Warming Not Cooling <8-O

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Re: Warming Not Cooling <8-O

Post by Gypsie » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:38 pm

turk wrote:The scientific authority has it at 391 ppm right now. So, lets say 390 out of 1,000,000. That is .00039, let's round it to .0004, which is .04% The IPCC says in its assessment, humans' CO2 is just around 5% of all that atmospheric CO2. So, 5%, or .05, of .04%, or .0004 equals .00002. Which is 2/100,000 of 1 percent. Okay?
I am glad it wasn't really that high. I was getting nervous. Thank you for clarifying.

Graphs like these are hard to reconcile as they compress the years into easily viewed images.

Suffice it to say that I wonder what kind of life is sustainable in the eras where the average temp is so much higher.

Will wheat grow? corn? beans? What kind of plants will grow. What kind of animals?

Average temps don't show the extremes. How high will the summer temps be? How low the winters?
If believable, it appears that CO2 hasn't been above 300ppm for the past 400 thousand years.

I really don't know what the answers are but it really does concern me that the earth as we know it, the earth (and it's biosphere) that birthed the life forms that we know, is showing a rapid change in it's make up

If we continue the trend of CO2 increases, how long will it take to increase the temps to a point of imbalance? Evolution takes time and speeding up the process can't be helpful.

Curiouser and curiouser.
Attachments
paleocarbon.JPG
Mauna_Loa_Carbon_Dioxide-en_svg.JPG
Carbon_Dioxide_400kyr.JPG
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:39 pm

Here's another thing, in my opinion there's nothing humans can do that the earth hasn't already done a zillion times better! But seriously, we are deluded to think the sky is gonna fall because of us. I like the Carlin bit about the people who claim to care about the environment: They don't care. They're more concerned with their habitat and keeping it clean and convenient for them. Unenlightened self-interest. That's all it is when you strip away the self-important concern for the earth. The earth is fine. Of course pollution and all that is bad and we can reduce ours, and we will. The continents were different 65 million years ago. There were no Himalayas. The Atlantic was much smaller. Things change on Planet Earth!
A man said to the universe, "Sir I exist! "However," replied the universe, "the fact has not created in me a sense of obligation."

"Let me be perfectly clear" "[...] And so that was just a example of a new senator, you know, making what is a political vote as opposed to doing what was important for the country." Barry Sotero

grandfatherjim
Addicted!

Post by grandfatherjim » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:51 pm

I don't think the earth ever detonated its own nuclear bomb.

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:56 pm

Just volcanos more powerful than any nuclear weapon.
A man said to the universe, "Sir I exist! "However," replied the universe, "the fact has not created in me a sense of obligation."

"Let me be perfectly clear" "[...] And so that was just a example of a new senator, you know, making what is a political vote as opposed to doing what was important for the country." Barry Sotero

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:27 pm

Wild oysters are becoming extinct.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:41 pm

Wi-hi-hi-ooilllld oysterrssss
couldn't drag me ah-wayyyyyyyyy
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:58 pm

Tasty little stomachs. The highlight of my San Juan sailing trip was collecting up a dinner of wild oysters on the beach of Stuart Island. Dusted in crumbled saltine crackers and pan-fried in butter with chopped wild onion. Amazing the life crawling all over a beach when it isn't overrun with people poking at things with sticks.

neal

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:47 am

turk wrote:Just volcanos more powerful than any nuclear weapon.
Oh please.

What volcano is so rude as to spring totally unannounced in a city and melt people's eyeballs and damage their DNA for generations?
Listen to Hiroshima and Nagasaki survivors . . . there is a gulf of a difference between a natural and man made disaster.

Yes, we should be humble in the presence of nature and Earth dynamics and still show some respect by not being too arrogant as to dismiss our contributions to the despoiling and imbalancing of our habitat. If we can dig up archeological detrius from thousands of years ago, what do you suppose is happening with our dumps and chemical brown fields and Texas-sized floating plastic trash on the Pacific?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:17 am

Wow how the topic meanders. Big rivers meander. Rivers are the oldest geographic features of land forms. See the Colorado. Your damned right Volcanos erupt without warning. Mt. Vesuvius.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:46 am

What is the half-life of ash and lava?

neal

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:09 pm

hambone wrote:Wi-hi-hi-ooilllld oysterrssss
couldn't drag me ah-wayyyyyyyyy

Now that is just "Way Funny" along with neal telling of people poking things with a stick. :biggrin:

Thanks for the giggle from my cyber friends.

Barb
'69 weekender ~ Elwood

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:32 pm

"Weighing in at 1,250 pounds (567 kilograms), Marina Wilson’s champion steer Grandview Rebel is ready for auction at a county fair in Maryland. Raising this steer has taken an agricultural investment equal to 283 gallons (1,071 liters) of oil, represented here by the red drums. That includes everything from fertilizers on cornfields to the diesel that runs machinery on the farm. Overall, it takes three-quarters of a gallon of oil to produce a pound of beef."

neal

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:06 pm

So, from the horse's mouth, (maybe there is hope for impartial science in public funded bureaucracies): http://www.climatewatch.noaa.gov/2010/a ... ows/all/1/

deschutestrout
IAC Addict!

Post by deschutestrout » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:19 pm

What's the 'lil paper clip lookin' thingy on the thread title in the forum? Just curious...haven't seen it before.
"You're not always obligated to paint an outhouse." Ruckman 2011

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:57 pm

deschutestrout wrote:What's the 'lil paper clip lookin' thingy on the thread title in the forum? Just curious...haven't seen it before.
Something about a lot of attachments.
ColinYourAdministrator?
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles