining similar damage... Oh? There isn't one? Then how can you be so certain about what must happen?
The above paragraph begins with the statement that "The steel wasn't melted". OK, fine. Then what was that orange-yellow liquid pouring from the windows? What was that stuff dripping from the beams and laying in pools for weeks after? A reservoir of heat so large and intense that NASA commented on it.
Lanval wrote:Show me a citation. I give you facts, you give me your opinion. Everything in the preceding statement is garbage until you cite someone, somewhere, of verifiable authority.
The problem many people have is the completely symmetrical, vertical nature of the collapse. Neither the fires nor the points of impact were symmetrically distributed. Nothing in nature falls like that.

Lanval wrote:"Nothing in nature falls like that." According to whom? You? Are you God?

1. Building aren't natural
2. Who are you to make a categorical statement about what nature can or can't do?

So all of these buildings had an "unusual design" ? OK fine. I can see "a vertical progression of collapse so that the entire section comes down". But the entire building collapsed, not just a section of it. Instantaneously, perfectly, all together. Again, that just doesn't happen. You have to make it happen.
Lanval wrote:I can barely contain my invective. "That just doesn't happen" is in no way fact; it's your opinion, and clearly founded on ignorance. Sorry, it can, and has happened.

"current hypothesis". Now who's a theorist?
Lanval wrote:All science, indeed all knowledge, operates on a 'best theory' practice. Germ theory is just that, but I bet you'll take antibiotics when you're life is in danger.

Where? Show us another example of a symmetrical, vertical collapse due to fire or impact of a high-rise steel framed building anywhere, ever.
Lanval wrote:WTC7. Or is there never a "first time" in your world?
Some of the conspiracy theories do not "hold water". Holographic aircraft, for example, or "there was no flight 83", or "remote-controlled aircraft". A lot of the stuff you see is obviously silly.

But many, many questions remain unanswered.
Lanval wrote:only for those who have a preconceived belief that doesn't fit the facts; the questions are answered, you just don't like them. Too bad.
Where, for example, was the USAF?
Really? This has been answered many, many times, in stunning detail so that anyone, even those without a base familiarity with the American gov't and structure can understand it. Allow me:

From the same Pop Mech article (which unlike ALL of your claims, cites quotes, people and data)

"Intercepts Not Routine
Claim: "It has been standard operating procedures for decades to immediately intercept off-course planes that do not respond to communications from air traffic controllers," says the Web site oilempire.us. "When the Air Force 'scrambles' a fighter plane to intercept, they usually reach the plane in question in minutes."

FACT: In the decade before 9/11, NORAD intercepted only one civilian plane over North America: golfer Payne Stewart's Learjet, in October 1999. With passengers and crew unconscious from cabin decompression, the plane lost radio contact but remained in transponder contact until it crashed. Even so, it took an F-16 1 hour and 22 minutes to reach the stricken jet. Rules in effect back then, and on 9/11, prohibited supersonic flight on intercepts. Prior to 9/11, all other NORAD interceptions were limited to offshore Air Defense Identification Zones (ADIZ). "Until 9/11 there was no domestic ADIZ," FAA spokesman Bill Schumann tells PM. After 9/11, NORAD and the FAA increased cooperation, setting up hotlines between ATCs and NORAD command centers, according to officials from both agencies. NORAD has also increased its fighter coverage and has installed radar to monitor airspace over the continent."

Question answered. Again.

I'm done with this "conversation" ~ nothing will convince you you're wrong; I can't prove you're wrong categorically, because it's difficult to prove something doesn't exist, particularly when there are so many variables. The bottom line is that you're questions have been answered. The most logical explanation turns out to be the simplest. Whether you can accept that is up to you; I can only show you the door to set you free; you have to step through.

Mike

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:25 am

Lanval wrote: Question answered. Again.
Huh? "Again"? I asked several pointed questions and you addressed none of them. Not one. Rather poor rebuttal, IMHO.

By quoting an old article in a mass circulation magazine that describes a completely unrelated incident, you defend the biggest domestic failing of America's armed forces since Canadians wupped yo' asses in 1812? Again, weak.
I'm done with this "conversation" ~ nothing will convince you you're wrong;
I'm not "wrong", any more than you're "right". I simply have unanswered questions.

To end this "conversation", I'll quote myself:

"The only story more preposterous than "It was an inside job" is the story they tried to sell us."

Oh, and I'll open and close my own doors, thank you.

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:53 am

"The only story more preposterous than "It was an inside job" is the story the folks who believe it was an inside job tell to support their idea."
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.