Is this what we've become?

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:30 am

It's like coca leaf between gum with a bit of ash, and crack cocaine. Cocaine is cocaine. All cocaine. No difference, except in that absorbtion rate/other complex compounds issue. Poppie tea? or China White.

Throw in some salt and fat, mmmm, good eats, health industry dream patient.

Killing us kindly with cheap food.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:27 am

I'm getting the sense that the locally grown/organic/whole foods movement (ideology?) seems to be growing. I'm seeing way more organic foods offered at our chain grocery store, we now have farm-to-table style restaurants, and two CSA's just popped up very close to me. Heck, even McDonalds offers healthier foods.

I haven't thought about why this trend might be happening. Be it government regulation or the market responding to demand, but I'm hoping that mostly it's the free market.
1975 Riviera we call "Spider-Man"

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:37 am

It's happening because the news outlets are actually discussing the way that overly processed "foods" are effecting the health of Americans and people are better informed and there is a small shift in the buying habits of many.

My opinion based on observation, I should say.

I should also say that I am biased because I have long believed that food whose foundation rests in photosynthesis and food choices that take into account the evolution of human physiology are the proper ones to eat if health and longevity are your concern.

Government regulation and subsidization of crops has for a very long time encouraged Americans to eat unhealthy foods derived from unsustainable agricultural methods. It wasn't the free market that delivered us to being the Corn Race we are now.

rmannon
Getting Hooked!

Post by rmannon » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:51 pm

Out here on the west coast we are kind of lucky. We even have fast food restaurants that specialize in locally grown products. Burgerville rules in my book. WallaWalla onion rings, sweet potato fries, and all the nutrition info for your order is on your receipt. I think they try and buy all their beef from the NW as well. Granted it does all come down to knowing exactly what you are eating. A lot of people have no idea where food comes from.
Linux: the choice of a GNU generation

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:40 pm

Mmmm!!! Burgerville!!!

- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!