What Is Really Happening

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:36 am

This thread has gone the way of many threads here. Funny how that happens. I think they call it homogenization.

The same thing happened to America over the past 20 years. You can now drive across America and every town looks the same... Exit 1, gas station, McDonald's, Home Depot... Exit 2, gas station, McDonald's, Home Depot... Exit 233, gas station, McDonald's, Home Depot. All the towns started out with a unique character but after the miles and years are put behind them, they all became the same, like a genetically stabilized population of lab rats.

The posts I can see in this thread though have been very impressive. There have been a few that are downright awe-inspiring.

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:48 am

Velokid1 wrote:This thread has gone the way of many threads here. Funny how that happens. I think they call it homogenization.

The same thing happened to America over the past 20 years. You can now drive across America and every town looks the same... Exit 1, gas station, McDonald's, Home Depot... Exit 2, gas station, McDonald's, Home Depot... Exit 233, gas station, McDonald's, Home Depot. .
This is one of the things I hate about America nowdays, the corporate stripmalls in every town. I can drive around Miami nowdays and I think I am in Phoenix or Walnut Creek Calif so hiphip hurrah for the GOP and outsourcing! All America is now is one big shopping mall, hurray!
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:04 am

Are conservatives the only ones responsible for outsourcing? I don't know and am curious. Most of this shit went down when I was too young to really care to be aware and informed... but it feels to me like outsourcing really kicked into high gear during Clinton's presidency.

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:20 am

The folks on this forum see things in shades of grey. That is one should remain open to all of the possibilities until it can be proven conclusive. I just read this article, http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/arc ... ce/8269/1/ about medical science for instance, it is frequently wrong at worst and inclusive at best. The weather persons don't always get it right, why should long range climate forecasts be any better? My conclusion is that man might or might not be affecting the planet's temperature. Believing anything to the contrary requires a degree of faith and I think that we either have forgotten that or doing want to admit it.
1975 Riviera we call "Spider-Man"

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:39 am

BellePlaine wrote:The folks on this forum see things in shades of grey. That is one should remain open to all of the possibilities until it can be proven conclusive. I just read this article, http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/arc ... ce/8269/1/ about medical science for instance, it is frequently wrong at worst and inclusive at best. The weather persons don't always get it right, why should long range climate forecasts be any better? My conclusion is that man might or might not be affecting the planet's temperature. Believing anything to the contrary requires a degree of faith and I think that we either have forgotten that or doing want to admit it.
How many "things" that mankind has done/accomplished were done without a leap of faith, though? What the heck is this, another OJ trial where we only take action when we are 110% positive that something is true? Or is this real life, where we admit the fact that nothing is ever 110% conclusive and if we wait around for things to be 110% conclusive, we will fester in our own juices endlessly.

This stuff about needing every scientist on the planet to agree before we take any action is accomplishing nothing. We have completely eddied out on the fossil fuel dependency issue, for instance, and it's solely because of the debate that has been invented around Climate Change With a Capital C, authored singe-handedly by Al Gore.

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:27 am

IMO what it is a huge bandwagon which can include all the social ills you wanna pin on it such as prostitution in Cambodia, or as Amskeptic likes to say "poverty" - that old standard. The fact that no one really knows, only gives the whole runaway train more credence in the eyes of the faux pissed off wannabes and of course the grants are easier to get if no one knows yet the threat is real and unknown at once. That's how the "consensus" gets depicted. It's false of course. And the fact everyone seems to know based on their news sources and oh yeah, big corporate funding, and their self-righteous indignation about saving the planet is pure horseshit. Don't tell 'em I said so. They'll get all self-righteous and try to mock me. Oh the humanity. HAha.
A man said to the universe, "Sir I exist! "However," replied the universe, "the fact has not created in me a sense of obligation."

"Let me be perfectly clear" "[...] And so that was just a example of a new senator, you know, making what is a political vote as opposed to doing what was important for the country." Barry Sotero

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:44 pm

Curious though, that those fighting the hardest to muddy the issue are those who stand the most to lose.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:33 pm

How do you figure who is fighting harder to "muddy" the issue? First off, let's be clear (lol), which issue specifically? Lizard populations? Haha. Like there is a central database on worldwide lizard populations. Ummm, how about the ocean "acidification" causing coral reefs to decline? Is that really happenin? The oceans' PH is alkaline, but a slight (less than a full stop) toward basic was detected in places. No reliably complete data through the past to compare that to show an anomaly. How about temperatures? Same story. Ice? Same story. How about prostitutes in IndoChina? What issues do you want to talk about "muddying" and who's doing it? I'll bet my paycheck it's the Big Oil argument again. But what does it matter? The real "issue" isn't any of the above. It's really getting off fossil fuels. That's what it really is. See, Americans are dumb people. Obama knows that. It doesn't matter what the issue is. It's just that corporations are seen as bad, and "poor people" in say, Bangladesh, need to be paid for the damage the dumb Americans "did" to the climate, or "will do" , -again, it does not matter. As long as we get that warm fuzzy feeling, nothin' else matters. We can! Meanwhile, Cuba leased waters out of the U.S. regulatory jurisdiction to Russia, China, etc. for deepwater drilling. Let's see who gets to pay when another accident happens due to poor regulation now. BTW, if you've ever looked at where the rigs in the Gulf are, there's I think 30,000 at least. That's in American waters. Not bad that they operated all that time without a problem. But we know who the bad guys are. <sarc-OFF>
A man said to the universe, "Sir I exist! "However," replied the universe, "the fact has not created in me a sense of obligation."

"Let me be perfectly clear" "[...] And so that was just a example of a new senator, you know, making what is a political vote as opposed to doing what was important for the country." Barry Sotero

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:43 pm

So. Could someone, turk perhaps, please take it upon themselves to summarize this thread so that it can be closed? Say a maximum of three concise sentences in order that those who come upon it in the future are spared the onerous labour of reading it?

I sense a certain miasma closing in. :pale:
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:44 pm

airkooledchris wrote:too bad our water isn't contaminated with MDMA, then nobody would care about the rest of the pollution. you wants a hug?
It is... And countless other pharmies.

Sorry for the seemingly un-related non-seq, but I couldn't resist making the comparison between the dumb kid who "knows his drugs" and Turk who "knows his climate science".

Everyone on this forum, myself included, is a Fucking Idiot. It's part of being human. Admit it and move on.

When the forecast calls for rain we bring an umbrella, even though we've seen the meteorologist be wrong many times before. Why? Because he's also been right many times before and knows more about the weather than most of us ever will. Better to buy and umbrella and not have it rain, at least either way you're dry.

PS: Don't mind me, I love making drug references here. That's a whole 'nother topic, that like CC, makes the idiot come out in many people. And I don't mean by ingesting them....

Plus it helps to completely change the subject without changing the reasoning. Puts things into perspective, at least if one is not too guarded to see their own reflection.
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:04 pm

glasseye wrote:So. Could someone, turk perhaps, please take it upon themselves to summarize this thread so that it can be closed? Say a maximum of three concise sentences in order that those who come upon it in the future are spared the onerous labour of reading it?

I sense a certain miasma closing in. :pale:
"What is Really Happening?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:26 am

turk wrote:
glasseye wrote: I sense a certain miasma closing in.
"What is Really Happening?"
Read the "We Are A Banana" thread.

It is really happening, turk. We are being duped by large corporate interests. Look at the stats, turk. The top of the food chain here in the U.S. has taken more and more.

. . . and as damnable as anything about the whole sorry "debate", they do not wish there to be global warming. The arguments sound suspiciously similar to the arguments about why we need to extend the stupid immoral Bush tax cuts. If you do not kiss their ass, turk, you will lose your job. Dupe.
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:51 am

Wanna enable the one percent making twenty five percent of this nations profits who are doing it through the corporate free market experiment that has crashed and burned in a pile of flaming greed the poor get to bail out.

Third worldizing this nation.

Help the corporate elite control our food and water.

Or maybe get all mushy and lib and realize we are all people on earth trying to cope with the ramifications of the current imperialism.

Myself, I'm on the side of folks, not corps.

neal

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:28 am

Who dya' think is gonna "pay" for all the "wealth redistribution"? Not you and me? Okaaaaaaay. BTW on topic, one of the IPCC lead authors recently admitted that's what the main purpose of it is. The "truth" is coming out. Has been in little pieces for the time we have seen the Obama administration with congress push its agenda on a reluctant citizenry. Those rubes. They don't don't know what's good for 'em. So says Obama and Pelosi and the good "folks". Ah, it's the "moral" way. Eventually the rubes will get it when we set up the world guv. system regulating everything for their own good. The green jobs and such. Okaaaaaaaaay.

You guys are superior human beings. That's it. :pirate:

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:43 pm

The above makes no sense to me in any way shape or form, other than I recognize that there are words typed out. I haven't a clue.

neal