the artic ice is melting!

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:57 am

It would be nice to take some of that "defense" $$ and apply it towards solar power research. We could be a leader.
Boy talk about the elephant in the room that no one wants to talk about...
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

blatzer
Getting Hooked!

Post by blatzer » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:16 am

i don't think the chinese political system get's them any credit on the 'green' side
Enlighten the people, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like spirits at the dawn of day.
Thomas Jefferson

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:25 am

Amskeptic wrote:
turk wrote: With scant evidence of a looming disaster, governmental instruments applied only redistribute wealth.
You should look more closely at China. They are jumping right past us in their acceptance of green technology. They are becoming l-e-a-d-e-r-s while we sit in the quagmire of fossil-fuel dinosaurs arguing over who is redistributing the wealth where. I had mentioned previously, turk, that every step we took to mitigate fossil fuel burning would not only hedge the bet against human-induced global climate change, but would be good for us in a myriad of ways. Yet, here we are losing the leadership to a culture that does not worry about "governmental instruments that redistribute the wealth". 1.Under your nose, turk, the looming disaster of corporate greed has sucked our people desperately dry and poorly educated to boot and seriously damaged our own culture's innovativeness and sense of the Possible. Meanwhile China is now the top producer of solar panels and windmills, the intellectual drain is actually beginning to go to China where they are experimenting with city layouts and traffic mitigation and pollution-control technology with growing scope and vision. That's where the jobs are too. Not us. We have John Boehner and Mitch McConnell and Sarah Palin, loons the lot of them squawking the same old ridiculous claptrap that has only accellerated our looming disaster of mediocrity. It is a damn shame. 2.The people who refuse to interpret the science of global warming are the very same people who do not understand that you do not control a deficit by this insane refusal to bring tax rates back to where they once were when we did have a grip on Reality. So in fact, we are losing jobs and tax revenue. Nice job, idiots.
Colin

LOL. "Under my nose". That's deep. It fits the pitch of the rest of the paragraph. (sigh)

It is a combination of factors that results in jobs and tech being shipped to China. Your favorite party ideology is just as culpable. If we are going to retain industry and manufacturing jobs we have to compete with zero regulation : no OSHA, no E.P.A., no big labor unions, etc.. China, India, etc. They pollute more than us. But the segue to your next claim,
We have John Boehner and Mitch McConnell and Sarah Palin, loons the lot of them squawking the same old ridiculous claptrap that has only accellerated our looming disaster of mediocrity. It is a damn shame.

... was missing. :geek:
Oh right. It WAS conservative thinking in general that brought our educational system to its knees and created the looming disaster of mediocrity. Riiiight. Explain Padre.

2. LOL. So it's a direct correlation between "interpreting the science of Global Warming", and .. "not understand that you do not control a deficit by this insane refusal to bring tax rates back to where they once were when we did have a grip on Reality." I see the link and it strengthens the case for Climate Change, I mean Global Warming, er I meant Climate Change, nah, just call it Global Climate Disruption now. That's three re-brandings in ten years. Nice.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:43 am

Yeah, it's a mindset alright. Zero regulation. Back to Robber Baron days. Gasoline onto the fire.

That model was already tried, thus OSHA, unions, etc.

Apparently since China and India pollute more than us that gives us license to pollute more. Childish.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:45 pm

You guys figure this shit out yet? Better hurry- water's rising. We need you, Obie Wan Kenobi.

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:21 pm

ruckman101 wrote:Yeah, it's a mindset alright. Zero regulation. Back to Robber Baron days. Gasoline onto the fire.

That model was already tried, thus OSHA, unions, etc.

Apparently since China and India pollute more than us that gives us license to pollute more. Childish.

neal
Uh huh, that's what I am suggesting. How about focussing on POLLUTANTS? What's childish is 'Global Climate Disruption'. That's Orwellian. Newspeak is a theory in which Thoughtcrime is impossible. See Orwell. Shocked at your horse-blinded logic since you claim to be a fan of Douglas Adams.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:30 pm

And Terry Gilliam. Tom Waits as Satan was perfect.

The Koch brothers thank you.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

blatzer
Getting Hooked!

Post by blatzer » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:57 am

You guys figure this shit out yet? Better hurry- water's rising.

Where?
Enlighten the people, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like spirits at the dawn of day.
Thomas Jefferson

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:13 am

blatzer wrote:You guys figure this shit out yet? Better hurry- water's rising.

Where?
That's not the point. The point is that it is urgent and imperative that we solve this here at IAC and that turk drives the effort forward at any cost. It is a dire situation that requires us to forget all other concerns.

I am on the edge of my seat.

blatzer
Getting Hooked!

Post by blatzer » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:13 am

sitting here with the morning cup, thinking how blessed i am to have visionaries like al gore to explain why it's 20 degrees colder than normal this morning!
Thomas Jefferson

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:26 am

blatzer wrote:sitting here with the morning cup, thinking how blessed i am to have visionaries like al gore to explain why it's 20 degrees colder than normal this morning!
Something tells me that on the mornings that you feel blessed, you don't head for the IAC to stir the shitpot. :geek:

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:14 pm

blatzer wrote:sitting here with the morning cup, thinking how blessed i am to have visionaries like al gore to explain why it's 20 degrees colder than normal this morning!
"Don't be stupid you moron"
Howard Stern's Dad cerca 1960

You are NOT going to be that small-minded, blatzer.
Colin
(p.s. it has already explained why you are going to feel colder . . . the Arctic ice melt is denser than Gulf Stream, which is getting pushed further out into the Atlantic. This allows the jet stream to dip lower over the continental land mass. First explained in the NYT in 1995)
(p.s.ii 2010 is shaping up to be yet another hottest year on record, which has happened 10 times in the last 12 years)
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:41 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
"Don't be stupid you moron"
Howard Stern's Dad cerca 1960

You are NOT going to be that small-minded, blatzer.
Colin
(p.s. it has already explained why you are going to feel colder . . . the Arctic ice melt is denser than Gulf Stream, which is getting pushed further out into the Atlantic. This allows the jet stream to dip lower over the continental land mass. First explained in the NYT in 1995)
(p.s.ii 2010 is shaping up to be yet another hottest year on record, which has happened 10 times in the last 12 years)
Ok, tell us how the "arctic ice melt is 'denser' than Gulf Stream", knowitall. How does this contribute to your hobby horse of Global Climate Disruption Padre?

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:31 pm

Water expands when warmed and also when frozen. When not frozen but also not above a certain temperature, it becomes more dense. IOW water is most dense at a specific temperature range, I believe that's how it works.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:06 pm

turk wrote:Ok, tell us how the "arctic ice melt is 'denser' than Gulf Stream", knowitall. How does this contribute to your hobby horse of Global Climate Disruption Padre?
Calm yourself, turk. I am sharing information that I read. That does not make me a "knowitall", it makes me an engaged participant in a discussion. You do know that salt water is substantially less dense as is warmer water than ice melt. I think the article originated at that commie-rag, The National Geographic, and was picked up by the NYT.

My current job, turk, is to drive into people's driveways and share my "expertise" or knowledge with no hope of escape, I am actually showing people in real-time what I know or don't know. I can't bullshit, I can't call them "from the shop" with some crazy story, there they are and there I am and the car either starts or doesn't. I like that sort of accountability. Makes you humble when the car doesn't hew to the story line. I like to think that that sort of credibility undergirds my conversations here in Free Speech. Many of the people I share conversations with here, also shared conversations with me in their driveways as we worked on their cars.

I was wondering what is your credibility/expertise/knowledge here? What can we look to, to assess your credibility/authority/humility with your unsupported heckling and nastiness and God knows what proof of any sort of expertise you possess in whatever your profession happens to be at present. What exactly do you personally *have* to know?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles