What Is Really Happening

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:50 pm

ruckman101 wrote:The above makes no sense to me in any way shape or form, other than I recognize that there are words typed out. I haven't a clue.
neal
It's a software problem. Until turk 3.0.01 is released, we're gonna have to put up with that kind of meaningless ASCII. I tried translating it with Google, but it crashed Google.
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:09 pm

glasseye wrote:
ruckman101 wrote:The above makes no sense to me in any way shape or form, other than I recognize that there are words typed out. I haven't a clue.
neal
It's a software problem. Until turk 3.0.01 is released, we're gonna have to put up with that kind of meaningless ASCII. I tried translating it with Google, but it crashed Google.
Don't ya' mean: (in computer generated voice-tone) LaLaLaLaLa I Can't Hear You. LaLaLaLaLa I Can't Hear You. LaLaLaLaLa I Can't Hear You. La.La..La...La ....laaa . I .... can't ...... hear ........ you. (pitch down, inflection slows, program self-destroys).
A man said to the universe, "Sir I exist! "However," replied the universe, "the fact has not created in me a sense of obligation."

"Let me be perfectly clear" "[...] And so that was just a example of a new senator, you know, making what is a political vote as opposed to doing what was important for the country." Barry Sotero

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:49 pm

No, I mean I don't understand what you are trying to communicate. Not a clue on that last one. Except for myself being superior. Thanks. Oh, and a sense of snarkiness.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:37 pm

It's a complicated subject, but there are some things which everyone should get, more or less, allowing for some sarcasm and irony of intention. One such thing is the ever present implications of the corporations eating society, turning this nation into a "third-world" country. It's an interesting topic, and it's been beaten like a dead horse with superficial arguments. I'd like to hear something more in depth as to what the solution to this foreboding is. At present, the problem seems on the not too distant horizon, or is manifest in American society right now. What I see with my own eyes is lower crime, better technology, better living conditions, more of everything material in everybody's hands. But we know people are spending more than they have, in general. The debt is growing. So, it seems some people expect the government to do something about it. More centralized command to head off this growing threat to society. Is this correct? Is this what the logic is behind the stimuli, the health care insurance, and the bail-outs of private "too-big-to-fail" corporations is? What is the threat to society that people are articulating here? The gap between the classes? That's it in a nutshell? Let me know.
A man said to the universe, "Sir I exist! "However," replied the universe, "the fact has not created in me a sense of obligation."

"Let me be perfectly clear" "[...] And so that was just a example of a new senator, you know, making what is a political vote as opposed to doing what was important for the country." Barry Sotero

Highlander

Post by Highlander » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:26 pm

Turk, I have read your statements for years now. They always make me think.

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:06 pm

Since when did it become acceptable on this site to personally attack members? As far as I understood discussion and passionate disagreement was condoned and even encouraged with the hope the end result is an elevation of our understanding. If another member chooses to beat the proverbial horse to death so be it. We can choose to play or not but we don't engage in personal attacks. This is bullshit. I'm disgusted. Its time for me to move on.

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:08 pm

Right, so you think that's a valid answer to my question(s)? News flash to Highlander: people rant when challenging other people's a priori claims. If the latter have a justified claim they bring it (substantively) to the table. If not, the question remains unanswered, thus the debate. To answer your personal one: no, I don't medicate. Now, would you like to offer your opinion on the original topic, or just stay on the couch and stick with the short response and avoid the debate that is going on in the minds of many across the country today?

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:23 pm

RussellK wrote:Since when did it become acceptable on this site to personally attack members? As far as I understood discussion and passionate disagreement was condoned and even encouraged with the hope the end result is an elevation of our understanding. If another member chooses to beat the proverbial horse to death so be it. We can choose to play or not but we don't engage in personal attacks. This is bullshit. I'm disgusted. Its time for me to move on.
I appreciate your comment. Yes, I do beat a horse to death. I admit it freely. I think my line of inquiry is legit though. I do not claim that my own opinions are no less superficially explained than the original claims. Which keeps me addicted to the debate, hoping to get into the deeper reasons I don't buy the original claims. It's an exercise of a few things which this forum can facilitate, if we (myself included) can get past the personal attack mode.

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:28 pm

RussellK wrote:Since when did it become acceptable on this site to personally attack members? As far as I understood discussion and passionate disagreement was condoned and even encouraged with the hope the end result is an elevation of our understanding. If another member chooses to beat the proverbial horse to death so be it. We can choose to play or not but we don't engage in personal attacks. This is bullshit. I'm disgusted. Its time for me to move on.
If someone has made a personal attack on you in this forum please let Colin or I know.

Turk,

Same to you. If you find these to be personal attacks, please let us know. I think your a little more thick skinned than that though.

I personally enjoy your rantings even though I in no way agree with you. You provide us someone to debate/argue with rather than sitting here agreeing with each other. Love to meet for a beer if we're ever in the same neck of the woods.
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:47 pm

That was a very intelligent shout out in the thread Sluggo. I actually figured as much about you considering your prior contributions. The fact when someone shows restraint
in a discussion, rather than replying to everything ad hoc, and trying to justify it ad-lib (as I must admit I do too often), is something to respect.

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:52 pm

turk wrote:That was a very intelligent shout out in the thread Sluggo. I actually figured as much about you considering your prior contributions. The fact when someone shows restraint
in a discussion, rather than replying to everything ad hoc, and trying to justify it ad-lib (as I must admit I do too often), is something to respect.
Thanks. I've had my moments though.
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:05 pm

So corps poison the planet facilitating extractive industries without being held accountable for the damage to the environment their profit maximizing practices currently embrace, the climate shifts and wheat will no longer grow, except for the genetically modified Monsanto products, and laws are already in place to make it illegal to gather rainwater, goodness, when push comes to shove, and I can't afford my water bill, will I be left to die? Or conscripted into indentured labor, aka, a slave owned by corporations.

Thank goodness for US ingenuity, modern living through chemistry, keep things going long enough to get your ticket to the new utopia on Mars, if you can afford it.

Corporations are legally unable to do anything but focus on maximizing profits. A corporate entity cares about people as much as the planet does, not one whit. Currently corporations are frantically buying up as much farmland as they can get their hands on all over the world. Anyone who thinks corporations will ever give a rat's ass about people is seriously deluded. And the members of the elite class will only become smaller and more elite.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

Highlander

Post by Highlander » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:59 pm

I beg forgiveness if my earlier post was considered a personal attack. Far be it from me to question the argumentative superiority of another IAC member.

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:05 pm

ruckman101 wrote:So corps poison the planet facilitating extractive industries without being held accountable for the damage to the environment their profit maximizing practices currently embrace, the climate shifts and wheat will no longer grow, except for the genetically modified Monsanto products, and laws are already in place to make it illegal to gather rainwater, goodness, when push comes to shove, and I can't afford my water bill, will I be left to die? Or conscripted into indentured labor, aka, a slave owned by corporations.

Thank goodness for US ingenuity, modern living through chemistry, keep things going long enough to get your ticket to the new utopia on Mars, if you can afford it.

Corporations are legally unable to do anything but focus on maximizing profits. A corporate entity cares about people as much as the planet does, not one whit. Currently corporations are frantically buying up as much farmland as they can get their hands on all over the world. Anyone who thinks corporations will ever give a rat's ass about people is seriously deluded. And the members of the elite class will only become smaller and more elite.

neal
Interesting. So, corporations are the de facto shot-callers instead of the government "by the people". A "para-state" which transcends the nation states. This seems to make sense considering the various free-market agreements we've seen in recent times. Caterpillar is investing in a plant in China now, etc.. The para-state corp. enriches itself and avoids taxation by the various nation states. At some point, I would think some of these nation states will want better benefits for their workers, for their farms and resources. China has apparently grown with its adoption of state-controlled capitalism in the last twenty years. American corps. outsource labor to India, China, Mexico, etc. to get cheaper overhead for manufactured products to be sold to us and the global market. I'm trying to get a handle on what the line between nation states and the para-states truly are, and where they're drawn. It would seem the profits taken by them the nation states do not enjoy the benefits of.

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:12 pm

I'm tired of this bullshit too, but it's a different kind of bullshit I am smelling.

Namely, any of you who don't see turk's posts as personal attacks are fucking blind.

And if you agree that he fires personal attacks on a daily basis but you expect others to be "big" enough to sit by and tolerate it, you are asking far too much.

Bullshit, indeed. Stinks to high heaven, if you ask me.