Borrowed from Facebook. Message to the Tea Party...

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:03 pm

I'm consistent. :pirate:
A man said to the universe, "Sir I exist! "However," replied the universe, "the fact has not created in me a sense of obligation."

"Let me be perfectly clear" "[...] And so that was just a example of a new senator, you know, making what is a political vote as opposed to doing what was important for the country." Barry Sotero

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:46 pm

turk wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:
Statistics show we will be "less rich" in the future. I do have a problem with that. See, I have been exposed to "definitely rich" probably more than most "less rich"s, and understand viscerally, morally, ethically, sensibly, intellectually, that there is no good goddamn reason on Earth that some 2% of the self-proclaimed superior capitalist giants should hoard 25% of the nation's wealth as they claim that paying their historically fair share of taxes somehow "kills jobs". But that's just me.
I'm taking this on. This is fundamental to the idea of America put forward by the founders. First off, how to define "less rich". I presume you mean the stats showing a disparity between top and bottom, thus less rich. In my experience, the spectrum in between has indeed gotten the benefits of the technological advances seen in the last 70 years.
Human nature being what it is, you will not find human beings who take comfort in the fact that their 1992 Chevy Citation has better brakes than the Chevy Straight 6 of 1933.

That the current poor and lower middle class is in actuality doing better than the middle class of 1962, is not going to mollify the anger nor reduce the intrinsic unfairness and immorality of the current growing inequity.

As importantly, the reasons for the current inequity are more dangerous than in the past. In the past, it was understood that America was building a modern society and though not all were getting pulled up equally, the direction was up.

Now we have people going *down*. Educational competence, expected lifespan, infant mortality, income, wealth, retirement portfolios, included.
As the markets like to talk about "perceptions" as a driver of the stock market, "perceptions" are also powerful forces behind people's dreams and dismays. The danger of social instability is not going to be mitigated by the ubiquitous availablility of plasma TVs.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:08 pm

Amskeptic wrote: Human nature being what it is, you will not find human beings who take comfort in the fact that their 1992 Chevy Citation has better brakes than the Chevy Straight 6 of 1933. [...]
The danger of social instability is not going to be mitigated by the ubiquitous availablility of plasma TVs.
Colin
LOL.. Okay. Well, I see yer point. I think there are good points in both ideological camps regarding social stability. Happy Thanksgiving.
A man said to the universe, "Sir I exist! "However," replied the universe, "the fact has not created in me a sense of obligation."

"Let me be perfectly clear" "[...] And so that was just a example of a new senator, you know, making what is a political vote as opposed to doing what was important for the country." Barry Sotero